How Fast Are You?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Fast Are You?

I have been reading some of your guys recent posts and I must say some of your members are quite free W/ the insults toward The pontiac grand prix GTP. I also understand how you could think that the GTP is a dated Domestic because I have owned a few Acuras and some Hondas in my lifetime and they are deffanately fun to drive. I swiched over to the GTP because they were so fast and there was such a good base of knowledge out on the internet.

Here is the question: I have a 4 door automatic 3660lb car that with only $854 worth of performance mods can smoke most modified mustang gt's, most decently modified s2000's and countless civics W/ swaps and nos or turbos. I also am required to wear a helmet when going down the strip. Can you beet me? And if you can I would like to hear your quarter mile time and if you are near Dallas I would love to line up W/ you.

I do agree you have quick, good looking cars but if you think the GTP is such a slouch, prove it.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 01-07-2002, 08:18 PM
10th Gear

OK? Is that all you have to say?
Old 01-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by GTP DAVE
OK? Is that all you have to say?
Ok im sorry, i was just having some fun. For me as one, i know there are quick GTPs around. I seen them at the track. Best times i seen for a CLS is a 14.2....

what YOU running?

By the way, i like the GTPs
Old 01-07-2002, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

On average I run 13.7's to 13.9's. That running on 45 series street tires. My 60' times suck! And remember this is on less than 1K in upgrades. I know of a few GTP guys that are running consistant 12.4's with a factory exhaust and not even opening up the engines except for rockers.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On average I run 13.7's to 13.9's. That running on 45 series street tires. My 60' times suck! And remember this is on less than 1K in upgrades. I know of a few GTP guys that are running consistant 12.4's with a factory exhaust and not even opening up the engines except for rockers.
That's impressive... big time! I'm with Crazy, I like the Pontiac's. One of my good friends is running a highly modified y2k Bonneville SSEi, low 13's. Not bad for a big big car.

How bad are you're 60fts? Mine are around 2.24 ~ 2.31 with the slicks (only one day of 4 runs on them last year though.)
Old 01-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
GTP Dave : not all of us ragged on the GTPs.

Besides, give me a break. What do you expect from an Acura bulleting board. You would have to expect some members to be ragging on any other cars than an Acura.

So. If it riles you up, DO NOT come on this site. I would hope none of us from this board goes over to any other bulletin boards to start anything. I would hope the reverse can be true.

Goodbye!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:56 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

OK, OK...just getting a laugh...I apologize...didn't mean to be rude. Why would you even care what some of these guys say about your car? It's your car. You enjoy driving it? Happy with your choice? Fast enough for you...enough to beat most other cars out there? Aren't those the reasons you bought your car?

I realize my car is adequate in terms of speed, and I can beat most cars out there, but there are faster cars out there. So, who cares...I beat you, you beat him, so on and so on. What's the point? Who cares what other people think. I modded my car for my own personal enjoyment. I should be out there right now challenging other people to races...but I don't...that's not what my car is for...it's for getting me from point A to point B in comfort. Once again, I reiterate, who cares what these guys say about your car. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

Incidentally, I have been a longtime fan of Pontiacs since I was a teenager. I grew up driving a Quad 4 Grand Am and I've always wanted a Fiero GT...back when I was younger though. Plus, I give your car a lot of respect on the street. One guy wanted to race me but I backed down(automatic 1yr suspended license for racing here)...guess I should have went for it since he had a crappy launch...oh well, no big deal.

Oh yeah, don't let the name fool you. I chose it as a satirical spoof towards some of our more...ahem...outspoken and enthusiastic members
Old 01-07-2002, 09:19 PM
10th Gear

I am glad to see some cool, reasonable guys on here. The reason I posted here was because of all the Sh*t talking on a few other threads. Mackdaddy, is your friends name Scott? If so he is on clubgp all the time. BTY try 3+ sec 60 ft times. I am really not trying to start stuff here, I am just trying to set some people strait. I don't understand the need to sh*t talk about something you don't know about.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:29 PM
I love my CL-S

Re: How Fast Are You?

I have been reading some of your guys recent posts and I must say some of your members are quite free W/ the insults toward The pontiac grand prix GTP. I also understand how you could think that the GTP is a dated Domestic because I have owned a few Acuras and some Hondas in my lifetime and they are deffanately fun to drive. I swiched over to the GTP because they were so fast and there was such a good base of knowledge out on the internet.

Here is the question: I have a 4 door automatic 3660lb car that with only $854 worth of performance mods can smoke most modified mustang gt's, most decently modified s2000's and countless civics W/ swaps and nos or turbos. I also am required to wear a helmet when going down the strip. Can you beet me? And if you can I would like to hear your quarter mile time and if you are near Dallas I would love to line up W/ you.

I do agree you have quick, good looking cars but if you think the GTP is such a slouch, prove it.
the DECENTLY MODIFIED s2k wasnt racing you..or he cant dirve stick
Old 01-07-2002, 09:30 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I dunno about Pontiacs--last one I had for a loaner was a grand am and that thing felt like a DEATH TRAP and it only had about 4000 miles on it. I swear you could turn the steering wheel 3/4 turn before the wheels even moved.

And what's with the 18,000 lights on the dashboard? Ever heard of simplicity of design?

No offense, but I think Pontiac clearly has the worst interiors of any car out there, fast or not.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I am glad to see some cool, reasonable guys on here. The reason I posted here was because of all the Sh*t talking on a few other threads. Mackdaddy, is your friends name Scott? If so he is on clubgp all the time. BTY try 3+ sec 60 ft times. I am really not trying to start stuff here, I am just trying to set some people strait. I don't understand the need to sh*t talk about something you don't know about.
Yup. Him and my best friend Jeff McClurg are just starting up a company for LSD's, and billet rockers right now. Two of the sharpest guys you'll ever know. Tell Scott I said hey.

Don't let some of the board members bother ya. It's all good here folks, right!? Modern day muscle car brothers unite.

Damn, I though my 60ft times sucked. Traction problems, eh? I saw a nice drop with the slicks.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn 5 minute edit limit.....

Give one of Scott & Jeff's LSD's a try. That'll knock that 60ft time down. I really should see if they can work an LSD for us too. Hmmmm

Jim
Old 01-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Lucky Kid Member

GTP Dave,

Shutup. You and your POS Pontiac..... I mean shit, no one here really cares if your pissed at us dogging on your car or not. 1. its ugly. 2. Shitty design. 3. your stupid for coming here and crying like a little bitch. Have fun at the track wearing your goofy helmet.

peace

:pfawk:
Old 01-07-2002, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

I am not going to go into some of my races but the s2000 was racing. That is cool that you know Scott, I only know him through the board and I can tell he knows his stuff! Small world. I in fact love my dash, I have heads up display, constant MPG, oil quality meter, gallons used, and lights that are really easy on the eyes. Add a digital boost gauge into the package and I think the dash rocks. Not that any Acura dash doesn't, Pontiac just has a different style.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Banned

Here's why I didn't get a Pontiac... Notice the bottom of the graph... where the yellow oval is.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Scorpius
Here's why I didn't get a Pontiac... Notice the bottom of the graph... where the yellow oval is.
then again jaguar is number 3 on THAT chart...
Old 01-07-2002, 10:10 PM
10th Gear

You have to remember, Mags are usually biased, even jd power and asoc. I for one have owned both import and domestic and the import cars usually have better interior build quality but I have had my fair share of problems with them as many GTP owners have. I haven't had any problem with mine but it is just a 2k1. What I have learned is that todays cars are good for about 5-7 years, after that you will need to do some work on them no matter what they are.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Crazy AcurA

then again jaguar is number 3 on THAT chart...
Well, I will propably be ostracized for saying this...but Jag's record (reliability) has improved dramatically ever since Ford's buyout.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
this is gay

The GTP looks like shit...I dont care if it's 1 second faster then my CL...
Old 01-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Racer

Let's see here... How have I made fun of Pontiacs? Oh yeah!

I sarcastically remarked that their website was cool, since it had been down for at least 4 hours. When it returned, it inundated my screen with pop-up ads and non-functionality.

I made fun of the mechanical problems that plauge Pontiac owners, rather unfairly I might add. I was foolishly going by market research published by Carpoint (The CL, for comparison), and Edmunds (the CL was not crash tested, but it does have side airbags). For resale value, I checked Kelly. That data, combined with the J.D. Power graph and the problematic reputation Pontiac has, led me to make such a foolish statement. =)

I have praised the GTP too, mind you. They are just as fun to drive as the CL, and they are cheaper. Plus I heard you can make your dash go heads-up-display mode.

No, I'm not interested in racing. If it makes you feel better, you would win. Hooray!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Banned

I personally like the design of the Grand Prix's (not the SE though). Only thing I don't like is reliability. I used to own a '91 Grand Am LE and also a '95 Grand Prix Special Edition (loved the GP). The GP of mine gave me so many problems, it wasn't even funny, everything from electrical shortages to engine burning oil at only 50,000 miles. I loved the car, but hated the build quality. I know that not all are like this, but I would personally not take my chances anymore.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Old timer

car that ... can smoke ... most decently modified s2000's
Just for my own info, what's a decently modified s2k? I wasn't aware there was much that can be done to it for any "decent" gain besides the Comptech Supercharger, which is somewhat more than "decent" IIRC.

And as for GTP vs CL-S, it ain't all about speed - you gotta have comfort and style, both of which are lacking in all current Pontiac products and the biggest reason why I forced myself to cross them off the list of possibles last spring. I even test drove a GTP TWICE and still couldn't get over the tacky interior. It's simply horrid, IMHO. And this is the opinion of someone who's grown up in a family that has owned almost exclusively GM cars (last ones were '98 Grand Am, '97 Camaro Z28, '93 Bonneville, '89 Grand Prix).

They really have done a job on the interiors over at Pontiac. That Poor Old Newbie sure won't Think It's A Cadillac anymore.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:20 AM
Banned

You have to remember, Mags are usually biased, even jd power and asoc. I for one have owned both import and domestic and the import cars usually have better interior build quality but I have had my fair share of problems with them as many GTP owners have. I haven't had any problem with mine but it is just a 2k1. What I have learned is that todays cars are good for about 5-7 years, after that you will need to do some work on them no matter what they are.

Of course all mags that don't agree with you are biased...
Find me a mag that isn't 'biased.'
Old 01-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Originally posted by GTP DAVE:

Have you ever tried running your car with slicks or drag radials. If so what is your best time? If not, why would someone who claims to be so serious about racing at the strip that he would buy a helmet, not spring for a pair of drag radials or slicks? 3+ seconds 60' times (thats pathetic).

I'm not trying to be rude but you came here posting a challenge. I have not been to the track yet, but I have beaten a few of you GTP guys on the street already & countless Mustangs (my greatest Mustang victory was a Cobra that claims he ran a 13.5 @105 mph). As a matter of fact one of my good friends (lives in NC) drove down to race me with his GTP (he was talking the same shit that you are) when I had my Integra GS-R on NOS & drove back up a loser "3 cars to be exact". My GS-R ran 13.8 @102 mph w/2.2 60' time on Toyo Proxes T1's at Moroso. My CL-S pulls much harder than my GS-R & on the dyno put 282 hp & 250 lb/ft of torque to the wheels. I have nothing bad to say about you or your car, but if you want to come to Florida I will gladly line up with you buddy.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S

Have you ever tried running your car with slicks or drag radials. If so what is your best time? If not, why would someone who claims to be so serious about racing at the strip that he would buy a helmet, not spring for a pair of drag radials or slicks? 3+ seconds 60' times (thats pathetic).

I'm not trying to be rude but you came here posting a challenge. I have not been to the track yet, but I have beaten a few of you GTP guys on the street already & countless Mustangs (my greatest Mustang victory was a Cobra that claims he ran a 13.5 @105 mph). As a matter of fact one of my good friends (lives in NC) drove down to race me with his GTP (he was talking the same shit that you are) when I had my Integra GS-R on NOS & drove back up a loser "3 cars to be exact". My GS-R ran 13.8 @102 mph w/2.2 60' time on Toyo Proxes T1's at Moroso. My CL-S pulls much harder than my GS-R & on the dyno put 282 hp & 250 lb/ft of torque to the wheels. I have nothing bad to say about you or your car, but if you want to come to Florida I will gladly line up with you buddy.
The chances of him lining up with you are Slim to None... and Slim just left the country.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Banned

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/topic.as...PIC_ID=6384850

Here's the thread thet started it all. They think the TL costs $40,000 Ha ha ha!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Line my Acura up to yours in 5 years and see who wins the race on:

value
resale
brand reliability

AND

class.

Nuff said, you may be the hare but I'm happily the tortise.

HAVE A NICE DAY DOMESTIC POS OWNER
Old 01-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
One decent and sensible post frpm ChadsGT.

Like they are not slamming us on their site. All I can say is : the Pontiac guys (yes GTP Dave) included should just stay on their board and we should do the same, esp if they want to talk trash.

Made me laugh when a 96 Acura has a better interior than a 2001 Pontiac (admitted by a Pontiac owner no less). LOL
Old 01-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by eclipse23
Line my Acura up to yours in 5 years and see who wins the race on:

value
resale
brand reliability

AND

class.

Nuff said, you may be the hare but I'm happily the tortise.

HAVE A NICE DAY DOMESTIC POS OWNER
JD Powers would have to agree with you. Of course... as Dave would say... the study if flawed... they only inluded cars they were built on weekdays...
Old 01-08-2002, 01:41 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been reading some of your guys recent posts and I must say some of your members are quite free W/ the insults toward The pontiac grand prix GTP.

That's probably because you can't compare a Pontiac Grand Prix to an Acura CL/TL in any way at all. You should go over to the Chevy Cavalier or Geo Metro boards. You can talk all you want over there. Bye! :P
Old 01-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Advanced

id like to race you...where do you live? just recently put the 3.5 liter parts in...hehh
Old 01-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by mike8_5_8to6_1_9
id like to race you...where do you live? just recently put the 3.5 liter parts in...hehh
Holy fuck that's a schweeeet ride! Nice mods, you should post more
Old 01-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Advanced

ill have pictures up within a week...its a Group5 sponsored car...
Old 01-08-2002, 02:19 PM

how fast am i? Oh I am fast, very fast. I'll lose to u guys so fast that I might as well just sit here and watch.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scorpius
http://www.clubgp.com/forum/topic.as...PIC_ID=6384850
Here's the thread thet started it all. They think the TL costs $40,000 Ha ha ha!!!
Check out that guy "JohnManGT", he's saying he would take the GTP over the new M3!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahah ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah ahhahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry couldn't resist. The 325 I can see, but if you had the choice between the 330/M3 or GTP, you'd pick the GTP?

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahahah

Ok, sorry, I'm back
Old 01-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Call me an elitist but I did not even consider a PONTIAC when I was thinking of buying a car.

The car label ACURA speaks for itself. It's a division of HONDA and in every aspect NO ONE can touch HONDA in the domestic world.

These people who have a hardon for Pontiacs are wierd.

They call us 'snobs', why? Because our car is better and were smarter to buy it? Sure, call me a snob but I'm a snob with a better car that will still resell in 5 years. Giving these domestic dummies our board time is wasting bandwidth.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eclipse23
Call me an elitist but I did not even consider a PONTIAC when I was thinking of buying a car.

The car label ACURA speaks for itself. It's a division of HONDA and in every aspect NO ONE can touch HONDA in the domestic world.

These people who have a hardon for Pontiacs are wierd.

They call us 'snobs', why? Because our car is better and were smarter to buy it? Sure, call me a snob but I'm a snob with a better car that will still resell in 5 years. Giving these domestic dummies our board time is wasting bandwidth.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to buy a car and those were my only choices... it'd be the GTP... its cheaper... I can't afford a BMW. Since that situation won't happen anytime soon...
Old 01-08-2002, 04:31 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by M5 Lite

Check out that guy "JohnManGT", he's saying he would take the GTP over the new M3!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Hell, I'd take any BMW at all over a Pontiac Grand Prix. The Pontiac might be fast or whatever, but the interior absolutely sucks. I remember when my dad had a Pontiac Firebird and I just loved that car. But that was like 15 years ago, back when Pontiac's were cool and all the kids, including myself, wanted to drive around in a Trans Am like Knight Rider.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 02 Aegean CLS

Well, I will propably be ostracized for saying this...but Jag's record (reliability) has improved dramatically ever since Ford's buyout.
But its tru. The late XJ series was without a doubt a winner for them.
Just never crash em, parts are stupid nuts.

As for GTP. God one thought of AC Delco makes me wanna vommit.

Quick Reply: How Fast Are You?