If you are skidding, what do you do to recover

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are skidding, what do you do to recover

I know this sounds dumb, but I was driving a sl300, not my car and I started skidding and hit the curb, just realignment damage. So in the future, with stock tires how fast can you go around a corner safetly, and if you do start to skid how do you recover, do you hold down the brakes cuz of ABS and just steer the opposite direction of the skid? Sorry for the stupid questions
Old 09-21-2002, 06:16 PM
Ain't No Other...

for most drivers that are not professionals or do not have experienced emergency recover skills, the best thing to do is, dont press any pedals, such as gas or brake (let go of all foot pedals), then steer (point the nose) the car towards the direction you want to go...then once you gain control, slowly brake...
Old 09-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
sound like you experienced understeer

you went into a corner too hot. you have to brake before turning the wheel on a turn. Front wheel drive cars corner better when giving it a little gas at the apex point of a turn.

if you go into a turn too hot then try to turn, your car will continue it's forward motion and you will hit the curb. brake before the turn and enter it at a reasonable speed so that you avoid understeer.

dont ever turn the wheel more than you need to. for example, let's say that the very top of your steering wheel is 12'oclock. make the top go farther than 3'oclock turning right, or 9'oclock turning left. if you turn the wheel more than that, then you will have turned too much and your tires will skid if you are going too fast. your moment will continue forward as they are skidding on the sidewalls of your tires.

put your hands on the steering wheel at the 9'oclock and 3'oclock positions and when you turn the wheel left and right without taking your hands off the wheel, you will see the 45'degree limit that you want to turn the wheel
Old 09-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
and tomorrow's lesson will be teaching you how to drift in a FWD car
Old 09-21-2002, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL300/300 SL ????
Old 09-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
sound like you experienced understeer

you went into a corner too hot. you have to brake before turning the wheel on a turn. Front wheel drive cars corner better when giving it a little gas at the apex point of a turn.

if you go into a turn too hot then try to turn, your car will continue it's forward motion and you will hit the curb. brake before the turn and enter it at a reasonable speed so that you avoid understeer.

dont ever turn the wheel more than you need to. for example, let's say that the very top of your steering wheel is 12'oclock. make the top go farther than 3'oclock turning right, or 9'oclock turning left. if you turn the wheel more than that, then you will have turned too much and your tires will skid if you are going too fast. your moment will continue forward as they are skidding on the sidewalls of your tires.

put your hands on the steering wheel at the 9'oclock and 3'oclock positions and when you turn the wheel left and right without taking your hands off the wheel, you will see the 45'degree limit that you want to turn the wheel
You mean you brake before the corner, i'll have to try that sometime
Old 09-21-2002, 10:31 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

*cough* e-brake .... I have videos *cough*

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
and tomorrow's lesson will be teaching you how to drift in a FWD car
Old 09-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally posted by digitalgm
*cough* e-brake .... I have videos *cough*
feel like posting them
Old 09-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Ok it was a Benz 93 Sl-300 or 300Sl whatever you wanna call it. It was wet out I took a corner fast trying to make a light. I want to know how to make sure I never make the mistake of skidding like that in my Cl-S. If that happens again I just dont do anything with the pedals and steer toward the direction that I want to go in? So then whats the point of having ABS. Also with the stock tires how fast can you normally go around a 45 degree turn with no skidding?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:50 PM
Racer

It depends on your tire pressure, but the stock tires on all cars suck. I know on my car I've got stock suspension with the stock rims 205/55/ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's... and I can take a 45 degree turn at about 90 MPH... I'm talking about on ramps... so, if you're talking about a 90 degree turn I can take it about 35-40... now, when you take these turns, you start wide and turn in, don't start in the lane, and then expect to make it... you have to hit the apex.

As far as the ABS, that helps in the rain, and helps inexperienced drivers who just slam on their brakes.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Ain't No Other...

I believe MB's old and new are RWD, if there are any exceptions, please feel free to correct me, so it is not understeer he experienced, RWD cars do slide a bit more during slippery conditions and especially if you gas it during a turn...
Old 09-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SinnedTL
I believe MB's old and new are RWD, if there are any exceptions, please feel free to correct me, so it is not understeer he experienced, RWD cars do slide a bit more during slippery conditions and especially if you gas it during a turn...
So true, that was a RWD car if I remember correctly, and you're right, RWD + rain = slow da fock down...