I might be selling my car :( ****ing moron cops

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might be selling my car :( ****ing moron cops

Scenario: 3 lane highway

I was getting onto the highway today coming home from school. There is a car in front of me and 2 trucks about to pass me in the left lanes. The car and I merge getting onto the right lane of the highway. I'm following the car going 58-60 mph. At this point the trucks are just about to pass me going around a turn. I see a cop and don't respond at all still going about 60mph. He gets behind me and pulls me over. Says that I was going 75.6 in a 55. I told him that it was the trucks that where passing me, that they where going fast and I was behind a car and not behind the trucks. So before the cop walks away I ask for a moving violation without points and he kinda agrees. Drops it from 75 to 65 and the fine is $126 with 2 points. Bad thing is that I already had 4 points on my license (i was in neutral at 2am a few months back in the 1st gen CL going downhill. got a 21 over. How that was possible, I do not know as when i tried it later on that week in the same conditions, there was no way that i could have gotten that speed) and here in PA if you get 6, they take your license away. Soo yeah. Now i have 6. I called a few (8) lawyers and they don't want to take my case. So I'm going to lose my license and there is no point in having a car if you cannot drive it so I might be selling it. That temporary license where you can go to work and school only is hard to get or so I am told and they don't like to give them out.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
u drive the fast car u gotta pay whe you speed.

I got a ticet for 79 in a 60 not the cop's fault, it was mine
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Why don't you go to court and try to get the points reduced..seems logical enough. I don't know how it works in PA but thats what I would do. If you are in the middle of a 3 lane highway with cars all around you how is he able to single you out of the pack as speeding.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
^^^

Go to court and talk to the officer. Explain your situation. Tell him you have no problem paying the fine, but you need you car. See what he says.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you got screwed. The same thing happened to my brother. Cop said he was going 90+ in a 70 zone when in fact his cruise was set at 76mph. This was immidiately after a pack of cars flew past him at guess what... 90+mph!

I dislike cops very much.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
As I always say in these posts.... some people are just ticket magnets.
A good eye, A good detector & being smart will give you years of ticket free bliss.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM
666 Speed

I am going to go to court but the cop already reduced the ticket to 65 instead of 75. So thats 2 points off there already. He isnt going to be nice enough to drop another 2...

And i was in the right lane still in lower gear so the car was LOUD. Probably Thought to thimself, he must be speeding and hit me with the radar while the trucks where next to me. And as you guys know radar goes after the biggest object on the road that it can catch.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't lose your license for 6points in PA, well not the first time you hit 6 anyways. I had 8 , just had a to spend an hour or so at the DMV one sat afternoon taking a stupidly simple written test to take away most of the points. Even the second time you hit six you only lose your license for like 15-30 days so even if its your second time its not worth selling your car
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Got DEP???

A few posts here to comment on...

Artbran
Check your ticket and see if it is marked as "Radar"... Radar picks up the biggest object in its line of sight. With that being said, you can simply argue the fact that the radar would have picked up the speed of one of the two trucks that were traveling faster than you and possibly plead your case of the fact that you were in the right lane behind another vehicle. Watch out for the common "He was catching up to the vehicle, not going the same speed" statement that the police like to use. I had an instance with one who said that when I was going 35 mph and he said the car in front of me read that on radar, but that my speed was 54 mph... The judge laughed when I told him what road (small town, small road) I was on and how the Police officer had stated on the ticket that there was a medium amount of traffic at the time. That got dropped...

CL PLATANO
I had a situation where I was in the middle lane and there was a moderate amount of traffic. I was probably going between 5-10 mph over the limit, but I had people passing me on the left. As soon as everyone saw the state trooper, they slammed on their brakes and I was the only individual who didn't brake and I was the one who got pulled over and received a ticket for it. Luckily, I know enough state troopers that it got dropped, but it is a common thing for them to do.

Lord Helmet
I had a situation like that 6 years ago when I had my cruise control set at 70 mph (rte 93 near Boston it's 65 mph and I set it at 70 mph because I was doing 140 mph before that and had a bad feeling about speeding) and a radar detector on. The radar detector went off and I knew I had nothing to worry about... So I thought. The Officer pulled me over saying that I was doing 85 mph in a 40 mph zone... I admitted the 70 and he changed it to 80 in a 45 so it wasn't doubled, but then I still had to pay $360 for the ticket...

All in all, you speed you pay...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by artbran
I am going to go to court but the cop already reduced the ticket to 65 instead of 75. So thats 2 points off there already. He isnt going to be nice enough to drop another 2...

And i was in the right lane still in lower gear so the car was LOUD. Probably Thought to thimself, he must be speeding and hit me with the radar while the trucks where next to me. And as you guys know radar goes after the biggest object on the road that it can catch.
Way to draw attention to yourself low gear with an intake passing a cop at 75, and you wonder why you got pulled over
Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Got DEP???

Well, I took way to long writing that last post. I had gotten pulled late one night by a cop that was in the parking lot that I was pulling out of. The car in front of me spun his tires taking off and as I was pulling out, there was a car turning onto the road I was now on and he was going fast, so I slammed on the gas (in my Integra) and the ram air intake was real loud. When he pulled me over he had said that it was me spinning my tires and that I had "quite an aftermarket exhaust system" on my car... That exhaust was OEM... He didn't believe me, but who cares about that... The fact of the matter is that when you have a loud car, they seem to think it is you more times than none...

Old 11-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
A good eye, A good detector & being smart will give you years of ticket free bliss.
You couldn't have said it better!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
666 Speed

Sorry it was Vascar... I didnt read it right.

Also years back I hit 6 points and had it taken away for 3 months... I was 16 and 17 at the time. And then I was told that if I hit 6 again, that It would be gone for 6 months by the judge and letters from PennDOT.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts

Down shifting too low is dumb. It just high lighted how guilty you were.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
666 Speed

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Down shifting too low is dumb. It just high lighted how guilty you were.
I didnt downshift. I was going through the gears to get up to highway speed. was just about to clutch and stick it in 6th from 4th
Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM

I didnt downshift. I was going through the gears to get up to highway speed. was just about to clutch and stick it in 6th from 4th
60 in 4th your car shouldn't have been THAT loud even with your ghetto glasspack. You were probably doing more than 60

Also Vascar isn't used on the highway, only radar. Vascar is a timing method where they time you between two known points. Used only on secondary roads
Old 11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
first of all, this sucks. and then i have to say that many of these guys have good points and are right. it does sound like you have had quite a track record. and you do know that those kinds of histories always catch up to you. i just hope you find a good solution to all this.

and werd to this post. except that in my case, i can add to the last sentence that constantly keeping an eye out and luck have kept me from getting locked up(speeds >100 mph). i have had too many close calls. i need a V1.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Also years back I hit 6 points and had it taken away for 3 months... I was 16 and 17 at the time. And then I was told that if I hit 6 again, that It would be gone for 6 months by the judge and letters from PennDOT.
Also this was because you were under 18. http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...ets/pub472.pdf
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Everyone has a valid point, you don't seem to be a completely innocent bystander.

Beware of the gun attached to the po po's window. I get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I fly by a cop and don't slow down fast enough. But nothing feels better than when you are a mile down the road and you know you are home free.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
And i was in the right lane still in lower gear so the car was LOUD. Probably Thought to himself, he must be speeding and hit me with the radar while the trucks where next to me. And as you guys know radar goes after the biggest object on the road that it can catch.
ALL modern radar & laser guns the police use have the ability to track several moving cars. And with front & rear antennas can track coming & going at the same time.

Yeah it sucks, but he likely knows he clocked the trucks & decided to stop you & give you the ticket. I've talked to cops & this happens all the time. Especially with commercial trucks. It's just plain easier to stop a passenger car.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by pits200
Everyone has a valid point, you don't seem to be a completely innocent bystander.

Beware of the gun attached to the po po's window. I get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I fly by a cop and don't slow down fast enough. But nothing feels better than when you are a mile down the road and you know you are home free.
Nothing beats the feeling when you do 90 mph by a wide open state trooper and then he pulls over the car that you passed who was probably only going around 75 mph. Had that happen...

Or even when you come around a bend in the highway and they are sitting there pointing the gun at the third lane but you come around in the first lane doing 80-85 mph and the cop just signals with his hand for you to slow down...

Old 11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
60 in 4th your car shouldn't have been THAT loud even with your ghetto glasspack. You were probably doing more than 60

Also Vascar isn't used on the highway, only radar. Vascar is a timing method where they time you between two known points. Used only on secondary roads
The cops use the Vascar method on I-90 in Washington all the time to nail people who are speeding in large wolf packs.
ALL modern radar & laser guns the police use have the ability to track several moving cars. And with front & rear antennas can track coming & going at the same time.

Yeah it sucks, but he likely knows he clocked the trucks & decided to stop you & give you the ticket. I've talked to cops & this happens all the time. Especially with commercial trucks. It's just plain easier to stop a passenger car.
Cops can suck my balls for this. I've been told the same thing by county sheriffs.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Got DEP???

I know a lot of cops and they all say that if you hit the brakes, they are going to go for you... You probably hit the brakes when you saw him and his thought was "here we go, this guy just admitted his guilt"...

It is to hard to track multiple vehicles accurately and police officers generally go for the person who slams on the brakes.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

Dont sell it
Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 PM
666 Speed

They use vascar everywhere here. They have lines going accross the highway and roads thus giving 2 points. I got timed 3.31seconds over .0696 of a mile.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
666 Speed

Also this was because you were under 18. http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...ets/pub472.pdf

I think i need to find out some of this stuff as it has changed since i took my drivers test...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Scenario: 3 lane highway

I was getting onto the highway today coming home from school. There is a car in front of me and 2 trucks about to pass me in the left lanes. The car and I merge getting onto the right lane of the highway. I'm following the car going 58-60 mph. At this point the trucks are just about to pass me going around a turn. I see a cop and don't respond at all still going about 60mph. He gets behind me and pulls me over. Says that I was going 75.6 in a 55. I told him that it was the trucks that where passing me, that they where going fast and I was behind a car and not behind the trucks. So before the cop walks away I ask for a moving violation without points and he kinda agrees. Drops it from 75 to 65 and the fine is $126 with 2 points. Bad thing is that I already had 4 points on my license (i was in neutral at 2am a few months back in the 1st gen CL going downhill. got a 21 over. How that was possible, I do not know as when i tried it later on that week in the same conditions, there was no way that i could have gotten that speed) and here in PA if you get 6, they take your license away. Soo yeah. Now i have 6. I called a few (8) lawyers and they don't want to take my case. So I'm going to lose my license and there is no point in having a car if you cannot drive it so I might be selling it. That temporary license where you can go to work and school only is hard to get or so I am told and they don't like to give them out.

Do not sell your car.
I was in your case Sept 21st. Between September 13th and 20th, I got pulled over 2 times for speeding 20mph and over and once driving 95 on 65. Literally, I got buttrammed.

No lawyers accepted to take my case so I went to court. the judge was obviously impartial saying my driving was wreckless and that I needed a lesson that would hurt and that I would not forget.

VERDICT: 2 months suspended license and 6 months on probation! Just for this little week where my luck ran out!

Anyways, i got my license back last week and it feels good. And, honnestly, I think I will go ahead and kiss the judge. you have no idea how many miles I saved and how I realized I drove my Acura WAAAY too much!

My '99 2.3CL is still below 69k!

Now the probation is a bummer: 7AM to 11PM driving only! And if I get another traffic violation from here to May 20th... I will have another suspension advisory.

Don't sell your car. The worst you will get will be a couple months...
Good luck and PM me for advice. I'm an expert now!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Salemgh
Do not sell your car.
I was in your case Sept 21st. Between September 13th and 20th, I got pulled over 2 times for speeding 20mph and over and once driving 95 on 65. Literally, I got buttrammed.

No lawyers accepted to take my case so I went to court. the judge was obviously impartial saying my driving was wreckless and that I needed a lesson that would hurt and that I would not forget.

VERDICT: 2 months suspended license and 6 months on probation! Just for this little week where my luck ran out!

Anyways, i got my license back last week and it feels good. And, honnestly, I think I will go ahead and kiss the judge. you have no idea how many miles I saved and how I realized I drove my Acura WAAAY too much!

My '99 2.3CL is still below 69k!

Now the probation is a bummer: 7AM to 11PM driving only! And if I get another traffic violation from here to May 20th... I will have another suspension advisory.

Don't sell your car. The worst you will get will be a couple months...
Good luck and PM me for advice. I'm an expert now!
I have a nasty ticket that is pending. I'm taking it to court, I'm hoping to get it lowered or dropped. It's good to know people that will fight for you regardless of what the ticket is.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 PM
666 Speed

I was "freaking out" when it first happened thus making this thread. And I just read over all the shit that the cop wrote on the ticket and there are some things that i dont think are right. I'm going to take it to court so thats that. They cant slap me with the original fine as it was lowered by the cop out of good will. The most that they can do is give me court costs which are like $50. I also think that the magnet on the back of my car supporting the family of a fallen Officer who was shot and killed outside of a Getty a few months back helped me out too. Either way I don't think that they will take my license away as they changed the point system a little bit from the time that i got my license. What i might do is just trade cars with my dad or just avoid that highway at all costs for a few months and take the back roads to school and back.

The only reason that I thought that i would lose my license was because they told me a while back that if i got 6 points again, that my license would be suspended for 6 months. If this would happen, then I would sell the car. Or just winterize it and store it in my garage for the winter.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by redsly
I know a lot of cops and they all say that if you hit the brakes, they are going to go for you... You probably hit the brakes when you saw him and his thought was "here we go, this guy just admitted his guilt"...

It is to hard to track multiple vehicles accurately and police officers generally go for the person who slams on the brakes.
You dont speed, do you?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Instructor

dont sell it..why sell your car and then slowly waste away that money in the few months without your license and then possibly end up with something not as nice. ive had my license suspended for months before and u just gotta be patient
Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by o2cls
You dont speed, do you?
hehee...i don't
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 AM
666 Speed

Originally Posted by GreenMachine
hehee...i don't

Lol What is that in your avatar? 120mph???
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by o2cls
You dont speed, do you?
I never speed! Why do you ask?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Got DEP???

I went to a going away party for a fellow Marine a few weeks ago. I got back to their house about 40 minutes before them. I guess that's why he kept saying how I was the only 'Idiot' he knows that records himself doing 140 in a 55...
If he only knew of the others...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redsly
Nothing beats the feeling when you do 90 mph by a wide open state trooper and then he pulls over the car that you passed who was probably only going around 75 mph. Had that happen...

Or even when you come around a bend in the highway and they are sitting there pointing the gun at the third lane but you come around in the first lane doing 80-85 mph and the cop just signals with his hand for you to slow down...
I have experienced both and agree...The best feeling I ever experienced was passing a radar trap at 75 in 55 and observed them start to come after me from a stop. I nailed it and hit the exit a mile away and made a couple of quick turns and disappeared. Got away scot free.

This was 10 years ago and I absolutlely do not condone fleeing. Will never do it again but had to mention it.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
I have experienced both and agree...The best feeling I ever experienced was passing a radar trap at 75 in 55 and observed them start to come after me from a stop. I nailed it and hit the exit a mile away and made a couple of quick turns and disappeared. Got away scot free.

This was 10 years ago and I absolutlely do not condone fleeing. Will never do it again but had to mention it.
HAHA, You just reminded me of one instance where I was driving in my gf's old car (Cavalier of all cars) and as soon as I crossed the state line, there was a statie sitting there and he put his blues on when I didn't hit the brakes like everyone else...
To shorten it. As soon as the road turned and a truck was blocking me from his sight, I took an exit that you could just come back onto the highway without stopping. As I was coming back out from behind the trees, I saw him sitting there on the other side of the Jersey barriers. As I drove by him, I just looked at him and took another exit that was there right before getting back onto the highway... He must have been pissed...

Before I get flammed, I know that that was stupid! I got lucky and I don't sugest anyone doing it, but it was funny...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Got DEP???

Hey Artbran...

Here's a hypothetical situation for you to imagine...
You're driving on the highway in VERMONT (of all places) and you ask your buddy where all the 'Super Troopers' (Vermont State Police) are. Two seconds later, you are going over the crest of a hill at over a hundred miles per hour and BAM!!!
There's the Super Trooper! So, you drive for about 40 more seconds before pulling over to the side of the highway. After pulling over, you notice that the trooper is walking up to your vehicle and guess what??? Not only is it a Super Trooper, but it's a FEMALE Super Trooper... UH-Oh, you're in shit loud of trouble now!!! She then asks where you are going and why you are going so fast.

What would you say? It wasn't me, it was the tree on the side of me? There is no one else that is driving to be seen for miles...

Or, make an excuse? Maybe a funeral you are running late for! Sounds good...

Well, in my case, I just told the absolute truth (as I always do to the police). Also, I just happened to be going to a funeral that was starting in 8 minutes from when she pulled me over. She made me wait for her to write a warning, not bad I thought.
I take the warning and speed off to get to the funeral in time...
My buddy reads the warning and it clearly had written on it was "100+ MPH"!!! Right there on the paper that she has to turn the original back in, she wrote 100+ Mph!!! You would have thought she would have changed it for administrative reasons, but she didn't.

I had an advantage being a Marine and the uniforms in the car (we were burying an old Veteran). We were actually early to the funeral, someone gave us the wrong time!

I'm not trying to rub it in, just telling you that the truth prevails... just remember that!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a beltronics radar detector and the Phazer II radar jammer and it works wonders!!!! Not sure if there illegal where you live.

Never had a ticket of anykind with this combo! (knocking on wood)
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
THIS IS FLAT OUT NOT TRUE!!!!!!

Where the hell did you hear this? I bet from a cop, they love to mess with civilians.

The radar Police use is only able to track the largest return, and is very rudimentary as far a complexity goes. Anything more sophisticated would cost HUGE dollars, and would defeat the purpose of why tickets are written...Revenue Generation.

Also the more likely rerason the cop dropped the original poster's charge down and "gave him a break" is because the cop knew he was full of $h!t, and this way figures the poster will just pay the fine instead of fight the ticket.

ALWAYS fight a ticket. ALWAYS! Even if you're caught red handed.
I've gotten over 25 tickets, fought all of them, and only been convicted 3 times.

Quick Reply: I might be selling my car :( ****ing moron cops