Help...Noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 10:54 AM
Gotta Get an SUV :-(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Noise in front end

I recently had two things installed. Comtech Sway bars and a Neuspeed cross brace. I now have a noise coming from my front end near the right side. It happens when I am moving around 5 miles per hour backwards and slam on the brakes or when I go over certain bumps.

It sounds like two pieces of metal hitting each other and making a clanking sound. It is not loud but noticable. I have tried to torque everything down a bit more and everything seems tight.

Is it possible that the dealer didn't install the sway bar exactly centered and something is touching (I think they forgot the plastic retaining pins) or is it more likely that the shock tower is moving from where the three bolts were released to install the neuspeed bar.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:08 AM
Racer

Since installing my front sways do make some contact and make clunking sound. I checked under car and see small clearance of sway to crossframe! Will keep checking its position and keep everything tightened. My car has also settled alot since installing Eibach springs requiring another alignment as it was way off! Now feels like new car again! Goodluck!
Old 10-23-2001, 11:13 AM
Racer

I also experience clunking from sways againist crossframe! Car has settled alot since installing Eibach springs requiring another alignment as it was way off! Now drives like new car again! I don't think your strut tower brace is the problem! I keep a close eye on clearances and keep checking to make sure everything is tight! Goodluck!
Old 10-23-2001, 04:22 PM
Racer

Read my post!!!!!!

I had the same thing just a week ago after installing springs and sways. If the noise is only happening at low speeds or during braking, it is probably the same thing as mine was. Take it to a shop unless you have a way of lifting and getting under your car(don't use a standard jack it might fall on you) and tighten the bushings on your front suspension especially the one on the bottom right near the sway bar. My mechanic looked all over because the spring was sitting perfect and the car was not making the noise during hard cornering, only when going slow. It is a horrible popping noise, I know..... Let me know if this works out for you
Old 10-23-2001, 10:32 PM
Gotta Get an SUV :-(

Tried everything. Even took off the strut brace to make sure it wasn't that. I also retorqued the end links and bushings. I guess it is off to the dealer. I hope they don't give me flack because it is an aftermarket part.

They really didn't want to put the sways on in the first place.