HID in stock Roadlamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HID in stock Roadlamps

this thread is for people who are also curious in the HID mod into the stock roadlamps... my piaa hyper yellow roadlamp finally gave out on my drivers side..so now i have an extra hid kit laying around, hopefully ill get it in my cl-s...mrfluffy on this forum seems to have it working on his with no problems. would you care to show us how to do it along with photos? thanks!

Last edited by immauser; 03-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
all i know is that you cannout put them in without modding the housing/lenses. The heat caused by higher watt bulbs will melt it.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lawsofpower48
this thread is for people who are also curious in the HID mod into the stock roadlamps... my piaa hyper yellow roadlamp finally gave out on my drivers side..so now i have an extra hid kit laying around, hopefully ill get it in my cl-s...mrfluffy on this forum seems to have it working on his with no problems. would you care to show us how to do it along with photos? thanks!
I wouldn’t say no problems I have photos of it finished not of me doing it anyway

Ok first before I tell everyone how I did this I want to say I kind of lied when I said it didn’t melt my road lamps.

Before I was a member here I wanted to install these on my car so thought I would by a se and put them in well they were too hot and started to melt so I took them out to figure out what was melting I discovered it was the top of the road lamp witch leads me to this write up

So what you have to do is take the road lamp out once you have it out you make two large holes in the top rite over the HID is used a drill that was 2” and made the two holes this depilates 90% of the heat I would assume

Next mounting them there is a circle where the old one went and the bulb would not fit so I drilled it out a little bit so it would fit. Next the lip that is on the hid bulb should sit flush with the lip on the road lamp you take a small drill bit being very careful drill a hole through the lip in the hid into the lip in the road lamp housing and put a small screw in it to hold it then wire it up I assume every one knows ho to do this.

Caution mine did smoke a little for a day but then went away (don’t really know where it came from) also it makes a small melting mark the size of the tip of a sharpie right in the middle of the lenses

Old 03-15-2009, 07:43 PM

If you have any questions dont hesitate sorry I have no pics of install but its not really that hard only took me 20min
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
The TARDIS is my

I'd still like to see how Lippstuh did his projector ones.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Registered Abuser

thanks for the pics... a few questions... what size bulb is your hid kit? and did you just buy a plug and play so u didn't need to mod any wireings etc? thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM

thanks for the pics... a few questions... what size bulb is your hid kit? and did you just buy a plug and play so u didn't need to mod any wireings etc? thanks
H1 or H3 is the size which ever is the smallest

Wiring

simple as pie start with the passenger side cut the old wiring out you should have 3 wires on this side I forget what colour they are so I hope this is right.

2 red
1 black

attach the two red wires to the positive input on your HID kit then attach the black wire to the negitive then your done that side .

Drivers side cut the old wiring out you should have 2 wires on this side I.

1 red
1 black

attach the one red wire to the positive input on your HID kit then attach the black wire to the negitive then your done.

I wired a plug in so when I took my bumper off I could just unplug them
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by EliteDemon
I'd still like to see how Lippstuh did his projector ones.
Seems pretty simple to me

Take the road lamps out, attach a piece of plastic where the old ones were, fasten it in mark where you want the projectors, drill the hole out, then stick the projector in a secure it

Obviously this very simplfied but thats how I would do it

I to really like the projectors if I had to choose between my HIDs and his projectors im not sure which one I would do after seeing his. I wounder how they stack up against mine for lighting up the road.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ I think I'd go with the projector lights because of the melting with the HIDs
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM

They dont melt besides what I pointed out in the pic which I dont really consider melting
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered Abuser

now that you mention i need h1 or h3 which ever is smaller... i realized i have a set of h7 hid laying around... so i will need to get smaller ones :/
Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 AM

I dont even know how big H7 are compared to H1 or H3 so cant tell you for sure but I would stick with H1 or H3 to be on the safe side because like I siad mine smoked a little when I installed them ( possibly shavings from the drill) but I wouldnt want to chance any of the specs that I have installed

But on the other hand it might be totally fine
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Registered Abuser

its actually almost the same size...i compared the hid bulbs for h1, h3, and h7....not much of a difference..the hid bulbs are 35watts...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Registered Abuser

same size as u can see from these photos of all hid bulbs

Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 AM

If you look at the lip on the H7s your going to have a problem getting it to sit flush and far enough in but you could cut it or Ill show you a pic of what I mean you will get the idea once you go to install
Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Registered Abuser

yea i do see the width difference... i wouldnt mind cutting the rubber part a bit on the hids... but wouldnt it be better if it sits further away so it wouldnt be too close to the clear plastic cover?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 AM

who to say but I do believe it will melt around the hole because its not far enough in but the only way to know is to try.

this kind of thing is not an exact science but its not like it be fine and then melt right away so I would install the bulb but not the road lamp and turn it on and watch it for 10 min or so
Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So MrFluffy you got it to work...

Can you take some better pics close up of the road lamps?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Registered Abuser

yea, mrfluffy, can you take a good shot of the roadlamps without the light on..im curious as to where you drilled holes etc and how it looks exactly before i take apart my lights and start stripping wires etc...im really deciding between the accord fogs or just putting these hids in since i already have a set of h7 hids i bought for my benz.... im leaning for the faster install of course...and u mentioned you did it in like 20-30min ....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well if there is little to no melting, might be something to look into. Can we get better pics?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
B A N N E D

Risky..........
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM

I have pics of the install I will try to get better pics this weekend but your not goin to be able to see the holes

but just so you know you can pretty muck take the whole top of the fog light off and you wont see it unless your head is on the ground

and like I siad it did melt at first a little and then I rethough and redesigned it so there my lights will never look as good as if you guys doit and im tellin right now if you have the H7s put them and please do a DIY because I suck at explaining stuff and

when it comes to cars people say im at bit OCD so if I get somthing in my head like putting HIDs in I will make it work but you guys may have difficulty doing but I suggest you try it and if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them

Pics r comming this weekend earliest
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm where are you located...lol i want to do this to my car, just seeing if you happen to be close by...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered Abuser

ive decided to get the 03-05 accord coupe fog lights... today i tried the hid install, but i couldnt fit my h7's in there.... and i didnt want to cut the roadlamp covers. so i put the order in already for the accord fogs.... hope other people on here will post some pics if you get this done.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 AM

^ Oh ok...well I want to check out what it looks like when you get it Vin.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 AM
w202 on carlssons

HIDs in roadlamps will blind everyone in front of you. but, whatevs, you do what you could. hah. just my
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Registered Abuser

i use to have a prelude with hids...ive blinded sooooo many people ...specially when theyre facing directly at me... its funny, but after awhile it gets annoying bcuz everyone starts high beaming back or when you see cops you have to turn away...

noah, yea i ordered the accord fogs already, im going to try to fit them in perfectly somehow. the hids i have will not work for the roadlamps...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM

the hids in the road lamps dont blind people there pretty much pointed at the ground but they are very bright on the highway for people that are a half a car length a head of you to the side

Im probably the only one thats going to have these but Ill just be unique althougt I really wish someone would try

Im from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
B A N N E D

i used h11 and put jb weld in da back i knoe its rigged by a it wroks
Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered Abuser

wuts jb weld? and u didnt modify anything else ?? nothing melted?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM
B A N N E D

they dont melt but they do bler up nothing from dew but the heat somthing to the glass ull see the middle of da lamp its like quik steel or use silicone

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Drholiday
they dont melt but they do bler up nothing from dew but the heat somthing to the glass ull see the middle of da lamp its like quik steel or use silicone
sorry bro..dont understand what youre saying because i cant figure out what youre typing .... so youre saying they DONT melt... but "blur" up? ..then i dont get the rest of what youre typing out.... let me know tho, im interested in figuring how you got it working out... did you do any other stuff other then the "jb weld"?..

maybe someone can help me interperate what drholiday is trying to say? thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM

I have no Idea what he is saying but finaly somone else who did this Mod

What he is saying is that where they typicaly melt is around where you insert them into the actual road lamp so I think he just used a shit load of JB weld which is like glue/goop crap where the go in ( I like my way better no offence but I hate that stuff)

I think the main 2 thing you have to worry about are

Is it in securely

and is the bulb close to plastic ( how far away it has to be, I couldnt tell you)

when I siad to drill holes in the top well it seems you dont have to do this by the looks of DRH but I did to be safe
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
B A N N E D

lmao sorry bout that guys yeah they get so hott the blur upin the middle which yeah it melts a lil but i have them on all day like i have them so when turn on the side lights they turn on u knoe when u go to trun on the lights but be4 u tuen on the acutall head lights just the sides and back but if u dont ride with them on all day u shouldnt have any pribs plus im in miami hot days and the hid on all day
Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered Abuser

so you have your lights on all day and they melt only a little bit? i leave my lights on alot...i dont want them melting the plastic on the light covers
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Lawsofpower just do it youl be the envy of everyone on azine like me and DRH LOL

but seriously do it man
Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 PM

so you have your lights on all day and they melt only a little bit? i leave my lights on alot...i dont want them melting the plastic on the light covers

Mine are on all the time I work at night so I always have my lights on I wouldnt even call it melting

the only reason I callit melting is someone asked "do they melt" and I replied "yeah I guess thats what you could call it" melting
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered Abuser

lol mrfluffy.... yea im still thinkin about it , but i ordered my accord coupe fogs already..so i mite just try both...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:20 PM

lol mrfluffy.... yea im still thinkin about it , but i ordered my accord coupe fogs already..so i mite just try both...

all im saying is if you have the Hid s lying around why not try it

You can trade every week or so accord hids be a fog light whore instead of a rim whore LMAO
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Noice!

Quick Reply: HID in stock Roadlamps