Hooked on Honda (Acura)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooked on Honda (Acura)

I'm currious...how did everyone end up with Honda/Acuras?

A couple years ago I was looking at getting a Camry. But then, my car died before I could buy a new car so I drove my brother's beater '89 Accord LXi for a couple days. The thing was old and beat near to death but it ROCKED. I've been hooked on the H/A ever since. So if my car hadn't died on me prematurely, I would probably be at a friggin' Toyota forum now and would never have known any better.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Instructor

I only drive Acura Coupes.. now

I assume you drive a CL now? My first Honda was a red Prelude, loved that car, my first Japanese car. Then 2 Legend Coupes, Gen1 and Gen2, (my favorite cars ever!) and now the CLS 6 I got last week.

I like the CL a lot, it has almost everything I like, but the Legends were more thrilling to own. It's hard to explain. I traded in my 95 Legend Coupe and they sold it the next day! There are waiting lines for used Legends (mostly for Coupes and manuals) at many dealers. Truthfully, I would have considered buying a 6 speed Legend Coupe if low mileage ones existed, they don't.

I'm hoping some of that popularity rubs off on the CLS when it is out of production, but I don't know. I don't think the CLS will be viewed the same in 8 years. People would ask me if the Legend was new and I'd get comments on it all the time. I had more than a few offers from strangers to buy it! It was distinctive and timeless, and I did not mod it at all.

The CL-S 6 speed is a fantastic car at a bargain price with the best engine and shifter I've ever had, but Honda has not built another car like the Legend Coupe, they were $10k more and built in Japan. I love driving the CLS a lot, I like it's features and have no major regrets. It's a great car but it needed more styling to be a more popular choice. It's a steal for what you get. I'll always try to support Acura and their wonderful legendary coupes.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

when i was in high school my mom had a legend and i loved it, then my dad got a first gen cl and i liked that a lot too, since my mom had had 2 more rls and told me she was happy with them, one of my good friends also has a tl type s and i really liked his car so when it came time for me to sell my kid car, a jeep with 35 inch tires, for a more practical car for commuting, the cl came to mind i went and test drove the type s six speed and loved it
Old 03-05-2003, 11:59 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
Well I had always wanted a prelude, but couldnt find one in HS so I found an amazing deal on a 1985 bmw 528e from a lexus dealer my folks had bought 2 cars from already ( a lexus and a used accord which i hated driving) So i loved my beamer and bought it myself. after 1 year of high school and 3 years of college I drove that car out to LA from NC for an internship and it was time to just sell it and fly home where my dad had his old accord waiting for me ( he got himself another lexus) I fought it, i didnt want to, i wanted to keep the beamer or get a newer one. But in the end I faced the fact it would not make it back to NC so I said Id take the accord.

It was an 89 LXi black and in ok condition. the body was immacutlate but to drive it i hated it. But my dad took it to the dealership ( i would end up selling cars for them nearly one year later after i graduated) and he totally had the car refurbished even put in a great sound sys. When i got home and drove the car i was amazed, it was so much fun, a little smaller but damn i loved it. Then I hit a deer one year later and totaled it, but one of the sales guys i worked with was selling an 89 prelude si, i finally my dream car, a third gen prelude!!! I was in mad love with this car amazing in everyway. I drove it out to LA when I moved out here and it was an awesome 4 day trip!

Sadly one year later a fucking speeding off duty EMT van totaled my baby and it was back to the drawing board. I wanted a newer prelude, but i couldnt find any used 5th gen in LA with a 5spd. So I wanted an RSX-s, too much on the insurance. WRX, still too much, new 5spd IS300 too much. Then i found a used CL 5spd and decided to keep in the Honda/Acura family afterall. So there you go, I will always have a great love and respect for honda/acura.
sorry bout the uber long story.
Cheers
Old 03-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've always owned domestic cars (except for my aircooled veedubs). This is my first import (I've been driving for 20yrs).

I decided to forgo the usually RWD V8 route, and try a FWD V6. A honda accord (used) was the first on my list, then I checked out the new accords (2002), and figured that for a little extra $$ a month I could get a CLS. Decent resale value and more luxury then the current domestic offerings was my primary reasons for picking the Acura CLS.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 AM

before i bought the CL i test drove a 4dr Legend 5sp. It was pretty quick but it had 80k miles, i needed something with half of that. So i drove the CL and loved it, smooth, quiet, and a big back seat for a 2 door.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:27 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our family is addicted to Hondas. Here is our lineup

- 2002 Acura CL-S
- 2002 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
- 2002 Acura MDX
- 1993 Legend Sedan
- 1995 Acura Integra LS (Sold)
- 1989 Honda Accord LX-i (Sold)
Old 03-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Masshole

I always loved Integras in college...so as soon as I got out I got one...here's my history with Acura:

1993 Integra RS
1995 Ingegra GS-R
1998 Integra GS-R
2001 CL Type S

I love them all, and I'll love my CL more after I bring it into the shop next week to take care of some annoyances.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:21 AM
CL 6 speeder

For me its because only a few manufacturers give a damn about making a good manual transmission. They are Honda/Acura, BMW and maybe Mazda (from what i have heard). The rest frankly dont give a crap. And BTW from my experience the Honda/Acura trannies are number one.
Also remember that a good shifter does not do you a damn bit of good if its not hooked up to a good tranny.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I loved the 2nd gen CL since it hit the showroom in 2000. I was kinda in a bind and couldn't afford it then but continued to do my homework on the car. Everything about it impressed me more and more until I eventually bought one. I love my CLS!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Racer

I was driving a 99 Solara when a friend purchased a 2001 gold CL-P (in Spring 2000) and called me to say that they had these "funky" colored ones on the lot. One test drive and I was hooked.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:05 PM
TL-S "Auto" Pilot

I still have an 87 Legend 4dr with 220K. We drive it around town to keep miles off the TL-S. I always wanted a Legend GS and was looking for a used one when the Type S came out. My wife wanted a TL and the Type S was a good compromise.

The 87 has been great. I have not changed a major part on the thing. Oil, ATF & brakes, that's pretty much it. It's tired now but still runs pretty decent.

The 87 sold me on Honda's but I am somewhat worried about the trans debacle with my S. Maybe an MDX in our future?
Old 03-06-2003, 01:24 PM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

Have a 93 accord... POS

Wanted a second car and was looking for something a bit sportier, and used... found my CL, test drove it, heard the VTEC... got it.

98 CL... AWESOME!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 PM
go like hell

My dad works for honda so he gets healthy discounts on Hondas/Acuras.

here's our list of Honda's we've had
-1986 Accord Lx-i(bought new )(sold with 210 thousand on orginal motor still occassionally see it my dad's work buddy uses it as his beater)
-1987 or 1988 Civic DX 5 speed(bought used)(sold)(don't know the mileage when we sold it but i thought it was near 100 k)
1988 Accord LX-i(bought used with 88,000 on it) (sold with 130,000 it was my 1st car)
2000 Honda Odysee bought new (currently has 70,000 miles on it)
my sister's 2001 CRV lx -bought new(don't know mileage)
my 94 Honda Accord ex-bought new 206 thousand.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

My dad shopped around forever to find a replacement for his Ford Taurus SHO (he loved that car, except for the fact that it was in the shop every 100 miles). We've owned all kinds of cars, from Toyota to Subaru to Ford, so it's no like we stick with a particular manufact. He was trying to decide between the CL-S and an Audi, and went with the Acura.

At that time, i could care less about cars. I admit, i liked it when he'd go WOT on the expressway and you could hear the sweet engine roar of the CL-S, but i was happy driving mom's station wagon - i was really indifferent about what i drove; so long as it was running i was happy. In fact, i prefered to drive the wagon - I couldn't STAND to drive with my dad in the car, he made me nervous as hell.

A few weeks after my dad died, i needed to go out and get some stuff at the store. Mom had the station wagon at work, so i decided to take his car. It was then that i realized how nice of a machine it was. So smooth, so fast, so nice... mmm...

Mom had wanted to sell it and buy this used WRX i had been eyeing (which wouldn't have been bad, mind you) but i convinced her to keep the CL-S - i'd pay for as much of it as i could, including insurance, if she let me keep it. She agreed. And now that i've gotten gutsier with the machine (i was afraid to use sport shift when i first started driving it on my own, heh) i love it even more.

You can take my CL-S when you pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:37 PM
What, me drive fast?

When I got out of college I need a new car. At the time I was driving a 1983 Plymouth Reliant and I got out of school in 1993. I got a job about 15 miles from my house and the 10yr old Reliant was just not ready to start some cold mornings. Then the head gasket went, and a few other things. Finally I said that I was going to buy a car after I had worked for a few months. For an entry level car, I liked the looks of the Civic over the competition. So, I bought my 1994 Civic EX. I loved that car. After another 4 years, I was ready to step up a notch and I had always loved the Prelude. So, I bought a 1998 Prelude. That car served me well except for one bad tranny. I guess the sportshift issues were just starting for Honda! The car was nice and fast and after 4 years I was at 80K miles and figured as far as trade in, that was the time to do it. So I traded it in for my 2003 CL-S!!! It was a definite case of brand loyalty. I looked at the Z (loved it but not practical and they were selling at a premium), I looked at the Accord coupe (if it had a sportshift I might have considered it), and I looked at the G35 coupe. I loved the G35 but the dealerships in my area wanted $3K over MSRP. I wasn't willing to wait but it didn't really matter after I drove the CL-S. THe car just sounded GREAT. It was faster than my Prelude and looked classier. After finding a dealership that seemed to love my Prelude as much as I did I pulled the trigger and bought the car I have now. The CL-S is such a great car...I'll come back to Honda for my next car too.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ABreece
My dad shopped around forever to find a replacement for his Ford Taurus SHO (he loved that car, except for the fact that it was in the shop every 100 miles). We've owned all kinds of cars, from Toyota to Subaru to Ford, so it's no like we stick with a particular manufact. He was trying to decide between the CL-S and an Audi, and went with the Acura.

At that time, i could care less about cars. I admit, i liked it when he'd go WOT on the expressway and you could hear the sweet engine roar of the CL-S, but i was happy driving mom's station wagon - i was really indifferent about what i drove; so long as it was running i was happy. In fact, i prefered to drive the wagon - I couldn't STAND to drive with my dad in the car, he made me nervous as hell.

A few weeks after my dad died, i needed to go out and get some stuff at the store. Mom had the station wagon at work, so i decided to take his car. It was then that i realized how nice of a machine it was. So smooth, so fast, so nice... mmm...

Mom had wanted to sell it and buy this used WRX i had been eyeing (which wouldn't have been bad, mind you) but i convinced her to keep the CL-S - i'd pay for as much of it as i could, including insurance, if she let me keep it. She agreed. And now that i've gotten gutsier with the machine (i was afraid to use sport shift when i first started driving it on my own, heh) i love it even more.

You can take my CL-S when you pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers.
That's a great story. In my opinion, the best so far. When it's time to trade, are you thinking another Acura?