how round is round?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how round is round?

Took my car to Acura and said 'balance the tires, check wheel alignment and fix the rotors'. I was getting steerring wheel shimmy, especially with the brake applied. They said, 'no can do, your 2 front tires aren't round'. Told me to go back to my tire dealer first, these were new tires.

The original installer said 'they are round'. But these guys charged me to balance my rear tires and never did so I don't trust them. The next tire shop said, "one is round, one isn't". So, I've got three opinions, none of which match.

I took out my ruler and measured em myself. There is a 2mm difference in the radius on one tire and and a 1mm difference in the radius in the other tire. I think the 2mm tire has to go back, what about the 1mm. How much out of round is tolerable?
Old 04-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how round is round?

Originally posted by DreamU
Took my car to Acura and said 'balance the tires, check wheel alignment and fix the rotors'. I was getting steerring wheel shimmy, especially with the brake applied. They said, 'no can do, your 2 front tires aren't round'. Told me to go back to my tire dealer first, these were new tires.

The original installer said 'they are round'. But these guys charged me to balance my rear tires and never did so I don't trust them. The next tire shop said, "one is round, one isn't". So, I've got three opinions, none of which match.

I took out my ruler and measured em myself. There is a 2mm difference in the radius on one tire and and a 1mm difference in the radius in the other tire. I think the 2mm tire has to go back, what about the 1mm. How much out of round is tolerable?
1-2 millimeter off is on roundness, U shouldn't feel shimmy when braking nor high speed. If U feel shimmy when braking, U probably have warped rotors. If U feel shimmy at high speed 65MPH & higher), U have a balancing problem.

U could also have a warped / bent wheel, goto a shop to balance, watch the wheel spin while on the balancer, if U could see it the warp/bent or out of round tire, U will see it bounce up & down. If U can't see it with the naked eye, then it's not neglible.

If a shop does not calibrate their balancers every month, the machines could be off & U're not getting a true balance. Goto a different shop & check your balance.