How come clock did not update on our Nav's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Balla on a Budget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come clock did not update on our Nav's?

Since our Nav's clock are GPS controlled, wouldn't it make sense for them to update automatically, like Sprint Phones do?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would make sense but that ain't the case. It even asks us for our Time Zone as well.

At least its a snap to change the time on the Navi though.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:49 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

yeah but sprint phones are get their time information from local cell relay points.

with the navi you would have to get the sattelites triangulated and then determine what time zone your currently in. It would then have to transmit the current time to your navi. I guess it could transferr the universal world time( GMT Greenwitch Mean Time) and then let the on board navi determine what time zone its in.

All that turns out to be a pain in the ass when you could just press the buttons yourself. Acura/hondas have about the easiest time changing the clock of any cars out there.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Race Director

"The time transmitted by the satellite atomic clock are UTC (Universal Time Coordinated) and provides no correction for daylight savings."

The rest of the smarts are not spec'd out in our Navi....just isn't there.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
yeah it's UTC but they could have added logic to figure out which timezone you're currently in.
How cool would it be to drive across a timezone and have it switch automagically?
Still, how hard is it? Menu... Setup... Others... time set... hour+... Done.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Race Director

Let's say you live in Columbus, GA on the Eastern Time Zone. I used to go there quite a bit and it's common to drive around and across the Phenix City, AL to Central Time Zone. As a resident, you might drive back and forth quite often and you never change your watch, why would you want your Navi time to change automatically? That would be annoying.....
Old 04-06-2004, 05:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by kensteele
Let's say you live in Columbus, GA on the Eastern Time Zone. I used to go there quite a bit and it's common to drive around and across the Phenix City, AL to Central Time Zone. As a resident, you might drive back and forth quite often and you never change your watch, why would you want your Navi time to change automatically? That would be annoying.....
Actually I think the NAVI DOES adjust as you cross time zones.
I say this because when I loaded the new version DVD up, my car was parked inside my garage.
Because it couldn’t get a satellite signal it thought it was in Los Angeles and my clock was off by 3-hours.
As soon as I drove it down the road it fixed itself.

Shawn S
Old 04-06-2004, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kensteele
Let's say you live in Columbus, GA on the Eastern Time Zone. I used to go there quite a bit and it's common to drive around and across the Phenix City, AL to Central Time Zone.
I know that area well and will be heading down 431 in a few weeks.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by AK_MOBBER
with the navi you would have to get the sattelites triangulated and then determine what time zone your currently in. It would then have to transmit the current time to your navi. I guess it could transferr the universal world time( GMT Greenwitch Mean Time) and then let the on board navi determine what time zone its in.
But that's kind of the point. The only data that the GPS satellites are currently transmitting IS the exact time. That's how the system works. It reads a very accurate time signal from several different satellites, and triangulates for a position fix. Most of the handheld GPS devices automatically set time and time zone, because the unit already has all the data it needs to make that determination.

What's interesting is that I think that the Nav in our car does use the time signal to reset itself, just not a full hour. Try and make it 10 minutes fast, and leave it that way for a week. I believe it eventually resets itself to the real time, based on the GPS signal. However, if it is doing that, I don't know why it doesn't just pick the right time zone anyway.