Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Homelink

I'm hoping someone has a quick answer for me. I live in a gated community, but my homelink will not work with the gate. Our 2003 MDX had no problem learning the code. I even have the garage door opener programmed in both cars, and that has a rolling code (different learning process).

I tried deleting all of the previously stored codes and tried programming the first and second buttons in case one was not working.

Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
it should work, it would not surprise me if it was the same system as you mdx (and every thing for it should be up in the front roof center console)
so your personeal garage door works??? , if so you are getting power to it then, maybe try the gate with the button you use for your door then, and see if that works

i can't help much more, but i got no things to even control with the homelink , so really no experience with it(only have a carport , but at least it is covered parking and kinda heated being right next to the house)
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Missing my

Originally Posted by friesm2000
it should work, it would not surprise me if it was the same system as you mdx (and every thing for it should be up in the front roof center console)
so your personeal garage door works??? , if so you are getting power to it then, maybe try the gate with the button you use for your door then, and see if that works

i can't help much more, but i got no things to even control with the homelink , so really no experience with it(only have a carport , but at least it is covered parking and kinda heated being right next to the house)
Thanks for the response! I know you're a mechanic, so I was specifically hoping you or Rajca might be able to chime in. I'll try the garage door button and see if it works, but it's just weird. My old place had a gate, too, but my homelink worked fine for that. STRANGE!!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by tnobori1
Thanks for the response! I know you're a mechanic, so I was specifically hoping you or Rajca might be able to chime in. I'll try the garage door button and see if it works, but it's just weird. My old place had a gate, too, but my homelink worked fine for that. STRANGE!!
and your map lights work too???, cause those are off the same power wire as the homelink, but i don't think that is the problem though cause as you said your garage door works with it,

so maybe also try programing your garage door into the other buttons (that don't seem to work) to see if they still work, and if so, then i would say the homelink system is not compatable with the gate , or that you are not doing it right, but i think you have enough experence doing it though

also then maybe try programming the car right next to the gates antenna, to see if it works then, to help eliminate the possibility of a too weak of a signal (the homelink), or the possibility of poor reception (the gate side)
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
when we installed a new garage door, i had to use a diff way of reprogramming it. wasnt as simple as my old garage. i had to hit a few buttons on the garage door motor thingy then had to hit the open/close button on the remote and hold the homelink button. it was all confusing, but after a few tries it worked.

try getting a hold of a manual. or google the gate company and see what u need to do
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

and the biggest thing i am thinking is that it is more then likely poor reception by the gate,

and the mdx might just happen to have that much stronger of a signal to overcome that poor reception, so it might be able to get past the fence or whatever the antenna is behind; for the most part radio waves only work the best when it has line of sight, which the mdx might be able to get up and over the fence, since it sits higher off the ground, bushes and trees can also block radio waves too if there are enough of them
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Missing my

when we installed a new garage door, i had to use a diff way of reprogramming it. wasnt as simple as my old garage. i had to hit a few buttons on the garage door motor thingy then had to hit the open/close button on the remote and hold the homelink button. it was all confusing, but after a few tries it worked.
Yeah, that's the rolling code programming. I did have to do that for my garage door. The weird thing is that it won't work with my gate.

for the most part radio waves only work the best when it has line of sight, which the mdx might be able to get up and over the fence, since it sits higher off the ground, bushes and trees can also block radio waves too if there are enough of them
That could be it. I will try programming the garage door to the non-functional buttons and see if that works. The strange thing is that it used to work at my old place. Even if I pull all the way up to the gate it won't work. Strange.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 PM
B A N N E D

just trying to eliminate all possibilities of why it won't work
Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
there should be a button on the back of the garage door opener that you might have to press then you should have roughly 30-60secs to "pair" it with your home link, it took me some time to get mine to do it and I have a brand new garage door opener, you will probably have to mess around with it, as long as there is a signal being sent out the homelink will pick it up, you just have to make you sure its transmitting.

There might be a different button to press.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Missing my

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
there should be a button on the back of the garage door opener that you might have to press then you should have roughly 30-60secs to "pair" it with your home link, it took me some time to get mine to do it and I have a brand new garage door opener, you will probably have to mess around with it, as long as there is a signal being sent out the homelink will pick it up, you just have to make you sure its transmitting.

There might be a different button to press.
It's not the garage door I'm having problems with...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
sounds like ur missing something u did before on the MDX to get it to link with the gating system.

or maybe they upgraded it somehow without you knowing and now u cannot program ur homelink correctly anymore.

look over all the variables and start from scratch. I see no reason why it cannot work. cause it should
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If the gate is on a rolling code setup you will not be able to program the home link to work with it.
There's no way to sync it with your home link like with the garage door.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Missing my

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
If the gate is on a rolling code setup you will not be able to program the home link to work with it.
There's no way to sync it with your home link like with the garage door.
Right, but then the MDX shouldn't work either, right? It's the same model year.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
B A N N E D

as i said before it would not surprise me if it was the same system in the mdx as the cl, but it could easily be different too,

and as said i do not have a whole lot of experence with homelink systems, but i know they will not change a system like that too often (alot of $$$ to just redesign it for the sake of it), it works so why change it

and same avatar as fuzzy
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Fluke? Wipe it & try to re sync it.