I emailed the president of Five Axis Models about their work on the SEMA CL. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I emailed the president of Five Axis Models about their work on the SEMA CL. . .

I was reading Diecast X magazine and noticed a letter from Troy Sumitomo (President of Five Axis Models). I thought what the heck why not ask if he had any insight on the development of the previous SEMA CL's. Here's what he said:

Hey Chris,

First off, thanks for compliments. Wow that was awhile back wasn't it? I assume you are speaking of the blue one or maybe the silver one. Either way it is the same car. I do not have any build up pictures for that car. I believe there are some final shots somewhere on a disc in my drawer... I think it is the silver one.

Basically we built both cars here. They original concept and design was done at Honda here in Cali. They contracted us to build the kit and modify the show car to their specs. Unlike the Scion cars where we did the whole concept, design and build here, the Honda/Acura stuff, with the exception of the Sparco Civic, are all designed by Honda.

The silver car was a result of taking the kit off the blue car, reinstalling it and repainting it silver to match the new car. The blue car was a preproduction model and did not run well. The interior was also not up to final production standards. The silver car also had a Comptech supercharger in it. INSANE... burned rubber through 3 gears easily, so much that it fried the clutch and was never replaced.

Sadly the car was involved in a fender bender and is probably on its way to Acura heaven sson. Most likely it will not be resurrected for the show car circuit . Before you get any bright ideas... I can hear the wheels turning from here, Honda will probably keep the kit for reference. If not it still will remain their property and regardless cannot be sold or reproduce w/o their permission. AND before you even wonder... NO they won't grant it. TRUST ME.

So for now I'd say it's still going to be one of those things you wish you had but couldn't. I know.... it's a shame but the reality of big manufacturers. We see a lot of very cool stuff here that most of it, does not make it to production. But that's design for you...

Sorry for the disappointing news. Hopefully this satisfied your curiosity.

Thanks,

Troy Sumitomo
Five Axis
714 842 9677
714 842 9607 fax

www.5axismodels.net
Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
That was a nice email from him...
Old 02-27-2005, 07:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
It was a nice email. I was suprised he responded. Now if there was only a contact at American Honda in Hawthorne that could get me that SEMA kit before they junk that CL I'd be in heaven. . .
Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
It was a nice email. I was suprised he responded. Now if there was only a contact at American Honda in Hawthorne that could get me that SEMA kit before they junk that CL I'd be in heaven. . .
YOu may need another mortgatge on your house to afford it. I doubt they would let it go, and if the did it wouldn't be cheap. Sucks cause so many people would buy that kit if it was made.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was reading Diecast X magazine and noticed a letter from Troy Sumitomo (President of Five Axis Models). I thought what the heck why not ask if he had any insight on the development of the previous SEMA CL's. Here's what he said:

Hey Chris,

First off, thanks for compliments. Wow that was awhile back wasn't it? I assume you are speaking of the blue one or maybe the silver one. Either way it is the same car. I do not have any build up pictures for that car. I believe there are some final shots somewhere on a disc in my drawer... I think it is the silver one.

Basically we built both cars here. They original concept and design was done at Honda here in Cali. They contracted us to build the kit and modify the show car to their specs. Unlike the Scion cars where we did the whole concept, design and build here, the Honda/Acura stuff, with the exception of the Sparco Civic, are all designed by Honda.

The silver car was a result of taking the kit off the blue car, reinstalling it and repainting it silver to match the new car. The blue car was a preproduction model and did not run well. The interior was also not up to final production standards. The silver car also had a Comptech supercharger in it. INSANE... burned rubber through 3 gears easily, so much that it fried the clutch and was never replaced.

Sadly the car was involved in a fender bender and is probably on its way to Acura heaven sson. Most likely it will not be resurrected for the show car circuit . Before you get any bright ideas... I can hear the wheels turning from here, Honda will probably keep the kit for reference. If not it still will remain their property and regardless cannot be sold or reproduce w/o their permission. AND before you even wonder... NO they won't grant it. TRUST ME.

So for now I'd say it's still going to be one of those things you wish you had but couldn't. I know.... it's a shame but the reality of big manufacturers. We see a lot of very cool stuff here that most of it, does not make it to production. But that's design for you...

Sorry for the disappointing news. Hopefully this satisfied your curiosity.

Thanks,

Troy Sumitomo
Five Axis
714 842 9677
714 842 9607 fax

www.5axismodels.net
That is what he told me a few months back... Sad to hear.. He's a really kool guy... I was at his shop and that's the 1st car I inquired about... Really sucks... I myself do not own a 2nd gen cL but have always admired that kit... I even went as far as bugging my girl who at the time worked at Honda Corp. (daily) to ask anyone their if they knew where the car was... NO luck... I was only able to get a name of the company that did the work on the car... I was trying to get a job at 5 Axxis a few months back and was able to see some of their work.. They do some crazy stuff...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Zoom Zoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If not it still will remain their property and regardless cannot be sold or reproduce w/o their permission. AND before you even wonder... NO they won't grant it. TRUST ME.

www.5axismodels.net [/COLOR]