I took the new E500 out for a test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the new E500 out for a test drive today

Im speechless.

Ive driven the 5-series and a new 7 series before, and lets just say BMW better make some DRASTIC changes if they wanna keep selling as many as they do.

I cant see why ANYBODY in their right mind choose a 5-series or a 7-series over the new E.

If you ask me , I would take a E320 over a new 7 series.

You guys have to go test drive this thing, driving my honda home i felt like shit

Anyways, after the test drive..my dad ordered a
White E500
Front multi contour
Parktronic
Pano roof
Keyless Go
Harman Kardon
Climate Seats
Old 08-17-2002, 05:10 PM
I love my G sedan

Good in what way?
Old 08-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
Good in what way?
Old 08-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how many damn cars is your dad buying
Old 08-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Banned

he should of waited for the e55, now that shit is pimp
Old 08-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Amir, Silver is asking for some specifics. Ride quality? Handling? Acceleration? What?
Old 08-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

does your dad pump oil from yo back yard?

how many new cars is this?

also please explain how 'good' is.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Red Nj-s
he should of waited for the e55, now that shit is pimp
Hate to tell you, a 476hp pimp wagon is a bit much for "most" people that buy these cars (I think E55 sales totalled like 2% of Eclass sales per year, something extremely low). The E500 does 0-60 in 5.8sec, its sufficient enough for a sedan. All it needs is a nice set of rims, will definitely be a very hot car. Although, I do like the E55 bodykit very much.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Beltfed

Hate to tell you, a 476hp pimp wagon is a bit much for "most" people that buy these cars (I think E55 sales totalled like 2% of Eclass sales per year, something extremely low). The E500 does 0-60 in 5.8sec, its sufficient enough for a sedan. All it needs is a nice set of rims, will definitely be a very hot car. Although, I do like the E55 bodykit very much.
i whole heartedly agree, i jus felt like ruining it for amir :P
Old 08-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Race Director

this is the only car my dad got...he was gonna get a CL500, but they realized that they dont have a white one in stock...
Old 08-17-2002, 10:20 PM
__

Originally posted by amirsafdari
this is the only car my dad got...he was gonna get a CL500, but they realized that they dont have a white one in stock...
Why didn't he just get a new 03 CL500 in white? Either way, the E is hot!
Old 08-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Race Director

he was, but he wanted a 2002 originally, to save some dollars...

then he decided to order a 03, but i talked him out of it...too much $$

the E is better for him
Old 08-17-2002, 11:12 PM
__

...then he decided to order a 03, but i talked him out of it...too much $$
Now that's a good son...especially for a car lover!
Old 08-17-2002, 11:13 PM
Suzuka Master

boohooooo damn thats quite a downgrade

:P

Old 08-18-2002, 12:15 AM
Race Director

well the CL500 is 140k and the E came to about 95k...so about 45k cheaper...and u get lots more with the E
Old 08-18-2002, 12:24 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the CL500 is 140k and the E came to about 95k...so about 45k cheaper...and u get lots more with the E
Not to mention that there are at least 8-10 month waiting for CL500s and about 12-14 month waiting for CL600s....

E500 really is a fine car.... but I would wait another year for MB to solve all the new-car bugs....

Neverthless, congrat on your Dad's new ride...

Andy Kuo
Old 08-18-2002, 12:36 AM
Ain't No Other...

I dont know but, the new 7 will out-handle any production mercedes in the twisties...for comparison, the new 7 is suppose to have less body roll than the M5...the new 7 will out accelerate the S430 which is it's competition and car magazines have said that you would need to upgrade to a S500 to compete in acceleration with the new 7's engine...

BTW did I mention that my dad just bought the 745IL in Sterling Grey with the optional 19 Inch rolling stock last week...
Old 08-18-2002, 01:50 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang you all have rich dads... mine drives an '89 E320 (Old school style) and he loves it b/c it takes him back and forth from work... i guess once i get outta med school maybe I can buy him one of those 90+ thousand dollar cars... sheesh...
Old 08-18-2002, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Where are you getting those prices?? The old E430 started at 54k and a brand new CL500 starts at 91,415.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SinnedTL
I dont know but, the new 7 will out-handle any production mercedes in the twisties...for comparison, the new 7 is suppose to have less body roll than the M5...the new 7 will out accelerate the S430 which is it's competition and car magazines have said that you would need to upgrade to a S500 to compete in acceleration with the new 7's engine...
The new 7 wont outhandle any production Benz in the turns. What about the CLK55, E55, and C32????? The new 7 has a great engine, but the car looks horrible. The rear end makes it one of the ugliest cars on the road. Chris Bangle messed up the 7 series and probably will do the same to the 5 series.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Mugen Racing Team

Originally posted by Maximized

Where are you getting those prices?? The old E430 started at 54k and a brand new CL500 starts at 91,415.
Canadian dollars.......
Old 08-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Old timer

Talking about what you'd take over a new 7series... heck I'd take a Honda Civic over the ugly, buggy, poor quality piece of junk new 7.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by JRock
Talking about what you'd take over a new 7series... heck I'd take a Honda Civic over the ugly, buggy, poor quality piece of junk new 7.
woah lets not go that far...

its a nice car...i would take it over a 3, or 5 series..

its also a bit nicer looking than the current A8...

the interior is cool to, and i-drive sounds like fun..
Old 08-18-2002, 02:00 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont think any of you have minds of your own...

you all jump on the bandwagon.

jrock, the 7 series may be ugly to you... but by what scale are you using to determine it is of poor quality?

every car has some problems and some complaints.

but the 7 is anything but poor quality... its a fine car, tons of innovation, beautiful and luxurious interior. and some do like the looks...

anyway, Amir... you have always been biased towards Benz's over Bimmer's

I agree that the new E is a better car then the current 5... but also just came out. Its just a cycle that will repeat itself again and again with the introduction of every redesigned car including the new 5.

Why do you think it is better then whatever? What about it?

It does look hot. I've yet to drive one...

Interior is a bit lacking IMO.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I drove the new 745i when it first hit showrooms. The engine is awesome and the brakes are first rate, but the old 740iL that my dad had handled better. The steering feel of the 745 is more vague compared to a 740. I-drive is a terrible innovation. BMWs are centered around the driver, but try using the I-drive and you will find yourself taking your eyes off the road. My dad waited 6 months for a test drive of the new 7 and to see it in person, but once he did he didnt like it at all. He would have bought the one they had in stock right there if it wasnt for the ugly styling and I-drive. Instead, he went to the local Audi dealer and bought a A8L, which IMO is a nicer car than the 745i.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by soopa
I looked at an E500 today, its very nice...thing is, Benz interiors were never that amazing. They were always nice, but I was never overwhelmed.....obviously the $115k Benz models are a step higher (due to the leather covered dashes and shit).

VAG still holds the title IMO for the nicest interiors.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Race Director

i

Why do you think it is better then whatever? What about it?

It does look hot. I've yet to drive one...

E Class "cool features"

- Adaptive Accelerator
With Adaptive Accelerator, a sensor on the accelerator pedal enables the engine management system to recognize your driving style, adjusting the engine's performance to provide the response you're looking for.

-Airmatic Dual Control Suspension
Airmatic Dual Control suspension gives the E-Class a smooth and silent ride, working with an active damping system to minimize road noise and tire vibration. Standard on the E500 and optional on the E320, the industry-leading Airmatic DC system lets you select either sport or comfort spring and damper settings, giving you a smooth ride when it's called for and sportier performance when you want it.

-Sensotronic Electronic Brake Control
The world's first electrohydraulic braking system, Sensotronic Brake Control (SBCTM) adjusts braking pressure individually at each wheel for quicker, more sure-footed stopping, especially in emergencies.1 SBC works with other systems in the E-Class, like the Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Antilock Braking System and ASR traction control, to anticipate your braking needs and give you maximum control while you're driving.2 From beginning to end, SBC is about one thing: responsiveness.

Smart Brake Features:
-If your are going very fast on the freeawy, say like 85, and you suddenly let go of the gas pedal, the disc brakes will think you might get into a crash, so they move very cose to eachother, so if you do brake, it is a lot shorter of a distance. Also, if the wipers are on, the disc brakes will dry themselves, so they wont slip while braking.

KEyless Go
-Keyless Go, integrated with Smartkey, allows you to unlock the door of your E-Class by touch or start your E-Class simply by
pressing a button.

Harman Kardon Logic-7 Digital Surround Sound system
- supposed to compete with the Mark Levinson in the Lexus..it includes 12 speakers an amp and a subwoofer

Panoramic Roof
- Tinted Glass Roof

Solar Cell Technology
-When the car is in the sun, solar panels on the edges of the roof will power the a/c to keep the car nice and cool at the temperature of your choice. Hot sticky car, is a thing of the past.

Multicontour Seats
- The seat can be programmed to fit ANY body style. Big or small, your surrounded by leather hugging your body.

Driving Dynamic Seat Technology
- The seats will inflate on hard turns/acceleration to make sure the passengers will not lean to the direction of the vehicle.

4-zone climate control
-Each passenger can set their own temperature

Smart A/C
-if there is the sun shining on the rear left or rear seat, and the a/c is on, the fan will blow more air, so it senses the heat from the sun. aka '4-waysun sensor

Fileration System
-there is a filtration system, and a humidity sensor, so the windos dont fog. There is also, a smog sensing charcoal filter

Climate seats
-Front seats can be cooled/heated
-Rear heat seats

Convenience Lighting
-Behind the door handles, there is a litlle light, so you now where the handle is. Also, the outside mirrors come with a step out feature, so in the dark, you can see where you step.

Airbag Safety System
-There are eight airbags, and they offer 10-way protection there is a first ever rollover sensor that integrates with the airbags.

Airmatic Suspension Settings
-Airmatic Dual Control air suspension with Adaptive Damping System(ads||(its suppose to be version #2)- Airmatic Dual control is a semi-active suspension that provides greater ride comfort yet responds to reduce pitch, dive and roll during braking, accelerating and conering by instantaneosly firming up springs rates as driving dynamics change. Electronically controlled pneumatic spring-struts integrate variable-rate shock absorbers and coil springs. Dual driver-selectable Sport Modes engage firmer damping profiles either full-time or at lower thresholds or body movement, and LOWER RIDE BY .6 INCHES Automatic 4-wheel level control includes driver selectable ride height control to manually RAISE VEHICLE BY .8 INCHES or LOWER BY .6 INCH VIA SELECTION OF EITHER SPORT MODE , AND AUTOMATIC SPEED-SENSITIVE LOWERING TO REDUCE THE RIDE HEIGHT BY .6 INCHES AT HIGHER SPEEDSº(really it is supposed to be a 4, not a zero, but i dont know how to do that) º(another 4 )

-Bi-xenon high density discharge projector low-beam and high beam headlights.
-heated headlamp washers

Air control system: A microprocessor closes the lower air intake depending on the driving situation, improving the Cdvalue. standard in models E 240 and E 320

Belt force limiters: During a crash this system reduces the forces exerted on the occupants by the seat belts. For the first time belt force limiters with adaptive control are fitted for front seat occupants. standard, on the outer seats in the rear

Belt tensioners: Any slack in the seat belt is instantly taken up during a crash. standard, on the outer seats in the rear

"Bluetoooth" telephone: Fixed telephone installation allows cable-free telephoning in the interior of the new E-Class. optional

COMAND APS: The system integrates radio, DVD player, TV unit, navigation system and telephone operation. optional

Crash boxes: Energy-absorbing elements in the front end can be inexpensively replaced after a minor collision. standard

DISTRONIC: Intelligent cruise control keeps the E-Class at the right distance and eases the driver's workload. optional

Easy Entry: When getting out, the steering wheel automatically moves upwards and the seat moves to the rear to allow the driver more freedom of movement. optional

Headlamp Assist: A sensor on the windscreen detects when darkness falls and automatically switches the vehicle lights on. standard

Heated steering wheel: Heating wires warm the rim of the steering wheel. optional

Heater booster: An electric heater booster ensures a comfortable temperature. standard in the CDI models

HP bulbs: New "High Performance" bulbs last the entire life of the vehicle. standard

Infra-red reflection: The windows reflect the infra-red component in sunlight, thereby improving climatic comfort. optional

Lightweight construction: The bonnet, front wings, boot lid, front-end/rear-end modules and parcel shelf are of aluminium. standard

LINGUATRONIC: The radio, CD player, telephone and now also the navigation system can be voice-controlled. optional with Audio 50 APS or COMAND APS

Multifunction steering wheel: The radio, telephone, navigation system and other units can be operated from the steering wheel. standard

Rain sensor: The windscreen wiper is now variably controlled according to rain intensity. standard

Short Message Service: SMS messages are shown on the display of the Audio 50 APS unit and COMAND system if a telephone/mobile phone is connected. optional

Tunnel closing: Pressing the air recirculation button closes all open windows and the sliding sunroof when entering a tunnel or underground car park. standard

Tyre pressure monitoring: The air pressure of the tyres is automatically monitored. optional

Underbody panelling: Large plastic panels replace the previous, environmentally questionable PVC anti-corrosion protection. standard

Windowbags: The large air cushion extends from the A-pillar to the C-pillar like a curtain during a crash, reducing the risk of head injuries. standard

Specs:
e500 is 0-60 in 5.8
e320 is 0-60 in 7.2

Seriuosly, no car right now in the market can touch the E500.

I dunno, but I wouldnt touch a 7-series over this.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Race Director

thats not true man

Mercedes trucking pushin BMW's
Old 08-18-2002, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

E Class "cool features"

-
Specs:
e500 is 0-60 in 5.8
e320 is 0-60 in 7.2

Seriuosly, no car right now in the market can touch the E500.

I dunno, but I wouldnt touch a 7-series over this.
Right...No car can touch it All the features on the new E are straight from the S class. As for BMWs vs Mercedes, I personally like BMWs better because they are more performance tuned.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:02 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im sure the new 5 series will be equally impressive :P
Old 08-18-2002, 05:16 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
amir... dont get me wrong... I LOVE the E... I do like it better then the 5 series it competes with.

BUT...

most of those features your listing are available and have been on many cars for a long time...

the E does have some innovative shit and I love it... but Benz has GREAT marketing and they seem to have grabbed you hook line and sinker.

also i bet half of those features arent available on the cheap... and i bet most arent in pops ride.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
does your dad pump oil from yo back yard?

how many new cars is this?

also please explain how 'good' is.
Don't be racist asshole AND he's Persian you MORON.

It's more like:

Amir, Does your dad stitch those carpets in your back yard?

Old 08-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

All the features on the new E are straight from the S class
Actually, thats not the case.....like SBC, Pano Roof, Driver Dynamic seats, and Harmon Kardon system.

I like BMWs (have had 2), but their styling trend is starting to get a tad scary. Hopefully the new 5 will look great, we'll see.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, thats not the case.....like SBC, Pano Roof, Driver Dynamic seats, and Harmon Kardon system.

SBC is available on the new SL and the technology trickled down to the E.

Pano Roof is available on the ML and another vehicle if IIRC.

HK..thats new and replaces the BOSE.

Driver Dynamic seats are new to my knowledge.

The C, E, and SLK always get technology later than the S, SL, an CL. Many of the "innovative" features found in the new E have all been seen in the higher end Mercedes lineup.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

SBC is available on the new SL and the technology trickled down to the E.

Pano Roof is available on the ML and another vehicle if IIRC.

The SL just came out like 2 months ago, wouldn't exactly call the technology trickling down to the E.....both cars were designed to incorporate SBC from the start.

Pano Roof has never been available on the ML, only the Ccoupe hatchback.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

The SL just came out like 2 months ago, wouldn't exactly call the technology trickling down to the E.....both cars were designed to incorporate SBC from the start.

Pano Roof has never been available on the ML, only the Ccoupe hatchback.
All im saying is that the SL, S, and CL are technology "test beds" for other lesser models such as the E and C. Yes the E does have a few of its own innovations, but many are currently available.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry... Although this car is nice, I would take an M5 over this ANY DAY..

The new E55 would be nice, but it will probably still only be a slush-box.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:09 PM

E 500 is AWESOME, I love it! Pana roof is AWESOME! I am not sure why it cost so much more than the competition, but it is a GREAT CAR! Did he get the AMG sport kit?
Old 08-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
The new E55 would be nice, but it will probably still only be a slush-box.
Who cares? Its a fucking sedan that does 0-60 in 4.5sec.....the car will blow most manual cars out of the water.

Not to mention, where are you going with a fast car in Queens? Between an M5 and a Bicycle, you would probably get somewhere quicker on the bike.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Who cares? Its a fucking sedan that does 0-60 in 4.5sec.....the car will blow most manual cars out of the water.

Not to mention, where are you going with a fast car in Queens? Between an M5 and a Bicycle, you would probably get somewhere quicker on the bike.

AHAHHAHAAH I thought the same thing when I looked at his location.

Quick Reply: I took the new E500 out for a test drive today