Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit + HIDs = ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit + HIDs = ?

I just bought a Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit [http://tiny.cc/doxh9] to replace my factory road lamps. I would like to replace the 12V 55W H3 halogen bulbs, that come with the kit, with a 35W H3 HID kit. However, I am concerned the HIDs will melt the fog lamp's housing. The fog lamps have a magnesium housing and reflector; their dimensions are 2 5/8" H x 2 7/8" W x 5 1/2" D.

I installed a HID kit in my factory road lamp locations. Unfortunately, the HIDs melted my road lamps. I even drilled a couple holes on top of the lamps for ventilation, but it obviously didn't help dissipate heat. The factory road lamps are made for a 168 bulb application, not for halogen/HID bulbs. I think this is why my lamps melted. I am unsure how some people have successfully installed HIDs in their factory road lamps

I am aware that HID bulbs usually operate at a cooler temperature than halogen bulbs. Before I install HIDs in my new fog lamps, I want to make sure they wont melt the housing. The metal housing of my new lamps should better support HIDs than my old plastic lamps. A main concern of mine is the compact design of the new lamps; I will have my HIDs on for long durations. Do you guys think I can successfully install HIDs in my Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Carmodifier; 05-02-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
the road lamp housings are not designed for anything over 5w. fog housings such as projectors from hellla or blazer are made for halogens at 55w.

with that said hid's should not be a problem at 35w. however there are some hid kits that are poor quality and can burn off the reflective chrome coating inside of the projector or reflector housing

i have been running 3000k 35w in my micro de's for about 2 years now. i used to have a lexan cover over them to protect the outer lense but it just got dirty. the micro de lense is pretty tough to begin with though.

if you are going hid i recommend a cheaper solution which is the blazer projector. much better cut off because it is a clear lense vs the fresnel lense in the micro de
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rp_guy
the road lamp housings are not designed for anything over 5w. fog housings such as projectors from hellla or blazer are made for halogens at 55w.

with that said hid's should not be a problem at 35w. however there are some hid kits that are poor quality and can burn off the reflective chrome coating inside of the projector or reflector housing

i have been running 3000k 35w in my micro de's for about 2 years now. i used to have a lexan cover over them to protect the outer lense but it just got dirty. the micro de lense is pretty tough to begin with though.

if you are going hid i recommend a cheaper solution which is the blazer projector. much better cut off because it is a clear lense vs the fresnel lense in the micro de
What HID kit are you using with your Micro DE's? Have you had any problems with the HIDs (i.e. reflective chrome coating and/or reflector housing burning)? How is the cut off/light output?

Did you replace the Micro DE's fluted lens with a Lexan lens or did you just install a Lexan lens in front of the fog lamps?

I considered the Blazer projectors, but decided to go with the Micro DE's for their compact size. I am aware these fog lamps have a fluted lens designed for halogen bulbs. My main goal is to install HIDs with no repercussions; I am okay with a non-optimal cut off.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 164 Posts
You won't have problems. I owned both blazer and micro de. I don't have fogs on my car right now. I got plan to put my micro de back on my car. Micro de hands down for me. Blazer has clear and sharp cut off. Micro de is not as clear as blazer, but micro de has much much wider beam pattern. That's why I chose micro de. and they built them strong. Micro de is tough!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Carmodifier
What HID kit are you using with your Micro DE's? Have you had any problems with the HIDs (i.e. reflective chrome coating and/or reflector housing burning)? How is the cut off/light output?

Did you replace the Micro DE's fluted lens with a Lexan lens or did you just install a Lexan lens in front of the fog lamps?

I considered the Blazer projectors, but decided to go with the Micro DE's for their compact size. I am aware these fog lamps have a fluted lens designed for halogen bulbs. My main goal is to install HIDs with no repercussions; I am okay with a non-optimal cut off.
in mine i am using hidextra https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/, a sponsor on the forum.. no problems thus far.

cut-off is weak, but like anthracite said, beam is fairly wide. i had a lexan cover over the fogs, not replacing the actual lense. the fresnel lense is what gives the micro de its wide beam; if you replaced it with a clear lense you would have a distinct cut-off though. i'm not sure what would fit in but you just need to get the same diameter in there.

i installed mine on the bumper, drilled holes in it and should have used a bracket but the install went fine. by bumper i mean the reinforcement bar, not the bumper cover. i had to cut out a bit from the cover to get it all to fit, though. using a bracket, i probably would not have needed to cut the cover.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anthracitecl
You won't have problems. I owned both blazer and micro de. I don't have fogs on my car right now. I got plan to put my micro de back on my car. Micro de hands down for me. Blazer has clear and sharp cut off. Micro de is not as clear as blazer, but micro de has much much wider beam pattern. That's why I chose micro de. and they built them strong. Micro de is tough!
Did you keep/use the halogens or did you install a HID kit?
Originally Posted by rp_guy
in mine i am using hidextra https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10, a sponsor on the forum.. no problems thus far.

cut-off is weak, but like anthracite said, beam is fairly wide. i had a lexan cover over the fogs, not replacing the actual lense. the fresnel lense is what gives the micro de its wide beam; if you replaced it with a clear lense you would have a distinct cut-off though. i'm not sure what would fit in but you just need to get the same diameter in there.

i installed mine on the bumper, drilled holes in it and should have used a bracket but the install went fine. by bumper i mean the reinforcement bar, not the bumper cover. i had to cut out a bit from the cover to get it all to fit, though. using a bracket, i probably would not have needed to cut the cover.
I am considering going with HIDExtra. It doesn't state the wattage of their HID kits on their website; I am assuming their H3 kit is 35W...?

I am going to mount my Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit like the guy did pictured below (I forgot whose car this is; if it's yours, please chime in):

I am going to purchase the Grille4U 16"x48" universal polished stainless steel chrome finish mesh grille and re-fabricate my grille. This is the best grille mesh I could find:

When I make the cut-outs in the lower bottom left and right grilles, what should I use as a border to surround each lamp? The border needs to have about a 2.25" opening. It looks like the guy above used some kind of black rubber grommet. I am looking for something that has a reflective finish to match the polished chrome mesh. Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carmodifier
I am considering going with HIDExtra. It doesn't state the wattage of their HID kits on their website; I am assuming their H3 kit is 35W...?
I answered my own question Although their HID kit's description does not state what wattage it is, the ballast in the kit's picture displays "35W BALLAST." Now I just have to decide what color temperature to go with. I am considering either going with the 8000K (Ice Blue) or the 10000K (Diamond Blue) kit. Whatever color temp. I decide on for my fog lights, I am going to replace my D2R bulbs with the same color temp. Or, should I not match the color temps. and go with 10000K for my low beams and 8000K for my fogs (or vice versa)?