How to Zaino on a hot day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 12:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
How to Zaino on a hot day?

Hi All,

I definitely am going to zaino the car today
after work. As usual I am using the three level parking lot at work to do it in.

It's about 90 today - I was planning on doing this:
1) leaving the car in sunlight all day
2) putting z2 on
3) moving the car down to the middle level after to let it dry
4) after wiping off the z2 (hopefully after an hour and a half or so), and putting Z6 on.

If I leave it in the sun to dry, then the Z6 is going to go berzerk, is that correct?

------------------
'01 Aegean Blue CL S-Type w/Nav (Built 6/01)
2 Coats of Z5/Z6, acura-cl.com sticker, Yellow lobster, AEM CAI, Polarg M6
=====
CL FAQ: www.wizardsworks.org/chod/acura
80K and growing!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never wash your car on in the sun. Let the paint dry cool in the shade before applying the Zaino.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:33 PM
Advanced

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor20946

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Leaves no powder or white residue in cracks, is non-greasy, non-oily, anti-static, will not attract dust or dirt and can be applied to the entire vehicle in the sun or shade.
</font>

------------------
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium - 30k
1993 Honda Accord LX - 114k
1992 Volvo 240 - 175k
Old 06-28-2001, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

It won't hurt if your car is hot before you put Zaino on, but I don't understand why you'd want to put it in the shade to let it dry?? Just checked your weather... it's 88 with 42% humidity. I would DEFINITELY leave it in the sun to dry. 42% humidity isn't too bad, but it's enough to affect Zaino.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Gold should us AZ boys do Zaino @ night? I've haven't waxed my baby yet, probably getting a little tessy, but hey, I given her lot o gifts.

------------------
'01 Black CL S, Spoiler, Tint,Comptech Headers, Sways, Exhaust& Springs, AEM CAI w/ Bypass,AEM Tru pulleys,Denso Iridium Plugs, aftermarket wood trim kit, V1 hardwired,PIAA Xwhites interior
Old 06-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MtBikR:
Hey Gold should us AZ boys do Zaino @ night? I've haven't waxed my baby yet, probably getting a little tessy, but hey, I given her lot o gifts.

</font>
I always do it during the day, actually, so I can take advantage of the sun. Dries instantly!

Old 06-28-2001, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
It won't hurt if your car is hot before you put Zaino on, but I don't understand why you'd want to put it in the shade to let it dry??
</font>
I thought that if the car was too hot, then the Z6 would dry too fast and spot up when you tried to put it on?

------------------
=====
80K and growing!
Old 06-28-2001, 06:42 PM
Red X

do you have to wash your car before everytime you wax it?

------------------
Not a cl-s owner just yet...but soon enough
Old 06-28-2001, 07:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gmilian:
</font>
Zaino for whatever reason is pretty good about bonding only to the paint itself. I got sloppy last time and thought my car was 'clean enough' and as I was wiping on the Z2 I realized my applicator was getting depressingly dirty. But the car looked like a million bucks after I wiped it off.

However, if you push your luck you run the risk of zainoing something -onto- your car, which would then make it extremely difficult to get off in the future.

Time time I washed my car first.

------------------
=====
80K and growing!
Old 06-28-2001, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
Hi All,

I definitely am going to zaino the car today
after work. As usual I am using the three level parking lot at work to do it in.

It's about 90 today - I was planning on doing this:
1) leaving the car in sunlight all day
2) putting z2 on
3) moving the car down to the middle level after to let it dry
4) after wiping off the z2 (hopefully after an hour and a half or so), and putting Z6 on.

If I leave it in the sun to dry, then the Z6 is going to go berzerk, is that correct?

</font>
I talked to Sal Zaino about this very issue and here is the info:

1. If you plan of leaving the car in the sun all day, the paint will probably be burning hot. It there are no clouds, it will be super hot. Now if it isn't white, forget about it -- the surface is on fire. Do NOT Z6 and NEVER wash the car in the burning hot sun -- ever!!!!

The Z6 dries too fast to wipe off (it is supposed to be a wipe on/wipe off thing -- it is not supposed to dry on the car!!!

(Find some shade)

2. The Z2 will go on the car in ridiculous temps, but if you are like me, you will see the stuff vaporize as it hits the car's paint surface -- can you say, "I just wasting a ton of Z2 'cause it is vaporizing..." The best situation is doing a Z2 right after the car gets out of the garage, or under clouds, or in the HOT SHADE. Let it "cure"/dry in the sun for a fast cure time.

3. You got the levels mixed-up. Use shade for wash, Z6, clay, etc. Also, you will find that a little bit of Z2 or Z5 goes a long way when you: a) first soak the pad in water, b) squirt a little Z6 on the clean pad, c) apply thin strips of Z2/Z5 to the pad. Less than one oz. will do the car in the hot shade. Even if you have washed the car, you would do well to do a Z6 (gloss enhancer) in the shade. It will remove any bits of water spots (and other junk) left from a wash and will prep the surface for a perfect Z2/Z5.

Remember, putting on the Z2/Z5 is like putting on layers of clear plastic, anything left under the layer will show! I left two pinheads of dirt from my last coat and removed them with the clay bar and put the coats back -- OK?

4. After an hour in the sun, use a super soft bath size cotton towel to remove all of the Z2/Z5. It should come off as powder -- if it is smearing, you need to wait longer. Once it comes off (dry), take the car down to level 2 (mid level) and you can apply the Z6 (once the car cools a bit). I find that the final Z6 helps to keep the "crud" from sinking into the finish and adds a bit more shine. If tried Z6 finish and no Z6 finish before a few long trips -- the use of Z6, as the final coat, made removal of "junk" so much easier.

(The Z6 works fine it the car is "warm" NOT HOT.)

Finally, never wash the paint when the paint is hot to the touch. As in the sun. If you are talking about 6AM in Los Angeles, go for it...

(my opinions expressed here)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

It won't hurt if your car is hot before you put Zaino on, but I don't understand why you'd want to put it in the shade to let it dry?? Just checked your weather... it's 88 with 42% humidity. I would DEFINITELY leave it in the sun to dry. 42% humidity isn't too bad, but it's enough to affect Zaino.</font>
After talking to Sal and after some 95 degree LA temps in the sun, I can tell you for sure that the Z2 and/or Z5 gets used up too fast and is a pain in the butt to put on. It will work, but it is so much easier to find shade to put the stuff on, then find some sun to speed up the cure time.

(When the quick cure additive comes out, some of this may change -- I don't know...)

------------------
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-28-2001, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gmilian:

</font>
NO, but the car better be clean. If you have a car that has been in the garage or only has a few bits of dust, you can use the Z6 before doing a Z2 or Z5. Just make sure the car is CLEAN!!!

If it isn't clean -- get used to the clay bar, you will be using it to spot remove bits of stuff under one or more layers of Zaino!

BTW -- wipe the back of the car just after you turn the car on cold (from after night). You will find a bit of black exhaust on the rear bumper (a tiny bit) from the warm-up cycle (the junk that comes out of the car's tail pipes before the engine/cat. converter warms up). Does this give anyone a thought or two about using Z6 before doing a Z2/Z5...

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I always do it during the day, actually, so I can take advantage of the sun. Dries instantly!

</font>
You must use a ton of the stuff if you leave your car out in the burning sun before you Z2 or do you?

------------------
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-28-2001, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
You must use a ton of the stuff if you leave your car out in the burning sun before you Z2 or do you?

</font>
I guess I've never done that. The car is cool to the touch before I put on Z-2. But I do make it a point to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put the car out in the sun just after putting Z-2 on it. It cuts the drying time down by about 80%. I've used Z-6 on the car when it's hot. I do such a small area at a time that I've never noticed it drying before I can wipe it off. I literally squirt and immediately wipe it off. But, again, I don't think I've ever done that in direct sunlight - just when the car was hot to the touch.