Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 01:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header Install

Although I have wrenched on many other vehicles, reading through the manual for header swap requires a gasket AND bolt change, very unusual.

I understand a deformed nut being replaced, especially self-locking nut. But the manual dictates a replacement of all gaskets and nuts.

I plan on having a ‘bonding’ experience with my CL-S by installing the headers my self. I just wanted to get other views who have also done so…
Old 01-19-2001, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about not adding information. But, I (and perhaps others) would welcome your installation diary!

Perhaps:

1. What bits did you replace anyway?
2. Difficult areas to get at?
3. ??
4. ??

so on and so forth...

Good luck and don't bash any knuckles!

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-18-2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

heheh, you know I'll get a few scrapes, has to be a Sat. though. But definitely a 'diary' will be made.

Expletives will be removed. I have a bet with the dealer that I'll have it done within two hours, they claim four will be needed. BTW, I do have a large compressor with all the needed air tools. Makes it much easier.

Any ATL guys want to witness the change out?? Let me know, I would like an outside view on the time. Or if someone else was doing the same, two in one day...
Old 01-19-2001, 01:46 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scalbert:
heheh, you know I'll get a few scrapes, has to be a Sat. though. But definitely a 'diary' will be made.

Expletives will be removed. I have a bet with the dealer that I'll have it done within two hours, they claim four will be needed. BTW, I do have a large compressor with all the needed air tools. Makes it much easier.

Any ATL guys want to witness the change out?? Let me know, I would like an outside view on the time. Or if someone else was doing the same, two in one day...
</font>

To be on the safe side, you need the new gaskets and botls....

Also, having the car lifted (on a 4-point lift)is way better than working under the car.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:43 AM
Bagged hybrid

When I got my headers, I didn't change the bolts or the gaskets...but then, I got the headers with less than 200miles on my car.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S Satin Silver/Ebony
Debadged, PIAA Roadlamps, M-11 Turn signals, Comptech Headers, Comptech Springs, custom intake
Old 01-19-2001, 03:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember to have someone snap some pictures so that Soopa can put it into the FAQs section!! Good Luck!!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:40 AM
Instructor

This Saturday? I can drop by for a little bit maybe...

Directions to your place from downtown ATL?

I've got a Gtech, if you don't already have one, we can do runs if you know of a good flat stretch that's not too busy.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 01-19-2001, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by F=ma:
This Saturday? I can drop by for a little bit maybe...

Directions to your place from downtown ATL?

I've got a Gtech, if you don't already have one, we can do runs if you know of a good flat stretch that's not too busy.
</font>
Nope, they won't be in till late next week. So probably next Saturday.

Yes, I do have a GTech/Pro, and there is only one spot nearby I can make runs. Too many hills in the area... And cars, I about ran over Buff Bagwell one day getting on 575.

Drop me a note late next week and we'll see if they are in and if you want to stop by. I'll get an employee's digital camera in order to document... BTW, you'll have to drive way out to the 'burbs, w/o traffic, about 20 - 30 minutes from downtown.
Old 01-19-2001, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Steve,
Sounds fine to me, I don't mind driving out to the burbs. Maybe I'll bring my friend's GS400 so I can actually give you a run for your money...

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 01-19-2001, 04:01 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You CAN reuse your paper gaskets in needed. But I recommend changing them, at least the upper gaskets. I tried reusing mine on my hybrid and one day when I was washing the engine bay, I noticed air bubbles were coming from the seal. So I had to buy new gaskets and remove the header to put them on. So it turned out to take twice as long as it should of. But you shouldn't have to replace your bolts, I wouldn't think they are rusted/weakend yet. I reused mine and my car was 7 yrs old.
Old 01-19-2001, 04:40 PM
Racer

Not to give you additional work, but I recall putting headers on my 1969 Camaro SS 327 (a fairly simple procedure) and I also remember having to replace the pipes/mufflers for the best possible performance.

Is it prudent to put the headers on and not modify the rest of the exhuast? I know the cost would be greater, but perhaps adding a cat-back exhust would really make a big difference. Any ideas?

2001 cl-s stock silver
Old 01-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dave:
Not to give you additional work, but I recall putting headers on my 1969 Camaro SS 327 (a fairly simple procedure) and I also remember having to replace the pipes/mufflers for the best possible performance.

Is it prudent to put the headers on and not modify the rest of the exhuast? I know the cost would be greater, but perhaps adding a cat-back exhust would really make a big difference. Any ideas?

2001 cl-s stock silver
</font>

Everybody's god here Comptech. Did reasearch on the exhaust system and there really isn't much performance to be gained from it. Honda already used mandrel piping. The only thing to do is change out the muffler and that MIGHT get you 1-2hp. Now you should also change the t/b, since your doing the header but it isn't a Must.
Old 01-19-2001, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Steve, where should I send the box of band aids?
My mechanic is of small stature (small arms & hands) and he had a difficult time with the headers. Good luck!

ps: take pictures of the headers before you install them. Comptech does beautiful work!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-20-2001, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
Steve, where should I send the box of band aids?
My mechanic is of small stature (small arms & hands) and he had a difficult time with the headers. Good luck!

ps: take pictures of the headers before you install them. Comptech does beautiful work!
</font>
eheh, Geez thanks, but I will need those bandages for sure. It's been about a year since I seriously wrenched (last was pulling the S-Ported blower off my GTP which is on top of the engine and all bolts are fairly accessible).

I'm 6'1" but have slimed down a bit but still at an even 200lbs. So the warning about a tight squeeze is welcomed. I am glad I have turned a few bolts in tight spaces with scars to prove it... Any one tried to remove a plugs from a Typhoon, especially with an ATR downpipe?? Not an easy endeavor.

Kenny, you gonna be there right?? It looks like I might need a hand after all.

I have already planned on having a digital camera ready and even an employee of mine, who owns the camera. So it will be documented.