Help me decide: CL-S or 328Ci!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide: CL-S or 328Ci!!!!!!

Hello,
I’m fairly new here, but I’m really hoping to get some good advice and listen to it this time. This post is going to be fairly lengthy, so I will give you a summary if you are too lazy to read the whole thing:

Should I buy an Acura 3.2CL Type-S (01) or 328Ci?

Here’s the situation, I bought a 1998 Audi A4 about two years ago. I was also considering Accord Coupe, Prelude, and Lexus SC300/400. I opted for the A4 based on AWD, turbo, German, and modding potential without being rice. What I really wanted was a Supra, but I couldn’t convince my parents on that one. So I’ve spent quite a bit of money in mods and repairs over the length of my ownership (80k->95k miles). It’s been okay, but now I’m living in a dorm on-campus. I don’t have a garage or any workspace. When I have a problem, however minor, it’s into the shop, working in the parking lot (if possible), or rarely finding a friend whose apartment parking I can use -- Not very convenient.

Back when I bought the A4 I posed a similar question on some forums, and heard that the Audi could be a maintenance nightmare. It definitely hasn’t been the easiest road, and I kind of wished I would have listened to their advice rather than taking the chance. So, I’m demodding soon and getting ready to purchase something new. I had several things on my list, but was really hoping to still stay away from FWD. Sidenote: I am much more comfortable with something unique, fun to drive, and full of creature comforts than having a speed demon right now. I’m about 80% sure I’ll be getting an Automatic due to the type of driving I am now doing. The manual just isn’t practical, even if it loses some of the driving edge.

I plan on autocrossing the car occasionally. As far as mods go, I’m looking into the basics on both cars. Headlights, taillights, wheels, tires, suspension, intake, headers or exhaust. Kinda want to limit total for mods to about $3000 for used stuff. So, I’ve been set on the e46 for about a month, but I’ve kept looking. It looks like the best bang for the buck on the market right now is the Acura 3.2 CL-S. All the comforts I would want, with reliability galore (except the damn tranny). I am planning on buying in the very bottom of the market as far as pricing goes. I think I’d be happier with the BMW, but I don’t know if I can justify the cost. In three years, I plan on getting a G35 or E46 M3.

So, I’m looking for practical and realistic opinions. I know a lot of my sh*t as far as cars go, and the RWD does have its advantages, but since I’m not planning on racing competitively, what’s better? Am I going to be looking at reliability issues down the road with the Bimmer? I know about the transmission problems, and plan on having the 100,000 mile tranny warranty in case/when I need it – could be a hassle, but the rest of the car is fairly bulletproof. I would probably sell the Acura with no more than 90k miles, while the BMW might have about 130k in three years. What’s going to hold value better? Gas mileage is also a consideration.

If you haven’t figured it out, I am an 18-year old college student, lives in Texas, goes to school in Florida. Hoping most to get piece of mind on reliability. Don’t mind doing work on the car (actually kind of fun), but would like to be able to do it on my own schedule.

These are about what I plan on comparing (Note: These are not common deals, so I’m gonna be patient, please don’t flame saying I’m out of my price range and should look elsewhere, have seen these sales go through, just not everyday)

I’ve driven 330Ci Auto and manual and 328Ci manual, and a CL-S. The complaints I have on the CL-S when driving was not the torque steer as expected, but the HUGE turning radius, and lack of feeling through the steering well. I just didn't feel connected to the road like in the 3er or the A4.

2000 BMW 328Ci (or possibly 323Ci if I have to) just shy of 100k miles, SP, PP, Xenons hopefully - $13000

2001 Acura 3.2CL-S – 60k miles, possibly navigation - $10500

PS – If you have owned both, please post as much as you can as far as likes/dislikes. I have already searched some.

Thanks so much for the help
Steven
Old 11-20-2004, 11:37 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

dude are you sure about those prices??? 10500 for a cl-s wtf!!!!!!! Im sorry man i have no say on this ill wait for the big buys to come in on this one
Old 11-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

An 2001 CLS Acura with 90k miles with be worth nothing or very little, who is going to want to buy a car with knowing there on there own after 100K with the tranny, with only 10K left

100,000miles on a BMW, i just hope you have a deep pocket when something breaks, because it will be expensive.

To me if i was going to college, i would not be looking at High mileage Luxury Cars, it dont make sence. YEah i know you want to have a Nice car for college and the girls etc...

A 2000 BMW will be probably close to 6years old, theres a good chance there all the same parts since the car was new.

"I am planning on buying in the very bottom of the market as far as pricing goes"

That to me dont make sence

If you want my advice ( which you probably wont take) for piece of mind and reliability, get a car with wayyyy less miles, yeah it might not be a BMW or Merc, might not be the greatest car in the college lot.

But atleast you wont have a car you will put alot of $$$$$ into, and for your piece of mind it wont be in the shop everyweek like your A4.

Not Flaming you, or anything like that but, i dont think anyone here would agree what your trying to do ......
Old 11-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by F900
i dont think anyone here would agree what your trying to do ......

Get an accord. If you cannot spend the $$ for the car in better condition, you can't afford the upkeep.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spill7ba
I had several things on my list, but was really hoping to still stay away from FWD. I plan on autocrossing the car occasionally.
Don't get the CL-S then.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Racer

I know you prefer an automatic and creature comforts, but a used Subaru WRX sounds like a great car for you. Plus, a couple of thousand in mods will make a big difference in performance.

I agree with the above posters - a high mileage car such as a BMW will be very expensive to repair!

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You also have to conduct some soul-searching in your quest for the "right" car. Sure, the BMW ads say "the ultimate driving machine," and I would tend to agree that rear wheel drive and good weight distribution add up, on paper, to good track numbers. But throughout the years, just about every BMW owner I've come across has turned out to be a poseur, an image-conscious man-child just looking to score status points. Is this the impression you want to convey? Is this the group of peers you seek acceptance from? And is the model of car you own important to your confidence and self-worth?
But in the everyday world, for reliability, BMW is maybe three steps above Audi-VW (on the way up toward average), and anything Japanese beats anything European or American.
It sounds like you have the new car bug and that you are able to rationalize any option before you. But my take on the situation is that you should keep the Audi and save your money for routine maintenance. I wouldn't let all your knowledge and repairs on this wonderful car go wasted. It sounds like most everything should be fixed by now. Frankly, if I could choose any car without regard for reliability, it would be the Audi A4. But I like the reliability and refinement of Honda and Toyota, and If I had to start over from scratch, I'd get a four cylinder Accord four-door with a stick shift and turn it into a sleeper...
Old 11-21-2004, 05:17 PM
drop em like its hot

Originally Posted by Dave
I know you prefer an automatic and creature comforts, but a used Subaru WRX sounds like a great car for you. Plus, a couple of thousand in mods will make a big difference in performance.

I agree with the above posters - a high mileage car such as a BMW will be very expensive to repair!

Good luck.
he's concerned about upkeep and reliablity. subie's are not reliable at all, esp with some mileage on them... poor build quality.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:29 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

If upkeep is a concern, stay away from high mileage BMWs. A high-mileage CL-S is a gamble, too, with the fragile transmission. I've heard (but I might be wrong) that the replacement tranny is warranted for 36k miles even if that puts the car past 100k? If that was the case and you bought a high mileage CL-S that had recently had a tranny replaced, you would be okay. But don't quote me on this, I could be misinformed. I'm sure someone here will help me out.

I'd go Accord. I have a 99 Accord four-cylinder with leather, but it's an autoTRAGIC. It has no power, but it's practical. I had an 01 Accord EX coupe 5MT and that car was not only fun to drive and tossable, it looked great and was bulletproof reliable. Something like that would be a reliable, safe, practical choice for a college student. They can be had pretty cheap now with low mileage, too.

Edit: I also have an SSM 03 Accord EX-V6 coupe 5AT, which is where my username comes from. I'm currently looking to replace my aging 99 Accord with a newer Acura model.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spill7ba
:
2000 BMW 328Ci (or possibly 323Ci if I have to) just shy of 100k miles, SP, PP, Xenons hopefully - $13000

2001 Acura 3.2CL-S – 60k miles, possibly navigation - $10500

PS – If you have owned both, please post as much as you can as far as likes/dislikes. I have already searched some.

Thanks so much for the help
Steven

Hi I think I can answer your question. Got both those car not too long ago. I decided to keep the CL because I have spend too much time and money on it. 328CI 5 speed is fun, drive great but I am not used to RWD plus I got more money for it. Oh, I don't think you can get a 328CI for $13000 or a CL-S for $10500. Just to let you know I got $21K for my 00 328CI with 49K miles, but it had a bunch of goodies.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rezurex
he's concerned about upkeep and reliablity. subie's are not reliable at all, esp with some mileage on them... poor build quality.

Poor reliability and build quality? How do you figure? Subarus had problems 12 years ago. Now they get good reviews. No less build quality than Honda or Nissan. CLs have problems with the tranny, engine mounts, wheel bearings, SRS sensors, etc.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 AM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a 1g 2.2/2.3 w/ a 5-spd...

jk!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

if you are looking for a cl-s i have one for sale in SA texas PM me if you are interested and we can negotiate a price...

sidemarker
Old 11-23-2004, 01:43 PM
6th Gear

I say just get what you want, and be done with it!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:45 PM
2nd Gear

Actually, 1998 Lexus SC400 has started to tickle my fancy. A nice, durable daily driver for whatever car I get after I graduate (M3 or G35). Any comments on this idea?
Thanks