Help from SC members..............

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Help from SC members..............

needed ASAP.

This is my problem. Last night I went to a concert in my recently SC 6spd and everthing was fine, but while driving back from a resturant about four miles away from my house I begin to hear a tac tac tac/clak clak noise which was dependent on acceleration. I was driving at normal speed 30-35MPH when it all started. I decided to pull over into the center turning lane and the noise decreased but was still present. At the time I did not check under hood because my wife was somewhat scared and told me to drive up further to a lighted parking lot by a church (about 3/4 of mile from where I stopped) but by time got to the parking lot the loud noise gradually began to decrease like if nothing happend at all.

Well I decided not stop at all since the noise stopped and decided to drive home, at home with flashlight in hand and overhead ligths I observed that the dam SC belt that runs on the alternator and SC pulley is somewhat fraid on the right side edge and with further inspection I noted that the SC belt on the alternator portion has shifted somewhat off towards the serpentine belt, which is touching, it has created some mild markings on the serpentine belt but I cant see any major damage. After all I figured out that the noise was developed from whatever piece of belt was being fraid off and it was hitting a black cable that runs near by the pull back to some box on the left hand side of the car. I can see some of the metal/wire casing on the cable due to the piece of belt hitting the cable.

My question is how could this happen? Is there something wrong with the alignment of the pullies? Was the belt to lose and skip off under acceleration? where can I get a new belt? How do I go about removing tension off the belt so that I can recenter it on the pullies itself. I cant take the chance of driving to the dealer that installed it due to its about a three hour drive.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:29 AM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I went through a few belts before everything worked ok.
the belt might be slipping off becuase it is on to loose. are you using the high boost puley? if so you should get the gatorback goodyear belt size #4040252. you should be able to pick one up at your local auto parts store. to remove tension from the belt is very easy. right behind the pulley the drives to S/C there is a black plastic tension pulley. to raise it or loosen it you have to loosen two 6mm bolts to the right of the dive pulley for the S/C. when it is loose you simply have to pull the tension pulley up to relieve tension. when you put the tension back make sure you have it on the tight enough or else the belt will slip. the whole thing should take 5 minutes.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I Heart 6 Gears.

yea check the tension.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
The belt you need is a Goodyear Gatorback #4040245 or if you have the high boost pulley you MAY need the next size up #4040252. Did you every re-tighten the belt after the install? It's best to check the tension and retighten the belt after 300-500 miles as the belt will stretch a little bit.

This happened to me as well, the belt jumped. Was your S/C'er used? If so the alignment of the pulleys may be off but I doubt it.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

No my SC was new out of the box and purchased from the Black Market (member BLK03S) and had all the parts in boxes and was never opened. From what I can see the the belt is a goodyear belt. The kit may have about 400 miles since I installed it at the dealer in Austin TX. I dont have the high boost pulley just the original kit. Question? could you all be somewhat more specific on the releasing tension and tightening of the belt tensioner. I just dont want to screw anything
Old 08-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
PM replied
Old 08-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Check to make sure the SC pulley and the cooresponding portion of the alternator pulley are alligned. Mine was not initialy and was due to a missing shim on the SC shaft.

I fixed it by adding a washer behind the SC shaft.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

you may wanna check and see if all the pulleys are working correctly. i had one of my pullies freeze up one time and it was destroying my serpentine belt. the other two pullies would spin but this one would not, and i didnt realize this until it was too late. anyways, good luck man, and i hope everything works out for ya.
luke
Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the help. I am back in business, all adjustments went well and car is running fine.