Hey, the Black has Blue in it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 04:50 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, the Black has Blue in it!

Sorry if this is old news to some, but I just discovered that my new ride's paint isn't just black. In today's bright sun I could see blue metallic all over the paint. It's Black & Blue!

I was wondering why the car seemed to have a "purplish" tinge to it at sundown. I can't believe I haven't noticed this in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

On a side note... this is my first black car. I've heard many people comment how difficult they are to keep clean. Well, they're right. I gave it its first wash yesterday and today it was plainly dusty (it's parked outdoors, in a driveway). So, today I went to Autozone and bought California Dusters for the car and dash. I'm amazed by how well it worked initially.

My question is: do these dusters damage the paint?

I've done some research on these devices and the main difference between some is that the California product is paraffin based and the others are oil based. It's claimed that the paraffin based units are superior. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 03-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Hey, the Black has Blue in it!

Originally posted by Klamalama

On a side note... this is my first black car. I've heard many people comment how difficult they are to keep clean. Well, they're right. I gave it its first wash yesterday and today it was plainly dusty (it's parked outdoors, in a driveway). So, today I went to Autozone and bought California Dusters for the car and dash. I'm amazed by how well it worked initially.

My question is: do these dusters damage the paint?

I've done some research on these devices and the main difference between some is that the California product is paraffin based and the others are oil based. It's claimed that the paraffin based units are superior. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
I'm REALLY touchy about how I clean my cars, and I'd never use one of those things. Basically, it'd just take one little rock or something hard and with a sharp edge to get caught in the brush, and that's it. Scratch heaven. You're much better off just taking a hose or a quick sheepskin mit with some water to clean it up.

Maybe just a slight amount of dust would be ok, but I'd still be leary...

My $0.02...
Old 03-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Slam!

hey, i got a black CL-S, and i can see like a thousand little scratch lines in the paint when the light reflects at the right angle...is this normal, or did the dealer buff the paint protection onto the car wrong ?
Old 03-30-2002, 06:15 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal. Aegean Blue Pearl shows those too. Just Zaino and it'll all go away.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Slam!

i got another dumb question...what is zaino? i assume u can buy it at any super-trek
Old 03-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Red X

Originally posted by flipwhip
i got another dumb question...what is zaino? i assume u can buy it at any super-trek
it's a wax/polish. buy ALL the products at www.zainobros.com
Old 03-30-2002, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hey, the Black has Blue in it!

Originally posted by Klamalama
Sorry if this is old news to some, but I just discovered that my new ride's paint isn't just black. In today's bright sun I could see blue metallic all over the paint. It's Black & Blue!
hehe--I asked the dealer, "why the heck do they call it Nighthawk Black Pearl--it's just black, isn't it?" He took me out and showed me (it was night, but I could see it at the right angle).

Dang, I'm still having trouble going back and forth on black. Blue was in the running, and Shawn's looks awesome, but my kid and the dealer weren't so hot on it and cooled me too it. The only other in the running is Anthracite, and I've only seen the TL in it and it's hard to imagine how the Cl wouldn't look exactly. He's going to find a dealer with one in stock so I can get a look... My Legend is "charcoal" (metallic very dark grey), so black is a little darker, anthracite is a little lighter.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:03 AM
- daemonichris -

yah i noticed that my car had blue pearls in it after a month i got the car... so don't feel bad at all

i too have the california dusters for both the body and the dash... and after nearly 30,000 miles of using them... no scratches on the paint yet. the only scratches that i've gotten from the dusters was when there were leaves and i used the duster (i can be a dumbass sometimes)