I want my 03 CL-S back

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want my 03 CL-S back

So I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 S-Line CVT with APR stage 1 chip, black on black now after my CL-S was flooded in the summer and got totaled. The Audi theoretically handles better and the interior is definitely an improvement with the Nav, and I have it basically fully loaded.

My 03 CL was black on black with intake, headers, springs, shocks, sways.

The Audi is more balanced on the road, but it just doesnt have the fun factor of the CL. Also, the 2.0 turbo sounds like a piece of shit. Just hitting the gas and hearing the beautiful sound of the engine with intake and headers sounded so good and made the car very fun to drive. Also the CL gave me no problems for the most part after 7 years,

the Audi already had a coil pack go bad, boost leak, and numerous CEL lights. Pain in the butt.

So for everyone who complains about their CL, I have to say I still love it and wish I had a 6 speed CL
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
i will drive mine till it dies, then rebuild it and drive it till acura makes a worthy coupe!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:54 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
So I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 S-Line CVT with APR stage 1 chip, black on black now after my CL-S was flooded in the summer and got totaled. The Audi theoretically handles better and the interior is definitely an improvement with the Nav, and I have it basically fully loaded.

My 03 CL was black on black with intake, headers, springs, shocks, sways.

The Audi is more balanced on the road, but it just doesnt have the fun factor of the CL. Also, the 2.0 turbo sounds like a piece of shit. Just hitting the gas and hearing the beautiful sound of the engine with intake and headers sounded so good and made the car very fun to drive. Also the CL gave me no problems for the most part after 7 years,

the Audi already had a coil pack go bad, boost leak, and numerous CEL lights. Pain in the butt.

So for everyone who complains about their CL, I have to say I still love it and wish I had a 6 speed CL
what do you expect with an audi, just wait till it gets even more miles on it (and if it already has 30-40k miles on it, the front suspension has proably already been rebuilt )
Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by friesm2000
what do you expect with an audi, just wait till it gets even more miles on it (and if it already has 30-40k miles on it, the front suspension has proably already been rebuilt )
I'm not saying I dont like the audi, it's a nice car, and overall I havent truly had that many problems with it...at least out of pocket. It already has high miles, 69k and it runs smoothly. It was cheap, just a 2 yr stop gap.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
B A N N E D

I'm not saying I dont like the audi, it's a nice car, and overall I havent truly had that many problems with it...at least out of pocket. It already has high miles, 69k and it runs smoothly. It was cheap, just a 2 yr stop gap.
so the front suspension has proably already been replaced twice :shakehead
but like you said as long as it has a warrenty it is a nice car, but once it is out of warrenty, it is not so nice of a car anymore (sell it befor the warrenty is over)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,152 Likes on 4,817 Posts
Thats actually nice to hear from a former owner. Im used to hearing former owners bitch about this and that.

Ive loved my car since the day I got it. The only way I see myself getting rid of it is if its totalled or stolen (I hope niether).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Making it Happen

so the front suspension has proably already been replaced twice :shakehead
but like you said as long as it has a warrenty it is a nice car, but once it is out of warrenty, it is not so nice of a car anymore (sell it befor the warrenty is over)
I have no clue what the heck you are talking about, it doesnt have any new front suspension. And it doesnt have warranty. And I'm okay with that.

The interior dominates the crap out of the CL, besides the seats, I like the audi and its a good car and value, just was saying that the CL is a fun car to drive even though people give it a lot of crap. The intake/header combo is intoxicating and the top end pull is great vs the audi which is a torque monster with the chip, but falls on its face high end
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
B A N N E D

I have no clue what the heck you are talking about, it doesnt have any new front suspension. And it doesnt have warranty. And I'm okay with that.

The interior dominates the crap out of the CL, besides the seats, I like the audi and its a good car and value, just was saying that the CL is a fun car to drive even though people give it a lot of crap. The intake/header combo is intoxicating and the top end pull is great vs the audi which is a torque monster with the chip, but falls on its face high end
alot of audis have issues with the front suspensions wearing out extremely earlier with only like 30-40K miles on them (you can feel play in the suspension when you check them) so they might have fixed it by the 2006's, but it was going on for at least a 10 good years before that for wearing out prematurely
it was/or still is common enough that you can go down to the local imports parts store (not the dealer) and go buy a complete front suspension kit to rebuild it with all new arms and such, and they would actually have it in stock, and it is not their main warehouse/store ethier

and i figure warrenty since you said "at least out of pocket"
Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Making it Happen

alot of audis have issues with the front suspensions wearing out extremely earlier with only like 30-40K miles on them (you can feel play in the suspension when you check them) so they might have fixed it by the 2006's, but it was going on for at least a 10 good years before that for wearing out prematurely
it was/or still is common enough that you can go down to the local imports parts store (not the dealer) and go buy a complete front suspension kit to rebuild it with all new arms and such, and they would actually have it in stock, and it is not their main warehouse/store ethier

and i figure warrenty since you said "at least out of pocket"
The hassle was CEL light "boost" leak, cost $50 to fix, had to replace 1 xenon bulb which i did by myself for $90. Coil pack getting reimbursed by audi due to recall. Other than that, everything so far so good. I think I'll go with the S5 next
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
B A N N E D

The hassle was CEL light "boost" leak, cost $50 to fix, had to replace 1 xenon bulb which i did by myself for $90. Coil pack getting reimbursed by audi due to recall. Other than that, everything so far so good. I think I'll go with the S5 next
also about that coil pack i would check all the wiring at the top of the engine (including injecter wiring), it likes to get a bit toasty up there, and the wiring insulation degrades where the wires like to short out to each other

and was that boost leak like a torn intercooler plumbing boot or something ??? the rubber is not the best, so don't get a girl pregenant too soon
Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Making it Happen

also about that coil pack i would check all the wiring at the top of the engine (including injecter wiring), it likes to get a bit toasty up there, and the wiring insulation degrades where the wires like to short out to each other

and was that boost leak like a torn intercooler plumbing boot or something ??? the rubber is not the best, so don't get a girl pregenant too soon
No boost leak is just because the guy who did my timing belt didnt tighten the hoses enough.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
sell it and buy a cl-s6
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I loved my A4

When it was running.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my CL-S, I want to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha i went the same way with my cars. selling my tl and going to audi. Audi has shitty handling quattro is like shit. even when the car is dumped the handling is still like shit no power. Even when i chipped it with a giac chip i had it boosting 18 psi's still slow. I ended up blowing the turbo, head, all coil packs going out, abs pump, cat broke off from weak welds. Ended up selling it for 2500 and picking up the cl 6 speed. BTW smoked a 02 s4 with my cl 6 speed taking a on ramp at 100. THEY HANDLE LIKE SHIT his car was swerving.

Last edited by victorvu; 12-06-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Your real problem for performance was the CVT tranny. I think you must also have FWD. Never go Audi without Quattro, missing out on the main reason of buying an Audi for any sort of performance. I had a 1.8T speed that had all kinds of coilpack issues. Now that it's gone, I got the letter about reimbursement for at least 4 service appointments.

If you don't have warranty, CPO would've been priced more than what you got but worth it for sure if you found one because maintenance is a biatch as for price. Mine was CPO and I drove it like I stole it but once I was out of my CPO limitations I had to let it go.

My 1.8T sounded fantastic with exhaust but on the Audi, the right exhaust setup is over $1000 for Milltek and a carb legal downpipe will set you bout another $4-500 and my car had a great tone. No V-6 of course but it was perfect for a turbo 4 cyl.

Lastly, you should just remove the stock DV because running chipped with that thing on is just going to cause issues fast because it's plastic and will begin to fail running the extra boost. Find yourself a Forge DV. They come with extra springs for adjustments and aren't made from plastic. Maybe $150 for that but it's an easy DIY.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by victorvu
haha i went the same way with my cars. selling my tl and going to audi. Audi has shitty handling quattro is like shit. even when the car is dumped the handling is still like shit no power. Even when i chipped it with a giac chip i had it boosting 18 psi's still slow. I ended up blowing the turbo, head, all coil packs going out, abs pump, cat broke off from weak welds. Ended up selling it for 2500 and picking up the cl 6 speed. BTW smoked a 02 s4 with my cl 6 speed taking a on ramp at 100. THEY HANDLE LIKE SHIT his car was swerving.
Holy crap man how did you blow your turbo? It's not easy to blow them unless you are really really hard on the car, even if its chipped. I have 70k on my audi and the car is chipped with APR, seems to run fine...were there any warning signs of your turbo blowing out? Worse case turbo to buy and install run around $1500, not that bad
Old 12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by stlswagger
Your real problem for performance was the CVT tranny. I think you must also have FWD. Never go Audi without Quattro, missing out on the main reason of buying an Audi for any sort of performance. I had a 1.8T speed that had all kinds of coilpack issues. Now that it's gone, I got the letter about reimbursement for at least 4 service appointments.

If you don't have warranty, CPO would've been priced more than what you got but worth it for sure if you found one because maintenance is a biatch as for price. Mine was CPO and I drove it like I stole it but once I was out of my CPO limitations I had to let it go.

My 1.8T sounded fantastic with exhaust but on the Audi, the right exhaust setup is over $1000 for Milltek and a carb legal downpipe will set you bout another $4-500 and my car had a great tone. No V-6 of course but it was perfect for a turbo 4 cyl.

Lastly, you should just remove the stock DV because running chipped with that thing on is just going to cause issues fast because it's plastic and will begin to fail running the extra boost. Find yourself a Forge DV. They come with extra springs for adjustments and aren't made from plastic. Maybe $150 for that but it's an easy DIY.
Didn't get CPO because I got the car for very very cheap and CPO's with the features/option for a little less mileage was crazy pricy. I have the newest revision OEM DV which is different than the past ones and reported to work perfect with a chip. Not going to mod it, not worth it, since I'm dumping this in 2 yrs once i graduate.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Pro

i blew the turbo because of those weak welds on the cat. the cat is directly bolted to the turbo the flange was still connected to the turbo but the cat was off. that made the turbo work harder and then blew it out. basically i was running open headers shit was loud as hell setting alarms off like nothing.