Old 04-11-2003, 05:39 AM
The Liquidator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont like SUVs.....But this looks cool

http://www.supercars.net/Pic?s=1&id=...ashu%20Concept
Old 04-11-2003, 08:51 AM
At least it's not Jersey

I'd break that Mazda first trip out. My breakdown for the SUV market is totally biased based on my needs. Here they are if you care to read it and as a forewarning, I don't consider vehicles like the Pilot SUVs. They're just not. They place that badge on everything now and it's just not right.

Also, I went with the V6 4Runner Limited. They finally updated the interior to match the good looks of the exterior. It's better built than my CL was and that surprising considering it's a true SUV. Not one rattle or squeak.

Land Rover: Solid off-roaders and more reliable these days than the past since Ford took them over. Ugly, their styling has remained consistent and refined over the years but it's just dated and appeals to the wine sniffing class.

Toyota SUVs: 4Runner has a long and well established history for being a true utility vehicle and the latest generation adds in excellent on-road refinement. The Sequoia is new, untested and IMO too big for some off-roading applications but I'm sure it's capable to a point. The Highlander is more of a rugged mini-van. It could handle some dirt roads but nothing much past that.

Lexus builds their SUVs off of Toyota's platforms obviously and add touch of class to them. Their service is great and customer satisfaction is high. I would never buy a Lexus only because I know what I'm going to do it. I beat on my 4Runner and would feel too guilty doing the same to a Lexus. The RX 330 is nice but again not a true SUV.

Nissan's are decent. The Pathfinder does fine but as gotten too car like recently. It doesn't sit very high and its styling has become dated. The Xterra is a beast off road in the right hands. I've yet to get mine stuck. There's nothing luxurious about it and there's not suppose to be. The interior build quality is just okay but that's what should be expected. I'm more confident off road in it than any other SUV b/c of it's abilities and you really don't mind beating on it. Scratches actually give it character.

I won't go into the domsetics b/c I don't like them one bit.

As for the off road wagons, they fill that niche for those not wanting the bulk and full abilities of an SUV but still want some of the mobility. Better fuel mileage and car-like manners make them appealing to that market. They're also just as expensive and more so than some more capable SUVs.

BWM and Mercedes have nothing but problems with their "SUVs" and aren't that capable either. Stay away unless you're looking for status.

MDX, I'd break it first trip out. It's not a SUV, it's an agile minivan.

The Volvo XC90 takes the off road minivan thing up a notch and is very capable in many aspects. But it is expensive and IMO, kinda ugly. It's another vehicle I'd feel bad about beating on.

Infinity FX45... you're kidding right. Cross-over that should stay on pavement but it's fast and good looking!

So to sum it all up, it all depends on what you're going to do, what lifestyle you lead and how much you're willing to scratch the paint. oh yeah, how much you want to spend too. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
bling me

escalade with 23s.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by amirsafdari
pilot???
no thanks

my dad wont step into a honda, he would slap me for suggesting it....i shoulda mentioned it was for my dad
It's for your Dad? You should tell him to forget an SUV and just buy a nice Audi A4 in Dolphin grey
Old 04-11-2003, 10:15 AM
whoXwanXsum

infiniti cant fade a LEXO. go lexus for 1000000000000 reasons.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Tom2
It's for your Dad? You should tell him to forget an SUV and just buy a nice Audi A4 in Dolphin grey
your funny
Old 04-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Pro

Re: Help me choose an SUV

FX 35
RX 330

those two looks pretty good..

which would u go with?

any other SUV's in the 32k-37k u.s. price range that you like?

The VW suv...when is that supposed to come out?

need something soon
Friend of mine just bought one of those Nissan Maurano (sp?). Damn! It's a sweet ride. Loads of space in the inside, seats cradle you nice, and the ride is firm but not harsh. Really cool!

If you want to spend a bit more, my neighbor bought a new H2 Hummer. Pretty sweet as well......
Old 04-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd go with the FX35. I raced one not too long ago with my CLS and he kept up pretty well. It had the sport kit with the 20" rims. I think the interior is nice and it looks great in black.

The RX330 is kinda weak. Significantly less power than the FX35, looks almost the same as the old RX300, and the rear lights are nasty IMO. Every RX I see is driven by a woman also
Old 04-12-2003, 11:19 PM
Lone CL-P Owner

get the rx330 or the fx35. your choice
Old 04-12-2003, 11:20 PM

RX 330. FX looks nice and it's sporty (which is a freaking oxymoron cause it's still a dang SUV) but the interior is another Infiniti miss. I prefer to buy whole cars. RX 330 can be had with active suspension, rear camera, HID swivel lights and other gizmos. Plus you KNOW it won't break down.

There is a reason the RX 300 was the best selling luxury SUV every year it has been sold, even in it's last year. It started the car-based SUV trend and re-leads it.

Nissan Murano is a nice looking truck but when I checked them out, the glovebox would not close.3.5 VQ is strong as usual.

I dunno, IMO, what the hell can I do with a SUV trying to be sporty? That is what cars are for.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

but the interior is another Infiniti miss
I disagree. IMO, it's one of the only Infiniti's IMO to have a very nice interior. Did you ever sit in one? It has real aluminum, very solid materials, great seats and an nice instrument cluster.

I absolutely loathe the G35/G35c interiors, but with the FX35/45, I think they finally got it right.

Plus you KNOW it won't break down
Actually, my cousin owns a 2002 RX300 with ~22,000 miles on it, and the fuel pump died recently. These are cars. They can and will have problems. Lexus is usually better in that regard, but just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean it's invincible.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:30 PM

I disagree. IMO, it's one of the only Infiniti's IMO to have a very nice interior. Did you ever sit in one? It has real aluminum, very solid materials, great seats and an nice instrument cluster
I mean, it's solid but not for a 40-50k car. It shares G35 interior bits. Yeah, I've been in them and I've driven the FX45.
Actually, my cousin owns a 2002 RX300 with ~22,000 miles on it, and the fuel pump died recently. These are cars. They can and will have problems. Lexus is usually better in that regard, but just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean it's invincible.
I did not mean literally.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:20 AM
I love my G sedan

I guess FX is more toward "sport" when RX is more toward "comfort". That's pretty much the way Infiniti and Lexus is right now. Infiniti is 70% sport with 30% comfort and luxury, when Lexus is 30% sport with 70% comfort and luxury. Haha may not be right but that's how I see it. So depends on which you prefer more.

As far as look, I would say FX is more unique, not so similar to a typical SUV, but the headlights and tailights are kind of too thin and small to me, but the overall proportion seems very sporty to me and I like it. The new RX is very close to the old one, except that the tailights look better now. I like Lexus's interior way more.

Overall, tough choice, both are very nice...... ......don't know
Old 04-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Re: Help me choose an SUV

The VW suv...when is that supposed to come out?

itīs been released out here already (iīm in spain). i wasnīt too impressed with itīs exterior looks, but thatīs just my opinion. the interior looked pretty nice and modern.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I just saw the 330 on motor trend or autoweek (one of those shows) this weekend, GOD DAMN is it hot. I'd get that in a heartbeat.