Hella Air Horn Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:45 AM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hella Air Horn Installation

I need help. I am either going with the double or triple horn, but I don't know what I have space for and how to install them. I know there a few of you out there with them so any help would be great.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:41 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help
Old 12-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been installed dual and triple air horns for about 20 years on a variety of cars and can give you some suggestions on installation.

A good place for installation is behind the front grill, but in front of the radiator. Angle one horn to the left and one to the right. You are trying to warn someone who is on the phone that you are next to them. Angling the horn so it blows in their window is what you want.

Do not wire the additional horns into your existing horn circuit!

80% of the time it will not cause a problem. But the other 10% of the time it will On my Honda Odyssey the extra load of the new air horns blew the fuse. Big deal, you say. But the blown fuse prevented me from shifting the transmission out of park. The fuse powers a solenoid that moves out of the way when you shift out of park. No power, no movement of the solenoid, and the car stayed put.

Install a fuse and power everything directly off the battery.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:34 PM
It's Go-Time.

Do you really need these horns? I've never heard them, unless they're like the ones on a semi truck or the horn they play after a Red Wing's goal??
Old 12-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Z
Racer

I have a double trumpet on my ride I put right in front of the radiator.. The best way is to remove the plastic shild that is in front of you when you pop your hood..
I have both my horns pointing down...I just removed my stock horn and connected the wires to the compressor... You can even use the the same spot to blot it on to that the stock horn was in....
good luck..........Z
Old 12-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Whether you need more sound depends on the idiots who drive around you.

I once had a Cadillac push me over two lanes when I was driving an MG. He never knew I was there - and my hand stayed on the horn and I was cursing at the top of my voice (I drove with the top down). I got my car out of his way without an accident, but he just kept coming over.

That was when I started installing extra horns.

If you find the basic horns adequate in your car (they are on my 2003 CL-S), then don't install anything else.

I have found that those who were the worse drivers before now are using cell phones - which makes them more inattentive. When I press the horn button on my Honda Odyssey, which has the basic two horns and two air horns, they realize I am there and they can't just wander across another lane without looking. It's even more fun if their window is open.

I used to work for an aerospace company that made a 30 millimeter antiaircraft cannon. I told them I would buy one if they could make it small enough to fit under the bumper of my Fiat Spyder.

Extra loud horns are the next best thing.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:43 AM
Slam!

ah, that is such a good idea. how much do they cost?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Banned

where can i get a louder horn??? id LOVE to blast some of the fuckers i see on the road that drive like shit....actually, screw the horn, anyone know how i can mount a GATLING GUN in the front of my car?? that should get there damn attention!! a few shots into the rear tires and trunk lid!!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by BLeahy
I used to work for an aerospace company that made a 30 millimeter antiaircraft cannon. I told them I would buy one if they could make it small enough to fit under the bumper of my Fiat Spyder.
lol... I would too. People drive wonderfully in LA, can't imagine I'd ever use it

-- Nihil
Old 12-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

You can purchase dual or triple air horns at any auto specialty shop. I have had disappointing luck with the air horns only lasting six months in my Odyssey. Of course, it might be that they get a lot of use by the main driver of that van.

Several people in this forum have recommended Hella Supertone electric horns, and I ordered a pair yesterday. They do cost about $61. This is twice what a set of air horns cost, but if they last longer, I will not have to replace them every six months.

Actually, it is not that hard to purchase a gattling gun. There are companies that make them today. The government should not get that excited with you purchasing one. (I'm not sure if they are classified as a machine gun, which would require a special license.)

What you really want is a minigun, which shoots 100 rounds of .30-06 ammo per second. I was an Infantry pointman in Vietnam, and used to watch it being fired at night. Every fifth round is a tracer, so it looks like a huge laser being fired down. Very impressive.

It's a big big to fit under your bumper, but would fit quite nicely into the back of a pickup truck. You could mount it to shoot over the cab of the pickup.

It would be a bit overkill for idiots on the freeway, so the government might ask you to limit each firing to maybe 50 rounds.

I recently read a wonderful article of someone who builds and fires cannon. There was a great picture of the cannon (20 feet long) mounted on a trailer and being towed behind his car. The muzzle of the cannon was pointed backwards and was level with the head of any driver behind him. He commented that no one tailgates him.
no one
Old 12-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I purchased my dual air horns from NAPA auto parts, they guarentee them... I took them off my old car and they replaced them with a brand new pair...LOL... I just did not have time to install them yet...

Smitty
Old 12-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Ain't No Other...

I recently read a wonderful article of someone who builds and fires cannon. There was a great picture of the cannon (20 feet long) mounted on a trailer and being towed behind his car. The muzzle of the cannon was pointed backwards and was level with the head of any driver behind him. He commented that no one tailgates him.
no one
Ahahahha.....
Old 12-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Banned

interesting how an incredible weapon that can pump out 100 30-06 rounds per SECOND is called a "minigun"!!! wow, thats incredibe
Old 12-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

interesting how an incredible weapon that can pump out 100 30-06 rounds per SECOND is called a "minigun"!!! wow, thats incredible.

It's quite small and portable (the ammo feed trays are a bit bulky. Arnold Schwarzeigger (sp?) carried one in Terminator II. Although it was a dummy (the firing speed was far too slow) the basic weapon probably weighs less than 100 pounds. You would never notice the extra weight if you mounted it on a pickup - or in a CL.

Calling it a minigun is just the warped sense of humor you see in the military.

The largest bomb in the U.S. Air Force arsenal weighs 10,000 pounds.

It is called a "Daisycutter." I've never had anything larger than 100 pound bombs land near me, but I can assure you that a 10,000 pound bomb will cut the daisys down.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting how an incredible weapon that can pump out 100 30-06 rounds per SECOND is called a "minigun"!!! wow, thats incredible.

It's quite small and portable (the ammo feed trays are a bit bulky. Arnold Schwarzeigger (sp?) carried one in Terminator II. Although it was a dummy (the firing speed was far too slow) the basic weapon probably weighs less than 100 pounds. You would never notice the extra weight if you mounted it on a pickup - or in a CL.

Calling it a minigun is just the warped sense of humor you see in the military.

The largest bomb in the U.S. Air Force arsenal weighs 10,000 pounds.

It is called a "Daisycutter." I've never had anything larger than 100 pound bombs land near me, but I can assure you that a 10,000 pound bomb will cut the daisys down.

Acura AC-130 Gunship perhaps? :P

The "Daisy Cutter" is actually 15,000 pounds and is dropped from a C-130. They do a nice job of clearing landing pads and other “fun things”…

A few Brits on the ground during Dessert Storm thought a NUKE had been dropped – it was a Daisy Cutter…

There are a number of electric operated Gatling Machine Guns ("miniguns") that are in service. They use a variety of ammo and come with a variety of designations and varying designs.

Mini-gun world: http://www.montysminiguns.com/RealityPage.htm

(Lots of accessories for your Acura...)

GAU -17 Mini-gun:
Old 12-19-2002, 08:14 PM
1 Phat CL !

hella is duel trumpet has a better sound than triple, WOLO is good one too. its like 30 bucks at ATV
Old 12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

If you are serious about "waking the dead" with an air horn, get an expensive and very, very loud TRUCK air horn.

Here is a possible selection if you have your own air supply or compressor:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm

152 Decibels-150 HZ

WAVE LINK: http://www.wolo-mfg.com/837.wav

More truck horns:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm

And this (this is a complete kit):

MODEL 809 / 120 Decibels-235 HZ

"The Challenger EC will give any vehicle a powerful truck horn sound with Wolo's heavy duty compressor, no tank needed. Designed for easy installation in most engine compartment's..."

WAVE: http://www.wolo-mfg.com/808.wav

See WOLO link above...
Old 12-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by EricL
Acura AC-130 Gunship perhaps? :P

The "Daisy Cutter" is actually 15,000 pounds and is dropped from a C-130. They do a nice job of clearing landing pads and other “fun things”…

A few Brits on the ground during Dessert Storm thought a NUKE had been dropped – it was a Daisy Cutter…

There are a number of electric operated Gatling Machine Guns ("miniguns") that are in service. They use a variety of ammo and come with a variety of designations and varying designs.

Mini-gun world: http://www.montysminiguns.com/RealityPage.htm

(Lots of accessories for your Acura...)

GAU -17 Mini-gun:
dude, you're scaring me... please mark your CL w/a big bullseye, gun-sights, or something so if I pass by you on the 405 I'm sure to use my turn signal.

Can't believe AC130 was mentioned and not the A-10.

PS. "Largest" bomb in current US arsenal is the B83 (1.2 Megaton yield)... the brits would know the difference between that and a daisy cutter if one was used. Hope they never do...

-- Nihil
Old 12-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Still trolling

Man, we need a redneck emoticon now to go with the one.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
You can purchase dual or triple air horns at any auto specialty shop. I have had disappointing luck with the air horns only lasting six months in my Odyssey. Of course, it might be that they get a lot of use by the main driver of that van.

Several people in this forum have recommended Hella Supertone electric horns, and I ordered a pair yesterday. They do cost about $61. This is twice what a set of air horns cost, but if they last longer, I will not have to replace them every six months.

Actually, it is not that hard to purchase a gattling gun. There are companies that make them today. The government should not get that excited with you purchasing one. (I'm not sure if they are classified as a machine gun, which would require a special license.)

What you really want is a minigun, which shoots 100 rounds of .30-06 ammo per second. I was an Infantry pointman in Vietnam, and used to watch it being fired at night. Every fifth round is a tracer, so it looks like a huge laser being fired down. Very impressive.

It's a big big to fit under your bumper, but would fit quite nicely into the back of a pickup truck. You could mount it to shoot over the cab of the pickup.

It would be a bit overkill for idiots on the freeway, so the government might ask you to limit each firing to maybe 50 rounds.

no one

how about someone starting a project like the a10 warthog, where the car is built completly arround the gun...im sure a few of you have the means and the will to pull it off (astro???)
Old 12-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nihilistan
dude, you're scaring me... please mark your CL w/a big bullseye, gun-sights, or something so if I pass by you on the 405 I'm sure to use my turn signal.

Can't believe AC130 was mentioned and not the A-10.

PS. "Largest" bomb in current US arsenal is the B83 (1.2 Megaton yield)... the brits would know the difference between that and a daisy cutter if one was used. Hope they never do...

-- Nihil
I should have mentioned biggest "conventional"/"non-nuclear" weapon in the "current inventory, but current arsenal can mean a number of different things. There is a "hedge" category of weapons that are "kept around" and can be used.

The B83 is NOT the largest thermonuclear gravity bomb in the arsenal.

"The B53 is a nine megaton gravity bomb first placed in service in 1962. Retirement of early versions began in 1967, but later versions of this bomb remained in the arsenal until 1987, when retirements were halted and retired (but still assembled) bombs were brought back into the active stockpile. The B53 can be a surface-burst but not an earth-penetrating weapon.4 It lacks complete electrical safety. There are thought to be 50 of these weapons in the stockpile..."

"The new earth-penetrating B-61 modification, the Mod 11, began entering service in January 1997 and is replacing the B-53 in active service. Under current plans the B-53 will be retained indefinitely as part of the hedge stockpile.

RE: Daisy Cutter:

"The BLU-82 combines a watery mixture of ammonium nitrate and aluminum with air, then ignites the mist for a huge explosion that incinerates everything within up to 600 yards. The shock wave can be felt miles away.

The BLU-82 uses about six times the amount of ammonium nitrate explosive that Timothy McVeigh used in the bomb that blew up the Oklahoma City federal building in 1995. "

BTW, that story, if a myth, has been reported and is documented by numerous sources. Here are a couple of them:

'...The explosion of a Daisy Cutter looks like an atomic bomb detonating. In the southwest corner of Kuwait that night, an enormous mushroom cloud flared into the dark. Sound travels for miles in the barren desert, and soon Iraqi radio nets along the border crackled with traffic. Col. Mike Samuel, Schwarzkopf’s special-operations commander, cabled a message back to the U.S. Special Operations Command headquarters in Florida: "We're not too sure how you say 'Jesus Christ' in Iraqi." A British SAS commando team on a secret reconnaissance mission near the explosion frantically radioed back to its headquarters: "Sir, the blokes have just nuked Kuwait!" '

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/manwhowasntthere/17.html

"Iraq, some British patrols reported thinking they were in a nuclear war. This reporter saw U.S. Gulf veterans cry as they recalled watching, from miles away, the deadly impact."

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1108-04.htm

I would have mentioned an A-10, but that plane was built AROUND the rotary cannon. I’m not ready to install two three-cylinder engines and a center tunnel to get a CL Type-A10 into production and the DU ammo is rather heavy…