Help figuring out broken car (motor mount?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:00 AM
misanthropist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help figuring out broken car (motor mount?)

Last week I was going up a semi-steep driveway at an angle at about 5 mph and i heard something pop.

I d a bunch and thought maybe one of my end links was broken due to my lowered ride and comptech sways, cause I heard a clunking coming from underneath...

Well I got the car jacked up yesterday and everything I can see looks fine... so what would be the symptoms of a broken motor mount?

The car started creaking and clunking and has gotten continually worse to the point now that any change in direction from straight on flat road produces horrible sounds from underneath the dash/footwell area in the middle to right side...

I think typeR said that they were liquid filled, and after I heard the pop it seemed that I was leaking more fluid than normal from around the front right tire area but I was guessing that it was just extra ac runoff but I smelled the fluid and it seemed like water so it seemed normal.

so, where are the motor mounts located? are these hard to replace? should I take it to the dealer and try to get warranty work or has my aftermarket suspension screwed that chance (I am assuming yes)?

thanks in advance for the help...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Enjoy the Ride

check to see if it might be the CV boot as well...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:26 AM
misanthropist

how would i check that?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Enjoy the Ride

here's an explanation on how to do it.
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ar...p/t-45691.html
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 AM
misanthropist

yeah that is definetely not it... cv boots were fine yesterday, everything i could see and physically touch with the wheel off in the well appeared fine... and no leaking grease or messy grease anywhere, plus the car is just over one year old now, i would hope the cv boot/joints last that long
Old 08-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would notice a clunking noise because my sub-frame bolts were loose, but it doesn't sound like that, but possibly. Does it only happen at low speeds or higher speeds? Below 20mph is when I would hear the most clunking.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Honkey

I had a motor mount on my car replaced under warranty and I'm guessing my suspension mods are much more excessive than yours. However, I didn't even know my mount was gone....they just noticed it when my car was in getting a few other things looked at.

-Aaron
Old 08-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Sounds a lot like a broken sway mount. Did you also check the brackets? I doubt a broken mount on the 6 speed would do much. There is only one of the vacuum mounts in the front + 2 dampers and a large rubber mount at the rear of the engine.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
misanthropist

I hear the noise at all speeds, but mostly when the chassis is under stress of some kind, i looked all around the sways and mounts as this is what i originally thought it was, but that all looked fine...

I guess i could take it in to the dealer but I have had bad problems with them in the past one really simple stuff so I was trying to avoid it...
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Do you have an aftermarket strut tie bar? I've heard of the Neuspeed one causing a noise similar to what you are describing.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:14 AM
misanthropist

no i dont, just the ground control coilovers, koni yellows, and comptech sways

although i had the coilovers set fairly low... lower than the comptech drop, about one finger gap in the front
Old 08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just something to try or consider....

Can you bounce the car?

Can you get someone to push hard on each corner of the car to see if you get any noise from the shocks?

It was a long time ago, but one of my very old Konis was having some trouble and would make this god-awful clunk over certain bumps and the noise would “travel.”

If the car was set really low, you could possibly bottom the Koni's shaft and have some trouble there.

Check out the following:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/p...oni_shocks.asp

How far can I safely lower my car?
KONIs are designed to fit standard height cars and can work with lowered cars as long as they don't bottom out internally and become damaged. Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out. Different vehicle suspension designs have different stroke travels but a good rule of thumb is that most vehicles can be lowered acceptably about 1 1/2 inches, beyond that the possibility of bottoming increases rapidly although some longer stroke cars can go lower. Most vehicles are equipped with bump stops to keep the shocks and springs from bottoming out. When lowering a vehicle be sure to reuse your bump stops as they are cheap insurance to avoid bottoming damage. Prices for each shock.
AND

KONI Tech Line: Call 606-586-4100 or e-mail info@KONI-na.com. Technical Questions can be answered 8-5 EST M-F.

I don't know about any of this for sure .. but, it would be one more thing to check.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
misanthropist

hmm... thanks, that does sound like a strong possibility, but would it have possibly made a popping sound or busting... can't describe it... but it creaks something horrible, it does sound like its coming from the middle/right side of the car though, i guess it could reverberate through the wheel well

but now that i reread, shit i didnt reinstall the bump stops as i didnt want to cut them off of the stock shocks... i am gonna have to try pushing on the shock tomorrow, i had to garage it (not at my condo) it to get it off of the road and i havent pulled it back out yet...

once again thanks for the help
Old 08-30-2004, 10:19 AM
misanthropist

well it appears ericL was correct, pushing hard on the front right corner produces similar squeaking to what i hear while driving the car

i adjusted the coilovers to raise the car back up to a respectable level and that curbed the noise quite a bit, but I am sure that the front right shock is not functioning correctly...

it looks like i am gonna have to sell the suspension setup as I can't handle driving around on dc/nova's crappy roads with that setup and keep my spine intact (especially with a much better handling car in the garage that i couldn't replicate on the cl for any amount of $) and a lesson to install bump stops no matter what

consider it an official feeler for ground control coilovers (with or without 3 koni yellows)