HELP-brake problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:59 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP-brake problem!!!

I hope someone out there reads this and has a clue how to fix it. . .I live in NYC and keep the CL-S (auto 03) in a garage. The guys in the garage recently started telling me the brakes weren't working, but since it never happened to me, i thought they were mistaken (the car is new, 3000 miles on it.) The other day it happened to me. I pulled out of a parking spot imediately after starting the car, and when i tried to stop, the brakes were BARELY working. The brake petal was boggy and stiff and it took all my weight to push it in a few (1-2) inches and the car kinda drifted to a stop. I pulled over, waited a minute or two and they came back to life (as evidenced by pumping them and getting the petal to the floor.) I then drove it no problem the rest of the way home. Brought it to the dealer, they said it was a bubble in the brake line, flushed the system and said it was fixed. Next day, went to take the car out of the garage and knew it wasn't fixed. When i applied my foot to the brake to shift out of park, it was stiff and only depressed an inch or so with full effort. I didn't move the car, and had the garage guys leave it alone for the weekend to bring it in monday. before leaving it, i pumped the brakes for a few minutes, turned the car on and off, applied and disengaged the e-brake, nothing worked. On monday the brakes seemed a little better when i drove it to the dealer. . .they checked it all out and said nothing was wrong. . .no error codes in the computer, normal pressure in the brake lines, master cylinder checks out. . .i authorized the service manager to take the car home overnight to see if the problem will happen to him. . .if that doesn't work, they'll try the acura service hotline, but i figured i'd check here if anyone has had any similar problems. . .Thanks so much for reading this long post, and i'd so appreciate any help anyone can offer. . .

a scary problem in an otherwise sick car!

mike
Old 06-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Hi Mike,
That is indeed scary. I don't remember anyone haveing a problem like that here. You are doing the correct thing in having the dealer keep the car so as to duplicate the problem. Stay on them, if they don't come up with anything have them get in touch with the district rep. good luck..
Old 06-06-2003, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

update

they kept the car at the dealer for a week and tried it out every day. . .nothing! called the tech line . . .nothing! finally the factory rep got back to them and aparently i'm not the only one who this happens to. someone "all the way around the world" had this happen to. the remedy: replace the entire brake system. . . "soup to nuts". . .so as of next wednessday, i'll have my car back with new brakes. . .hopefully it'll stop from now on. thanks for the help and hope this helps someone else out.

mike