I think my rotors are warped....AGAIN>

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my rotors are warped....AGAIN>

30K miles. @ 22K miles I had'em turned, and had new pads put on two.

If this is truly the case, I'm gonna TOTALLY raise hell and demand NEW rotors, not resurfaced ones.

Has this happened to anyone else more than once?
Old 12-24-2001, 06:10 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Keep us posted with the results !
Old 12-24-2001, 06:16 PM

Heres what will happen.

I'm demanding NEW ROTORS. Not the same ones, resurfaced.

If not I will raise TOTAL hell at the dealership. This is total bullshit. $30K for a car with warped rotors twice.

FUCK ACURA.

Cheap honda parts---for a $30K car. It doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:26 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

I was just about to post the same thing. I don't remember when I had the first resurfacing, but I'm getting the same vibration as I did the first time (almost 26K on the clock). Let me know how this turns out for you. I will be visiting my dealer soon to hopefully have this problem taken care of under warranty.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:51 PM

I get that same steering wheel shake under hard braking @ around 70-80 mph.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:53 PM
Banned

Mine warped. They resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads at 22k. I now have 31k and they seem OK. They may have warped a little, but no where near as bad as it was.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.volvospeed.com/Reviews/seasoning.htm

Perhaps this will help:

"...From any given speed, slowly apply the the brakes until you have lost approximately 30 mph of speed. Do not come to a stop. Instead accelerate back up to speed and maintain this speed for at least two minutes before applying the brakes again. This allows your rotors a chance to slowly cool off. Now repeat this cycle a minimum of 10 times. If possible repeat the process again after the rotors have completely cooled, about 3 hours, except this time brake faster. If you must come to a complete stop, try not to hold the brakes in any harder than necessary. Also while breaking in your rotors, avoid using the emergency brake. Your rotors will continue to temper over time as you drive your car, but you can obtain almost a complete temper in under 5 hours. Depending on your driving habits, and area, you will want to wait anywhere from 500-1000 miles before really you push the limits of your new rotors. "

The pads also need the same process to get the "volatiles" out of the pads so they conduct heat without out gassing that is caused by a lot of pads when not broken or bedded properly

Also…

http://www.baer.com/bedding_street/

See bedding, green-fade, rotor tempering, etc…
Old 12-25-2001, 02:59 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Criswell in annapolis replaced my rotors and pads for free at 28k miles. I think they used a TSB # to replace them under warranty.
Old 12-25-2001, 05:11 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Good Stuff!!

I felt the same thing early on but the service guy instisted they be replaced. "We don't resurface here." New rotars and pads, thank you.
Old 12-25-2001, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: I think my rotors are warped....AGAIN>

Originally posted by TypeSKid

If this is truly the case, I'm gonna TOTALLY raise hell and demand NEW rotors, not resurfaced ones.
I am in the same boat, different miles though (re-surfaced at about 16k and now on 23k). I will be making an appointment this week and will not raise hell over it.

I will state the issue and suggest that the rotors and pads be replaced. If they decide otherwise I will express dissatisfaction and suggest again that they replace them. Point being, by keeping a cool head and be very business like with them will get you further. You will always get a better response from a resonable suggestion that you will from demands.
Old 12-25-2001, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Yo man, How come 2nd time too?
Hey if your going to take it to radley again, meet up me bro. I want to drive your car and see how it feels to have wrapped rotors. I have no idea on how wrapped rotors feel other than its sopose to vibrate the steering wheel.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:45 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your rotors are warped, you'll know. Trust me !
Old 12-29-2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
Hey if your going to take it to radley again, meet up me bro. I want to drive your car and see how it feels to have wrapped rotors. I have no idea on how wrapped rotors feel other than its sopose to vibrate the steering wheel.

I'll definitely get up with ya, and let you know how it turns out.

The first time I had'em replaced I got it done @ Pohanka, and they tried to charge me for it, stating that it WASN'T covered under warranty.

I had to raise hell to some Mike Goings ASSHOLE who didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

I got my $ back.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
Yep you'll know if your rotors are warped. Just get it up to about 60-70mph. Brake hard as if you've just noticed that your highway exit is coming up real fast and your in the left most lane while your exit is way over on the right and the next exit is 30 miles further down the highway. If your rotors are warped you'll notice the shimmying (<---sp?), vibration right up to your shoulders. No panic stop braking necessary.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Hey, I have 13.5K miles on my car, and it runs great (knock on the wood ... ), my brakes are in good shape too.
It all depends on the way you slow down.... I drive very casual, and usually I predict in advance when I need to stop, so I remove my foot from accelerator, and apply brakes ver very gently....

It is normal to change brake pads every 20K miles if you brake hard.... even if you drive gently, still, be prepared to change them every 30K miles...
it's life, those things get worn out....