Haze on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Haze on headlights

I have this oily haze on my headlights that have been there since I bought it. It basically looks like oil. You only really notice it in the sun. When it is sunny it looks purple and green. Can't stand this. Anyone else have this problem? My list of problems with this car is gettin big. Got 7 things for them to fix. Oh and BTW damn all the rattles.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:36 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
umm... doesnt all clear plastic look like that? does too me.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:09 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
How many miles? I don't have any rattles or problems. Altho I did see the rainbow effect on the headlight lens too. It's not oil, I think it is the heat of the HID is effecting the plastic. I was surprised it would have this effect so soon. They had to know the high heat output of the HID would need heat resistant housings.
My passenger window does make some slight noises I don't like when it is lowered or raised. That's all I've noticed.

What else is wrong with your car?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by 4k my car was in for:

new rotors
new brake pads
rattling passenger visor
no original inspection done(??)
Old 06-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Ohhh O, could this be the beginning of 03 problems.. I got 6500 and no rattles, brakes or headlight problems..

hmmm... interesting.. Keep us post Meth...

Brian, it is normal... now if they fogged up that is a different story.. mine will fog if I run them for awhile and then go wash the car... no biig deal it disappears after 10 minutes.. but you don't have that problem.. right?

Smitty
Old 06-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Lone Wolf

Just so you guys know I have to get my drivers side window motor replaced because it shakes when you put the window up or down. The rubber outer seal of my passenger widow is all curled up. The rear view mirror rattles like crazy. and my dash rattles which stops if I push down on it with my hand. My stereo seems to be a different color then the rest of the dash trim. All my trim is black, except the stereo seems like a dark navy blue. Anyone else notice this on their car seems weird? Oh and btw I had an 01 Cl and the lights never had this oily look so why would the 03 have it. They shouldn't be different.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
How many miles? I don't have any rattles or problems. Altho I did see the rainbow effect on the headlight lens too. It's not oil, I think it is the heat of the HID is effecting the plastic. I was surprised it would have this effect so soon. They had to know the high heat output of the HID would need heat resistant housings.
My passenger window does make some slight noises I don't like when it is lowered or raised. That's all I've noticed.

What else is wrong with your car?

I have about 12,000 miles on my car
Old 06-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Lone Wolf

Well I brought the car in for the rainbow effect on the lights and they said they would try some "SPECIAL" cleaner. It basically did nothing, but they said they would replace them for me if I want. I looked at the new 03's in the lots and they all had it. The tls didn't have it though. I know my 01 cl didn't have it. I don't think it is because of the lights overheating it if the car is brand new with less than 10 miles on it. Guess thats iust just how it is
Old 06-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by brian6speed
Well I brought the car in for the rainbow effect on the lights and they said they would try some "SPECIAL" cleaner. It basically did nothing, but they said they would replace them for me if I want. I looked at the new 03's in the lots and they all had it. The tls didn't have it though. I know my 01 cl didn't have it. I don't think it is because of the lights overheating it if the car is brand new with less than 10 miles on it. Guess thats iust just how it is
You don't mean the tinted part of the headlights on the '03 CL-S, do you? The '03 CL-S has part of its headlights blacked out, which the '01 CL-S and the TL-S doesnt get ... Haven't checked it out up close to see if it gives an oily appearance but maybe this is what you're talking about? Sorry if I'm completely off here
Old 06-21-2003, 11:51 PM
efx
Instructor

I have noticed a haze on my 2001 under the housing above the light between the plastic and chrome. 2 sort of oval shapes about 1-3 inches wide.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Instructor

bah

Just so you guys know I have to get my drivers side window motor replaced because it shakes when you put the window up or down. The rubber outer seal of my passenger widow is all curled up. The rear view mirror rattles like crazy. and my dash rattles which stops if I push down on it with my hand. My stereo seems to be a different color then the rest of the dash trim. All my trim is black, except the stereo seems like a dark navy blue. Anyone else notice this on their car seems weird? Oh and btw I had an 01 Cl and the lights never had this oily look so why would the 03 have it. They shouldn't be different.
my drivers side window does same thing...I asked them to check it out and all they did was lube it up I think...

If it keeps up I"ll ask them to replace because I have a '94 accord that has bad window issues on dr side.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Lone Wolf

Re: bah

Originally posted by Meth
my drivers side window does same thing...I asked them to check it out and all they did was lube it up I think...

If it keeps up I"ll ask them to replace because I have a '94 accord that has bad window issues on dr side.

Meth

Dunno where you go, but I had this problem twice in my 01 and now once in my 03. Everytime I brought it in they order me a new motor and replace it. I actually like Acura service. They fix anything I complain about. Well atleast my dealer does. Just demand them to replace the motor and they should.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Beware of leakage

I have 01 CL-S and see like a haze on (what seems to be) the inside of the housing. Its look is almost equivalent to that of a "smokers film" on windows. Mine seems to be rainbow colored too.
Were you talking about the inside or outside of your lenses?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Instructor

I dont notice anything on my headlights. have you tryed to buff them with some wax? maybe that will take it off.

Anyone have an anoyying rattle in the driver side window. When my window is rolled all the way up you can hear the window rubbing on the weather stripping. ts really anoying and its right in my ear. its a hard sound to explain. its like the window moves around and rubs the stripping. the dealer has heard it but said its a caricteristic of the car. bullshit
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by Chopper
I have 01 CL-S and see like a haze on (what seems to be) the inside of the housing. Its look is almost equivalent to that of a "smokers film" on windows. Mine seems to be rainbow colored too.
Were you talking about the inside or outside of your lenses?
I am not sure if it is on the inside or outside need to take a closer look
Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by philgates
I dont notice anything on my headlights. have you tryed to buff them with some wax? maybe that will take it off.

Anyone have an anoyying rattle in the driver side window. When my window is rolled all the way up you can hear the window rubbing on the weather stripping. ts really anoying and its right in my ear. its a hard sound to explain. its like the window moves around and rubs the stripping. the dealer has heard it but said its a caricteristic of the car. bullshit
That is definately not a characteristic of the car. Just bring it in and complain until they fix it. Maybe you should try a different dealer also
Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Instructor

That is definately not a characteristic of the car. Just bring it in and complain until they fix it. Maybe you should try a different dealer also

hmm differnt dealer, thats an excelent idea. I wont get charged will I?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by philgates
hmm differnt dealer, thats an excelent idea. I wont get charged will I?
Not if your under warranty
Old 06-24-2003, 03:17 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 02 has had the haze since it was new.....its definalty inside the lens. I'm told the dealer to look at it while the car is getting it's 15k service Friday.... I let you guys know what they say.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:00 PM
What, me drive fast?

So far I have been lucky and not had any problems. I do have a squeak up around the sunroof but it doesn't bother me. All of my iterior seems to blend well...certainly no navy blue!!! My headlights look fine too.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
So far I have been lucky and not had any problems. I do have a squeak up around the sunroof but it doesn't bother me. All of my iterior seems to blend well...certainly no navy blue!!! My headlights look fine too.

It isn't really navy blue. If you look closely the stereo piece is a slightly different shade then the trim above and below it. I had them check this on another cl and tl and they both had the same thing. He was surprised I even noticed it. I am a little picky. That is the black interior dont know about the parchment.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Never noticed color diff on my parchment but I'll take a closer look later.

I've noticed 2 things with my dr side window. The first is the loud-ass whistle when driving highway speeds with window down past a certain distance...the second is the "shuddering/stuttering" when I do a full auto down.

Dealer said the sound was characteristic of char...and lubed the shuddering(even though I told them I wanted it replaced).

Norris Acura...over I'm pretty happy with the service I"ve recieved...it's more floor monkeys at the factories that I would place the blame on.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

definately no color difference here. I looked at it in the sun today to make sure. I would try another dealer.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Cruisin'

I can't believe you guys even have the time to look at things as silly and stupid as the issues mentioned above. Its not a mercedes that we are driving, some people just have way to much time.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed the "oil" haze on my headlights the other day while it was out in the sun. It doesn't seem to be a big deal so i wouldn't worry about it all that much.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

I agree, this guys a complete fussball. Who in there right mind would even care about something as stupid as "oil" on th headlight?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:57 AM

Clay Bar will help a bunch...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally posted by WhiteCL2003
I can't believe you guys even have the time to look at things as silly and stupid as the issues mentioned above. Its not a mercedes that we are driving, some people just have way to much time.
First off the headlight haze is very noticable. All you have to do is wash your car once to see it. So anyone who washes there car must have 2 much time on their hands??? Second, while I was driving my friend is the one who pointed out the color difference of the stereo not me, so I thought I'd ask. You can't really tell in the sun. Look somewhere with decent light, without the sun glaring on it, because that causes shadows and makes it hard to see. If these issues are too small for you to do anything about then why spend the time to respond. You seem always negative in all of your posts. Your first post is that you bought a cl and start bashing it right away. Why buy it then?? You change your mind that easily?