Help/Advice Needed - Navi issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help/Advice Needed - Navi issues

I posted a message last week about my Navigation System not working correctly. I am not on the right spot on the map, I would say approximately 50 miles off, probably more. Well I took the car in yesterday to get it looked at. Right away I was informed they cannot look into it too much or they would have to charge me because I am over warranty. So I told them to do what they could without charging me. Their diagnosis was:

------------Get new software
I have the original DVD from 2001. I don't see how this could be the problem.

------------My sub and amp
They told me that my sub and amp may have permanently damaged the NAV system and that if the software upgrade did not work that they would have to completely replace the system. This would not be cheap, and I am very pissed about this option. I have had the car for about 2 years now and I have had the sub and amp in there the whole time, so this is unlikely to be the problem.

Another thing that I noticed is that even though I am not in the right spot on the map, I am facing the right direction from what I can tell...........so maybe there is an issue with the software? Does anyone know what the pieces are to the whole NAV system? If anything it would have to be the receiver (whatever it is called) that gets the signal from the satellite. If I could just replace that, this may fix the problem. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated...........I'm not trying to spend 2k to get a whole new system, and it is very coincidental it breaks right after warranty.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Simple solution: FIND ANOTHER DEALERSHIP ! Keep us posted !
Old 08-28-2002, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know that much about it, but I know there is a LOCATION CORRECTION option in the setup... if you correct your location does it stay corrected?
Old 08-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

If the drive is reading the DVD for the road maps and the position of the car is changing while you drive, the unit is probably OK.

I believe there is a way to completely reboot the NAV and make it realign itself with the satellites.
Disconnecting the battery WON’T do it.
Check your NAV manual for this.

If it’s not in there, I’ll check the HELM manual tonight because I know I saw it.

Shawn S
Old 08-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Race Director

Ok, so you're in VA, where do the map show you being? As you know, the Navi tries to stick you on a road, is this still happening? Or does it turn and move completely independent of the roads on the map? What levels of magnification is this happening? Have you tried to change the map orientation: North up vs. Direction of Travel Up? When you touch on the red triangle, what is your present location? when the Navi speaks to you with directions, is it telling you the direction in another city? When you plot in a course, is that working? Have you tried to get another independent portable GPS unit to see if it is being adversely affected in your area, in your car, etc? Shawn is going to check Helm, there are all kinds of diagnostic stuff there.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

If I'm in the Falls Church area of VA, it says on the map that I am in the Winchester, Va area. Around Route 81. It is happening at all levels of magnification and I tried changing the orientation of the maps. When the nave speaks to me it is speaking me as if I am in that current (wrong) location. And I have not tried another GPS unit, the Acura dealer said they had never seen this issue. Thanks Shawn for looking into this. I figured there had to be some way of rebooting or re-calibrating the thing. I don't remember seeing anything in the NAV manual.