HELP: 440cc RC injectors & Emanage woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I noticed sometimes my boost gauge is indicating VAC but my methanol injection LED light turns on. That is set to turn on @ 3psi.

I don't plan on tuning the car myself. But before I get the car tuned again, I want to smooth out all these daily drivibility issues. I was tuned before but started running into CEL and drivbility issues. So I started fiddling around with the injector CF and fuel pressure to try and get the car to drive nice again. I'm going to reduce the injector CF (somewhere between 0.60 and 0.65) and set the FP to 40psi. I saw misfires @ cold starts before with this but with your tip of priming the fuel system on cold starts, I hope that problem goes away.

With the smaller injector CF, it no longer dumps fuel when I'm off throttle which is a good thing. I just have to not get that cold start misfire anymore.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sometimes there is too much information for us on what the motor is doing. such as, the afr gauge..you'll find at normal cruise the afr moves anywhere from 13.8-14.8, it does on mine anyway. that's the ecu trying to find the happy spot. I found that if i turn on my ac at cruise, everything levels out. can't explain it, something in the ecu that recogizes the ac is on and must revert to a different map, or something or perhaps it's a more constant load on the motor which levels out the afr.

point is, don't let it drive you crazy, it's not the optimum setup, but it is all we have and it does do the trick. I throw codes about once a week. i don't even bother checking them as they always come back as misfires, duh. i just pull the fuse for a minute and reset the ecu and i'm good for another week.

enjoy it for what it is and live with the rest. you have a serious performance car now that takes more work than an everyday driver. if your like me, your not easy on it. i drive mine for what it's built for and deal with the breakage that will occur later.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor

I find myself resetting the ECU every few days right now and yup, always misfire codes and I only see the CEL pop-up during cold starts. It never comes up while driving. Hmm, if there's no happy spot with this setup, I'll just deal with the cold start misfires by resetting the ECU . At least I can enjoy the car again. I havent driven it hard for months due to these issues.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Instructor

So do you still think it's even worthwhile to do a leak-down test when I change my spark plugs? I wanted to do a leak-down test thinking that I may have burned exhaust valves which is causing the misfires. I figured that when I change the plugs it would be a good time for it since the blower is out.

I think we've come to a conclusion that cold startup misfires is just a common issue with larger injectors and Emanage.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2
So do you still think it's even worthwhile to do a leak-down test when I change my spark plugs? I wanted to do a leak-down test thinking that I may have burned exhaust valves which is causing the misfires. I figured that when I change the plugs it would be a good time for it since the blower is out.

I think we've come to a conclusion that cold startup misfires is just a common issue with larger injectors and Emanage.

while the blower is out, it wouldn't hurt to do a leakdown, but i think if you had valve problems you'd have constant misfires.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Instructor

What do you think of running a lower FP (say 30psi @ idle) and increase the injector correction ratio. Reasoning behind is so the airflow output isn't as low thus will retain stock drivibility. I'm hoping this would stop the car from dumping fuel when I let off the throttle while running a higher FP and high injector correction factor. I called RC and they said high 20s to 30 will maintain an even spray for good atomization.

I'm currently running 38psi @ idle and 0.61 injector correction ratio.