How to install PIAA road lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install PIAA road lamps?

What a pain in the butt. The local car toys shop had the lights (paid $14), but it was a pain to find them. Just knowing the number 19169 didn't help because that is not the number on the front of the package, where the model number is "H-99". Cool looking package though, has that ricey Japaneese writing all over it.

Looks very blue, but I guess once its on its white and matches the headlights. Anyone have any trouble with the police? "its blue", "no its white", "its blue", "no its white I will turn them on for you", "ok its white next time drive slower"

Ok, now I got these things, how do I get them in? I searched but could not find a post with instructions.

I am on a roll, this is the 2nd mod for my CL-S!

Thanks!!

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder
Old 01-12-2001, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Upgraded cup holder? hows it differnt from the one we have. i got my car in sept.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load.
Old 01-12-2001, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Upgraded cup holder? hows it differnt from the one we have. i got my car in sept.
</font>
Everytime I see his signature I crack up. Not sure what it is, but the fact he lists it as a mod is great!!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-12-2001, 03:27 PM
Instructor

umm, don't you mean "she" and "her" for me? Last I checked (wait, I'll check again, yup both still there) I was a "she".

Nova, do the mud guards really work well? Are they worth it?? How do they look?

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder

[This message has been edited by Athena_CL_TypeS (edited 01-12-2001).]
Old 01-12-2001, 03:33 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ok, now I got these things, how do I get them in? I searched but could not find a post with instructions.
[/B]</font>
It's pretty easy, just look in your owner's manual. They give full instructions on how to get to the driving lights from below.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Wheel Locks/Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N filter 33-2178 on the way!
Old 01-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Drifting

I think the mod and he refered to NOVAWhiteTypeS

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 01-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Athena_CL_TypeS:
umm, don't you mean "she" and "her" for me? Last I checked (wait, I'll check again, yup both still there) I was a "she".

</font>
Old 01-12-2001, 04:17 PM
ACME sucks!

</font>

I put the splash guards on myself and they work great, and look great too. They should put these and wheel locks on at the factory. They are worth the investment. DO NOT have them installed, do it yourself.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Wheel Locks/Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N filter 33-2178 on the way!
Old 01-12-2001, 04:22 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Lay on the ground on your back (hope it's not cold!) and reach between the bumper and the rubber skid plate. It's flexible enough that you can get your hand in their to remove the bulb from the back of the housing. The wire is long enough that you can pull it through and put the new bulb in. Don't touch the bulb glass with your hands. Use a tissue or gloves. Oil from your fingerprints will shorten the bulbs life considerably. :eek Good luck.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-12-2001, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Athena, installed the mud guards myself and although that (also fenderwell trim and the lamps) are easy to install the functionality of the guards is comparable to preshoveling for a snowstorm. You will still see all of the mud.

Nova, maybe you have a special one but in your sig you list a cargo net as a mod?
Is the one you have different than the black cargo nets that every CL comes with?

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-12-2001, 07:27 PM
w.t.f., mate?

What a pain in the butt. The local car toys shop had the lights (paid $14), but it was a pain to find them. Just knowing the number 19169 didn't help because that is not the number on the front of the package, where the model number is "H-99". Cool looking package though, has that ricey Japaneese writing all over it.

Looks very blue, but I guess once its on its white and matches the headlights. Anyone have any trouble with the police? "its blue", "no its white", "its blue", "no its white I will turn them on for you", "ok its white next time drive slower"

Ok, now I got these things, how do I get them in? I searched but could not find a post with instructions.

I am on a roll, this is the 2nd mod for my CL-S!

Thanks!!

</font>
I think I bought the same ones as you(I think...) What was the brand name?

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!! Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector.

Former post count : Over 470
Old 01-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

</font>
yeah the mud guards work pretty good. esp when it rains or if there dirt water or mud on the ground. it gets most of the dirt and only lets little splatters get on the body. to clean the rest i just use the california duster and works great. hlps keep my car clean. if you want to see how it looks. here the post of my car. sorry guys this is the ony pic i have and im using it like 50 times

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...826&a=10284027

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.

Old 01-12-2001, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

[Don't touch the bulb glass with your hands. Use a tissue or gloves. Oil from your fingerprints will shorten the bulbs life considerably. :eek Good luck.

[/B][/QUOTE]

you can touch the bulb itz okay. i touched mine. your just not allowed to touch head lights cuz there 35+ watts. these are only 5 watts if your using piaa. and i touched mine and there only 18wattz they don't heat up that much so don't worry too much about blowing your bulb. trust me i used 5 watt wedge bulbls for my side markers in my previos car and i touched, rubbed and swapped them out like 10 times. eveytime some one came out w/ a new "super white" bulb i would swapp them out. Also from exp. never touch the headlight bulb. to see if it was true i bought a cheap 5 dollar headlight bulb and touch it and tested to see wat happen. after bout 5 min that shit blew .

------------------
CL-S

Old 01-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Nova, maybe you have a special one but in your sig you list a cargo net as a mod?
Is the one you have different than the black cargo nets that every CL comes with?

[/B][/QUOTE]

the reason why I put it in my sig was cuz i just put eveything that cam w/ the car in my sig.

------------------
CL-S

Old 01-13-2001, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the help everyone! My new lights are now in, what a difference they make. I put on some rubber gloves and reached through the plastic, no problems at all. All the front lights now match, I should have done this 6 months ago.

Iridium, the bulbs I got are PIAA. The 19169 number is the part number which is on the back of the box. The model number is H-99 which is on the front of the box.

So I have 1 vote for mudflaps, 1 vote against. Are you people from Florida?

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt
Old 01-13-2001, 02:58 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

\
So I have 1 vote for mudflaps, 1 vote against. Are you people from Florida?

</font>
2 votes against mudflaps

How 'bout them cupholders, what's the story, Athena?
Old 01-13-2001, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Allow me to qualify my vote against the mud guards.

Yes – slightly enhances the cars appearance. (Helps color contrast on a white model)

No - functionality. (I have noticed no more protection from slop on my car)

No, I am not yet a Floridian. If you guys down there could build some mountains or large hills and as I age, who knows.....?

Good luck …

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-13-2001, 04:23 PM
Instructor

The cupholder story:

Sometime between August and October Acura changed the design of the cup holder insert.
In my original, the insert's sides were not very deep, maybe an inch or so. If you got the monster size drink it fit fine, mostly due to it being held in by the sides of the opening. However, a standard waterbottle or drink would not be held in at all, and would (and did) tip.
The new holder design has the rounded inserts much taller. So now waterbottles and standard drink sizes will wobble a bit but not tip over. Large sizes also still fit.

I found this out by accident when having my first oil change. The showroom CL-S had the new design in it. A week and $6 later I had it in my CL-S.

When I ordered it, the part was not in the computer yet. Service called up Acura directly (got right through) and my part was ordered in about 2 minutes.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt