Heavy rain/flooding tomorrow, disconnect CAI pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy rain/flooding tomorrow, disconnect CAI pipe?

hey guys, there is very heavy rain expected for north carolina tomorrow, with most likely flooding b/c everything is soaked from the snow last weekend. i have a AEM CAI without a bypass valve. i remember a mechanic friend a long time ago, saying if you need to travel through water without a bypass valve, open your hood up and disconnect the pipe from the engine. it's okay for the engine to run without the filter for a day than water in it.

is that all i need to do? do i need to move the pipe away from the engine intake? there is not much room in there. but as long as i disconnect it and there is no seal around it, it shouldn't suck in air from the AEM filter, right? i do not have time to do other things for tomorrow. thanks for the help guys
Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the air is "sucked" thru the pipe to the engine via positive pressure, but to be on th safe side, I would put a plastic bag secured very well with a heavy rubber band or some duct tape around the connector to keep any splashes that might come up the CAI, away from the throttle body... remember, a large splash under the hood could also send water into the TB, so be really careful out there....
Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
dude if ur gonna drive through THAT much water I'd be more worried about an electrical short lol
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
^yup. u have a bypass valve it will do its job. but if ur going into water that is that deep to submerge the filter, i would look into water getting inside teh car, frying the ecu, air bag module, electrical stuff thats on teh floor.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Just drive your car & don't drive through deep water bumper high.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,463 Likes on 3,057 Posts
Bypass valve ftw!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
dont drive at all.... hahahh
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
x???, with you should never be driving through water that deep to ever get the airfilter soaked

or you get this happening to your car instead
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=socal+flood

happy
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 123
hey guys, there is very heavy rain expected for north carolina tomorrow, with most likely flooding b/c everything is soaked from the snow last weekend. i have a AEM CAI without a bypass valve. i remember a mechanic friend a long time ago, saying if you need to travel through water without a bypass valve, open your hood up and disconnect the pipe from the engine. it's okay for the engine to run without the filter for a day than water in it.

is that all i need to do? do i need to move the pipe away from the engine intake? there is not much room in there. but as long as i disconnect it and there is no seal around it, it shouldn't suck in air from the AEM filter, right? i do not have time to do other things for tomorrow. thanks for the help guys
I try not to drive my car in the rain.
Only cause I haven't put the inner fenders on and I dont want to trash the new filter only.
I still would not worry about sucking in water.
If you have the inner fenders on then It will be fine unless you like driving in over a foot water.

You can pull the pipe if your concernd.
I had my off for 2 days but as soon as the engine gets hot the car loses noticable power.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Racer

thanks for the replies guys. driving in the rainstorm with 2 inches of rain went well.

i don't have a bypass valve, that's why i was asking that question. and no, i was not talking about water that comes up all the way over the bumper and you need a Jeep to go through. but cars with CAI without a bypass valve, cannot go through any water at all, whereas stock camrys, civics, prius are all passing by you through the water. I'm talking about the usual places where water collects with poor drainage (near underpasses, bridges, ditches, etc)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 123
thanks for the replies guys. driving in the rainstorm with 2 inches of rain went well.

i don't have a bypass valve, that's why i was asking that question. and no, i was not talking about water that comes up all the way over the bumper and you need a Jeep to go through. but cars with CAI without a bypass valve, cannot go through any water at all, whereas stock camrys, civics, prius are all passing by you through the water. I'm talking about the usual places where water collects with poor drainage (near underpasses, bridges, ditches, etc)
the bumper/wheelwell liner actually do a pretty damn good job of shielding the CAI from any splashes of water (you might get some on the CAI, but nothing even close to worrying about) so really the only time is when the water is deep enough to actually start submergeing the bumper, even then it would have to be like half way up the bumper to really start to get the whole filter wet (the air will just flow through the dryer part of the filter) and be at that height, you would start to get water into the doors anyways
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by friesm2000
the bumper/wheelwell liner actually do a pretty damn good job of shielding the CAI from any splashes of water (you might get some on the CAI, but nothing even close to worrying about) so really the only time is when the water is deep enough to actually start submergeing the bumper, even then it would have to be like half way up the bumper to really start to get the whole filter wet (the air will just flow through the dryer part of the filter) and be at that height, you would start to get water into the doors anyways
not really. i was in my friend's 2001 CL-S, he drove through some water that was right below bumper height and we got stuck, engine shut up, hydrolocked. he had no bypass valve. while all the other cars slowly went around us and had no problem, including "small" cars like ford focuses, etc. A CAI without a bypass valve will allow you to do almost nothing. that's why i was asking this, and disconnected the pipe as a precautionary measure.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 123
not really. i was in my friend's 2001 CL-S, he drove through some water that was right below bumper height and we got stuck, engine shut up, hydrolocked. he had no bypass valve. while all the other cars slowly went around us and had no problem, including "small" cars like ford focuses, etc. A CAI without a bypass valve will allow you to do almost nothing. that's why i was asking this, and disconnected the pipe as a precautionary measure.
It should not have not even come close to hydrolocking the motor with water just below the filter. You would have to submerge it. Getting wet wont do it. Also the Bypass valve is a joke and has caused more issues than good for many.

Also you obviously havent seen or read the other intake threads where i posted this

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/cl-s-cold-air-intake-762082/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqc6wcng_g
Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

aem had a video of thier bypass valve on an nsx and then they submerged the WHOLE air filter in a bucket of water just to show that the bypass valve works. so u will have no worries
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
glad i have the icebox
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

some things that ppl dont know is that the ice box velocity stack sits almost as low as a cai filter. BUT, BUT, the ice box has a small opening on the side of the box by the fender with a rubber flap on the inside that acts as s bypass valve. Genius idea, some smart thinking.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
It should not have not even come close to hydrolocking the motor with water just below the filter. You would have to submerge it. Getting wet wont do it. Also the Bypass valve is a joke and has caused more issues than good for many.

Also you obviously havent seen or read the other intake threads where i posted this
I've seen your video. How many times do I need to tell you? The CL without a bypass valve will hydrolock in water that other cars are able to go through just fine. That's what I'm getting at, with this recent heavy rain storm in the south.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

only if u COMPLETELY submerge the whole filter in water

ITS EASIER SUCKING IN AIR THAN LIQUID (WATER)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 123
I've seen your video. How many times do I need to tell you? The CL without a bypass valve will hydrolock in water that other cars are able to go through just fine. That's what I'm getting at, with this recent heavy rain storm in the south.
How many times do we need to tell you? The TL and CL are the same car minus 2 doors. My filter was bone dry. You WONT Hydrolock the motor from puddles splashing up (unless you are dumb enough to be driving around without fender liners and the lower splash shield your filter wont get wet). You DONT get it. Its not the CL or any car, it doesnt matter. Rain wont do it. You have to submerge the filter in water to do so. IF you are driving thru that much water in the first place you deserve to have a blown motor.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i think there will always be paranoid people, who fear for their car about hydrolocking.

seems like a big hurdle to get over.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
How many times do we need to tell you? The TL and CL are the same car minus 2 doors. My filter was bone dry. You WONT Hydrolock the motor from puddles splashing up (unless you are dumb enough to be driving around without fender liners and the lower splash shield your filter wont get wet). You DONT get it. Its not the CL or any car, it doesnt matter. Rain wont do it. You have to submerge the filter in water to do so. IF you are driving thru that much water in the first place you deserve to have a blown motor.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
but cars with CAI without a bypass valve, cannot go through any water at all, whereas stock camrys, civics, prius are all passing by you through the water.
That just isn't true. IDK where your getting this info but it's wrong.
It rains harder & faster & more in south FL for 3 months straight.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Well, who's gonna be using a bypass valve when the AEM website says its not to be used with forced induction LOL. So if your thinkin about gettin that Comptech Supercharger, don't worry about it lol.

But I heard the only way you can cause damage is if you completely submerge the filter AND you fully throttle it to have the air being sucked in. So even if you drive thru a puddle, take your foot off the gas.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by BigAl3000
Well, who's gonna be using a bypass valve when the AEM website says its not to be used with forced induction LOL. So if your thinkin about gettin that Comptech Supercharger, don't worry about it lol.

But I heard the only way you can cause damage is if you completely submerge the filter AND you fully throttle it to have the air being sucked in. So even if you drive thru a puddle, take your foot off the gas.
yes the easiest way too, but it can still happen at partial throttle, just a little bit harder too thouth, but yeah letting off the throttle will definitely help improve your chances of saving your motor (the momentum of the car will still spin the motor over, but you will be slowing down real fast though hitting that water)

and more then likely the motor will stall out before hydrolocking, unless of course you go real deep real fast, but then the car is proably already jacked by then though