Have you gotten your letter from Honda about the PCM Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003 | 12:09 AM
efx
Instructor

Just got my letter today. On my 3rd Trans, 15,000 miles on it, 40,000 total. Seems to be running just fine at the present time. My question is what exactly can be affected by replacing the pcm and fuel pressure regulator. This is really for Jens or some who has specific knowledge on how our cars are affected. All options possible would give me a better informed decision.
Old 09-30-2003 | 05:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Well..

Originally posted by efx
Just got my letter today. On my 3rd Trans, 15,000 miles on it, 40,000 total. Seems to be running just fine at the present time. My question is what exactly can be affected by replacing the pcm and fuel pressure regulator. This is really for Jens or some who has specific knowledge on how our cars are affected. All options possible would give me a better informed decision.
Read back a couple of post, Jens has already replied. Basically it's anyones guess on what the changes the PCM have made to the power band (if any). We need someone to do a baseline before, and after dyno of hp/torque band before and after the PCM has been replaced. I am still waiting for my letter, and if I get my letter and some free time on my hands, I would be willing to do the before and after snapshot (that is unless someone beats me to it), but alas I am still waiting for the letter.
Old 09-30-2003 | 07:40 AM
Lead Footed

Folks, I don't really believe that this mod would result in a HP gain on a dyno. There are many mods that improve performance, but don't show up as a net gain on a dyno. Light wheels or better rubber are a couple.

That said, if this mod actually helps reduce power transfer loss through the tranny, then it might. But as I currently understand the shift point improvement, it simply means the shift will have less delay and that will help in power transfer response times, but not in a power increase.

So, if it is a power transfer response time improvement, your times will improve due to less time wasted between the shift points . . that typically one of the benefits of a shift kit does for auto tranny's. Firmer shifts is another, but again I don't think that is the case here. If I'm wrong then it's a double bonus for us.

Ruf
Old 09-30-2003 | 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

I think the problem is with the way it shifts. I've pointed this out before:

Note that none of this is scientific, just observation.

People who seem to drive in D4 or SS most of the time have little or no tranny trouble. But people who drive in D5 have failing trannies left and right. I used to be in D4 until i hit highway speeds, although now I use SS 100% of the time. 1st tranny, 68k miles.

If you drive in D4 vs. D5, you'll notice that the shift points are different. I think the answer is in there somewhere.
Old 09-30-2003 | 10:33 AM
'Cooter

Jens, are you "encouraged" by Acura to replace the ECU's for customers, or can we choose to not have this service performed???
Old 09-30-2003 | 11:07 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

I thought the new PCM felt weird. It actually felt like it take a little longer to down shift or less responsive. I Didn't like it that is why I swap my old PCM back.
Old 10-01-2003 | 04:17 PM
Pro

I called American Honda on this one yesterday. They put me with a case manager who called me today saying he was going to try and find some answers for me. He called me back this evening and said info was really hard to come by because all of the coding is written in Japan. After talking with several honda techs to the best of his knowledge, the "fix" was to retard engine timing briefly during shifts reducing output for a moment which would have the effect of increasing the transmission's longevity. So there you have it. Don't do it unless you can live with slightly less power during shifts. I personally have put too much into upgrades to take a step back.
Old 10-01-2003 | 04:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by flint
After talking with several honda techs to the best of his knowledge, the "fix" was to retard engine timing briefly during shifts reducing output for a moment which would have the effect of increasing the transmission's longevity.
i can totally see this being true. i had my tranny replaced once, and after that particular ecu upgrade i did get better gas mileage, but i also noticed more torque steer between shift points. my neck would snap back while the car went from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. i'd see the sense in increasing the life of the tranny by doing this new upgrade, but one can only assume that would compromise the amount of power between those particular shift points. i mean... why INCREASE the power on a historically faulty tranny....?
Old 10-01-2003 | 05:53 PM
Pro

got my notice yesterday

as much as I love this car it has been a dissappointing
experience dealing with Acura over the transmissiom issue

kind of wish I'd bought something else

next car won't be Acura/Honda

it's a shame becuase Honda pioneered the high end Japanese
car line with Acura but now they desperatley need to take a

lesson from Lexus & Infiniti

on customer service !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2003 | 07:53 PM
God
GOD Of ACURA-CL.COM

I would say let me be the ginny pig b/c i'm getting my car dynoed on the 11 up in charlotte but I'm sure as hell not going to let them put it in if its gonna make my car slower .
Old 10-11-2003 | 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Got my letter today ... i'm gunna call and ask if i don't get the pcm upgrade and fuel pressure dealie.. will it void my 7yr/100k warranty....
Old 10-13-2003 | 06:18 AM
Racer

Originally posted by ABreece

People who seem to drive in D4 or SS most of the time have little or no tranny trouble. But people who drive in D5 have failing trannies left and right. I used to be in D4 until i hit highway speeds, although now I use SS 100% of the time. 1st tranny, 68k miles.

If you drive in D4 vs. D5, you'll notice that the shift points are different. I think the answer is in there somewhere.
I Totally agree. I Always drive SS. only time im in D5 is when im eating. I drive my car everyday like im on a race track. i go through tires faster than u can imagine. yest im at 62K and im still on my first tranny!!! Comments On This?
Old 10-13-2003 | 06:21 AM
Blackbird baby..

Originally posted by ABreece

I *used* to drive in SS because of the tranny thing.. but one morning I was driving and the 2-3 shift felt/sounded like it missed! What was really strange is that there was absolutely nothing unusual about my driving; wasn't racing, temp was okay, shifted ~3500, etc. If anything the tranny may have been a little cool.. but it was still warmed up. I don't think the tranny is toasted yet (12k mi) but that missed shift put the fear into me.. I do alt #2 now--drive in D4 below 70ish MPH, then push to D5. (aka Warp Speed)

It *is* time to change the fluid tho..
Old 10-13-2003 | 06:23 AM
Blackbird baby..

Originally posted by cnatra
got my notice yesterday

as much as I love this car it has been a dissappointing
experience dealing with Acura over the transmissiom issue

kind of wish I'd bought something else

next car won't be Acura/Honda

it's a shame becuase Honda pioneered the high end Japanese
car line with Acura but now they desperatley need to take a

lesson from Lexus & Infiniti