High-end performance on the CL-S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 03:08 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High-end performance on the CL-S.

Namely - where is it?

I... I mean, my friend, with a car just like mine... was going about 80mph on a... highway around somewhere... and was in D5 as usual. I decided to see what the high-end acceleration was like and so I flicked it into SS and dropped to 4 while stepping on the gas more, then 3 (which kicked the revs to around 5100 and when I shifted it back up to 4 it had reached about 6000 revs.

Overall it made a lot of noise and yet throughout the whole proceedure, I felt no torque pushing me back in my seat nor any increase in acceleration.

WTF.

So much for VTEC when you're going 80 and want to go faster.

I mean in my A4 (automatic 4speed) Z28, I can drop it into 3 and rocket up to about 120 with little effort and plenty of kick.

Of course the CL-S has nice pickup when you're just finishing an onramp or offramp and you punch it. That feels great. But there's none of that at the high-end.

I'd consider headers but I don't think I'll spend enough time at the high rpm range to warrant $1100.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-18-2001, 03:12 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
I'd consider headers but I don't think I'll spend enough time at the high rpm range to warrant $1100.

-J

</font>
Lets wait and see what results Xephyr's headers give on the low end.
Old 05-18-2001, 03:17 PM
Banned

VTEC is a shot in the ass...when you hit the VTEC switchover point....it'll start making lots of hp...kinda like a turbo spooling up...and reaches its peak of 260 at 6900...you gotta keep your foot on the gas...torque is lower at that rpm range..so, you don't feel the pull as much as you feel a sensation of speeding...
Namely - where is it?

I... I mean, my friend, with a car just like mine... was going about 80mph on a... highway around somewhere... and was in D5 as usual. I decided to see what the high-end acceleration was like and so I flicked it into SS and dropped to 4 while stepping on the gas more, then 3 (which kicked the revs to around 5100 and when I shifted it back up to 4 it had reached about 6000 revs.

Overall it made a lot of noise and yet throughout the whole proceedure, I felt no torque pushing me back in my seat nor any increase in acceleration.

WTF.

I mean in my A4 (automatic 4speed) Z28, I can drop it into 3 and rocket up to about 120 with little effort and plenty of kick.

Of course the CL-S has nice pickup when you're just finishing an onramp or offramp and you punch it. That feels great. But there's none of that at the high-end.

-J

</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.
I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Old 05-18-2001, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Namely - where is it?

WTF.

-J

</font>
Hmmm....

Check my sig below -- I get to 115 in 3rd like a bat out of hell and still climb to 130 very quickly.

I'd have that MIRC checked soon.

After reading about all of the failed actuators, I even checked mine again last night...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-18-2001, 03:24 PM
Racer

I have had done just as you have described. Switched to SS and down shifted to third. However, my results are altogether different from your described results. In third I accelerated up to an indicated 115mph and shift into fourth and continue to accelerate until I backed off at 135mph. It did not take very long to get there either.

My car is #2295. This is one of the earliest made. I now have almost 33,000 miles w/o any real problems other than the sun roof noise and the off center speedo. The speedo has been corrected and the sun roof noise has been lessened. It has not totally been eliminated. To date these are the only problems that I have encountered.

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 05-18-2001, 03:27 PM
Racer

I have had done just as you have described. Switched to SS and down shifted to third. However, my results are altogether different from your described results. In third I accelerated up to an indicated 115mph and shift into fourth and continue to accelerate until I backed off at 135mph. It did not take very long to get there either.

My car is #2295. This is one of the earliest made. I now have almost 33,000 miles w/o any real problems other than the sun roof noise and the off center speedo. The speedo has been corrected and the sun roof noise has been lessened. It has not totally been eliminated. To date these are the only problems that I have encountered.

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 05-18-2001, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Try crusing at 60 in 3rd the downshift 2nd and give it WOT shift at 7000 to third keep it in Vtec through 2,3 and you'll fell the torque and accelaration!

------------------
2001 Silver Type S
Konig Toxxins 18x7.5
235/40-18 Nt555
K&N drop in
5% Lumar Tint
Razo Pedals
Old 05-18-2001, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Namely - where is it?

...so I flicked it into SS and dropped to 4 while stepping on the gas more, then 3 (which kicked the revs to around 5100 and when I shifted it back up to 4 it had reached about 6000 revs.

... I felt no torque pushing me back in my seat nor any increase in acceleration.

</font>

So, you were crusin' at about 80mph (+/-) and decided to drop into SS, and flick it down a couple times to 3 while slowly givin' it more gas, eh? Do you know that when I do that, I just stay in D5 (around 80), and just floor it -- I feel a bit of 2nd gear because the tranny drops into the high 5000 range and just jumps to redline before it shifts. And then, when in 3, you're in prime VTEC position for the way the car wants to shift most aggressively. I always feel that high rpm power at that point. I find that in SS, dropping down from 5th to 2nd or from 5th to 3rd is just a pain in the ass --> just slam the gas to the floor --> are we forgetting this car is an automatic?

And if you made it into 4th gear, I can't remember feeling ANY power in that gear or 5th --> squeeze out what ya can from 3rd.

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-18-2001, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

If your gonna drop it to 4 . NOT even worth the time IMO. just floor it. but if your gonna go to 2nd or 3rd. then use SS. 4 and 5th is for crusing. did we all forget we have 2 overdrive gears.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:45 PM
Learn to swim.

I know what you're talking about JRock, but I think it is just in comparison to your other car, a Z is quite a bit faster/torquer especially at high speeds. When I'm on the highway and leave it in D5 then floor it to pass someone or play around, many times I will get a TON of noise but not quite what I would have expected in reaction, I move for sure but I'm not pulled into my seat like I was in my Cobra.
My guess would be that you are just used to the "oommph" from those 5.7 liters. The S is "quick" but it's not "fast", -headers or not- IMO.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:05 PM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Check my sig below -- I get to 115 in 3rd like a bat out of hell and still climb to 130 very quickly.

I'd have that MIRC checked soon.

After reading about all of the failed actuators, I even checked mine again last night...

</font>
You probably didn't start at 80mph, you probably started around 60 so you got more kick.

The other posts after yours make sense to my situation - I probably should have just mashed the pedal and let the auto tranny do the shifting for me.

I'll try that next time.

And I'm 99% sure my MIRC works.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 07:51 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A lot of people don't understand the bottom line here:

THE CL-S IS NOT A SPORTS CAR!! It was designed for luxery and performance, but not for racing and as a star on the track. While the power and capabilities of the car are top notch, it is not meant to be a sports car, or compared to one....

------------------
RUVZ
01' 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps
Old 05-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ruvz:

THE CL-S IS NOT A SPORTS CAR!! It was designed for luxery and performance, but not for racing and as a star on the track. While the power and capabilities of the car are top notch, it is not meant to be a sports car, or compared to one....

</font>
Very true, but more power and speed never hurts.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ruvz:

</font>
I see the light, I'm enlightened. Is it wrong to discuss its performance nonetheless?

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S
White Diamond Pearl/Parchment
Bone Stock
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1629963&a=12459969&f=0
" TARGET=_blank>Click Here for Pics!
</A>
Old 05-19-2001, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

From JRock:

You probably didn't start at 80mph, you probably started around 60 so you got more kick.

The other posts after yours make sense to my situation - I probably should have just mashed the pedal and let the auto tranny do the shifting for me.

I'll try that next time.

And I'm 99% sure my MIRC works.

</font>
You can touch the brake and get the car back into 3rd. If you "miss" 3rd gear and take the car up to speed in 4th from 80MPH -- forget about it, the car is so far off cam, it will feel like an Greyhound Bus.

(Let's see about 73MPH in 2nd, 114MPH is 3rd, so, there should be no problem getting the car into 3rd and zooming along).

So, as far as starting at 60 -- no, I've been able to get the car back into 3rd at pretty high speeds by tapping the brake.

If MY car gets to run to redline in 3rd, I am doing an "indicated" 114MPH (our speedos are very optimistic) and 4th comes up so fast, that even my wife and friends have had no idea I was doing 130 (until I told them ).

BTW -- the lighter wheels help more than some people would expect, and the headers and CAI work quite nicely in the 5000-7000 rpm area.

BTW2 -- It is very easy to "double-tap" the SS and get it to dump into 4th from 2nd. The bloody thing is so slow (at times), that there is a temptation to tap the SS up again. When it finally engages, it is in 4th, not 3rd.
(In conclusion -- how ever you want to "judge" the situation, just make sure you get 3rd to take you to redline. The rest is semantics...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 05-19-2001, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I do find for highway driving, which I do each day for a 45min one way commute, is that just leaving it in the D4 gives me the performance that I want, If cruising around 80 and I step into it the automatic does a good job of bringing up the VTEC and staying in that range till about 110, then I SS it down to 4th if I want to push it more

------------------
_ _____________________ _
'01 Black CL S, Spoiler, Tint,Comptech Headers, Sways, Exhaust& Springs, AEM CAI w/ Bypass,Denso Iridium Plugs