Has anyone had any problems with their touchscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with their touchscreen?

this morning when i started my car to go to work....i touched my screen to adjust the fan for the a/c and for some reason....it didn't work...i was like wtf... ..it was like the screen didn't sense my finger touching the screen... ...i was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem or is it just me..?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:26 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I only had this problem once in my old '01 CLS. It had been sitting in the sun where the display got some direct sunlight. However, once I let the screen cool off after shading it, it worked fine. I just made sure from that point on that I used a windshield shade.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you've got it...

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
I only had this problem once in my old '01 CLS. It had been sitting in the sun where the display got some direct sunlight. However, once I let the screen cool off after shading it, it worked fine. I just made sure from that point on that I used a windshield shade.
Funny, same thing happened to me. Twice. And, it was HOT out!

Both times I used a dab of water on a MF towel to clean the display (I keep a MF towel and some bottled water in the car). And, within a minute it was working perfectly again. Based on your comments, I would expect your "heat" explanation would make sense with the water cooling down the screen (cooling by evaporation and conduction).

Interesting!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:37 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
The 01-03 CL/TL's screen uses an IR field to detect finger position. This means when it's really hot, it can't detect your body heat since everything is hot.
The new navi systems have a plastic sheet on top of the display which is what detects the finger presses, so it's not IR-dependent.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

besides being almost as sensitive as the chrome in our headlights (scratches)
alls good-
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by aznxtallxboy
this morning when i started my car to go to work....i touched my screen to adjust the fan for the a/c and for some reason....it didn't work...i was like wtf... ..it was like the screen didn't sense my finger touching the screen... ...i was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem or is it just me..?
I've had the same problem occasionally but not only on the AC screen.

I can't duplicate the problem on demand but the fact that it has only happened a couple times it hasn't bothered me.

I don't know the causes of the problem though. Could it be temperature, oils on finger, or some other factor?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jet-tek
besides being almost as sensitive as the chrome in our headlights (scratches)
alls good-

These things are very easy to scratch.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Scanning IR touch screens work by interruption. The devices have a limited max temp.

Originally Posted by einsatz
The 01-03 CL/TL's screen uses an IR field to detect finger position. This means when it's really hot, it can't detect your body heat since everything is hot.
The new navi systems have a plastic sheet on top of the display which is what detects the finger presses, so it's not IR-dependent.

I have serious doubts about your explanation. If you have more info, I'd like to see it.

Here is a link to a IR scanning display page and the surface wave, capacitive, resistive, all have operating temperature limits that will cause the sensors to either a) fail or b) stop working until the operating temperature returns to normal. The failure is probably due to exceeding its operating range temperature limit.

The 3M resistive panels have an operating limit around 50-degrees C (122-degrees F), and the capacitive are higher at 70-degrees C (158-degrees F). It can get REALLY hot in the car.

So, the question is: is the device just operating outside of the its temp range *OR* is it really looking for the heat from a fingertip. (I guess driving gloves are definitly out -- hey?)

With people being able to operate a car with the windows open in the dessert (ambient can be 120-degrees F), the contact temp of a human finger tip, depending on lots of factors, would only be around 100-degrees F. That sure seems like a feeble design.

Here is a link that might be useful:

http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~don/graphics/infra.html

The IR technology is the only technology that does not overlay the display with an additional screen or screen sandwich. An array of infrared (IR) light emitting diode (LED)/photodetector pairs are mounted in a plastic frame. Using the IR spectrum allows ambient light to be filtered out and makes possible the use of opaque (to the visible spectrum) plastic frames to hide the photo devices. Thus, the array frame simply looks like a bezel. In operation, the LED/photodetector array is continuously and sequentially scanned horizontally and then vertically When an operator touches the display breaking one or more of the light beams, the X-Y position of the touch stylus is transmitted to the host computer. The maximum resolution using an interpolation technique is approximately double the number of LED/photodetector pairs in the array. Using interpolation, when an odd number of beams is broken along either axis, the X or Y coordinate of the center beam is transmitted, but when an even number of beams is broken, the coordinates of the interpolated beam are calculated and transmitted to the host computer.

Advantages

Best image quality as there is no overlay
Impervious to scratching
Activates with gloved or ungloved finger and any stylus that is large enough to break IR light beam (typically > 5 mm)
Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't know much about the screen on our navi, but when i face my V1 towards my screen, my laser detector goes off, sensing some type of IR field. if that means anything.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Suzuka Master

You have confirmed that there are IR emitters.

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Don't know much about the screen on our navi, but when i face my V1 towards my screen, my laser detector goes off, sensing some type of IR field. if that means anything.
There are different wavelengths of IR (see below).

The unit is a IR scanning display. The idea is to set up a matrix of IR emitters and IR detectors (the picture shows the details). When you interrupt the beams at a given point, you get the X-position and Y-position where your finger has pushed. If you know x and y, you know exactly where you are pressing.

If your V1 goes off, there are IR emitters, and it is a standard IR scanning display (as I've described above). So, you are basically confirming that the unit does have emitters. If it didn't, your laser detector would NOT go off.

If the unit was passive, your V1 would not give a "false" laser detector reading. I get mine to "bark" by bringing out any of my IR remote controls and shining them on the V1's IR window.

There are other myriad difficulties with a passive design…

Finally, there are different kinds of IR. Near IR, mid IR, and far IR. The IR you see from buildings, humans, etc is of a different wavelength then the IR wavelength that is typically used for IR-emitters (used by laser guns, IR remotes, and IR scanning displays) and IR-detectors (generally PIN diodes with a lens/filter).

If you take a typical IR detector, it won't notice the body heat of a finger, arm, whatever. It's wavelength is around They make specialized IR detectors that are used for those lights you typically see that turn on when they sense a persons (or animals) body heat.

I believe the above is what causes some confusion to people when “IR” is used…
Old 06-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Racer

hMm.....my car wasn't even hot when the problem occured...it was parked in the garage...nice and cool.....
Old 06-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Suzuka Master

hMm.....my car wasn't even hot when the problem occured...it was parked in the garage...nice and cool.....
Is you display nice and clean? (I'm talking dust free with minimal finger prints.)

See if it repeats again after you clean it.

I've only had the problem in the heat. That doesn't mean that other factors couldn't be involved.

I have been "bothered" by sloppy behavior when the screen was dirty, dusty, and/or had too many finger prints on it. It always seems to "shape-up" when it gets a gentle -- but effective -- cleaning. (Clean water and MF towel [DAMP MF TOWEL] is what I use to make mine happy.)

I don't recall it happening, but the design uses detectors. As such, and even with IR filtering, a noisy light source or a very bright light source could "swamp" the IR receivers (pin diodes, etc.) Where there any florescent lights or other non-incandescent light sources? And, finally, the sun itself has plenty of IR in its spectrum (I’m not suggesting that it’s noisy).

Here is something that may be of interest:

LINK: http://www.3mtouchmatters.com/e_article000047339.cfm

With IR technology, miniature transmitters are located around the perimeter of the mounting bezel. These transmitters emit IR light beams from top to bottom and right to left. IR light receivers are located on the opposite sides. When an object, such as a finger or stylus, interrupts this beam, the X and Y coordinates are detected.

IR touch screens provide good clarity and allow the use of gloved hands. In addition, they can meet ratings for NEMA 12/4 and Class I/II, Division 1/2 with purging. However, they may not suitable for direct washdown, and can be activated by debris falling on the display surface.
Comment:

Heat can cause the operating temps to get high enough on the display electronics to mess-up the signal-to-noise of the detectors. They are not very happy in high temps.

Dirt and debris just add to the "effective noise." It's kind of like a kind of electrical clutter. The screen has to allow for some dust and junk, but if you have enough crud around, you wouldn't want the unit to "auto select" items for you. So, if an engineer was designing the device, and had to make a choice, what would be better: Having the unit be "unresponsive" when presented with "clutter" (in the form of crud or other problems) or just start generating false finger presses?

The paragraph above is based on other designs and is only my opinion.

YMMV
Old 06-18-2004, 05:19 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I did some searches trying to figure out where it was I read it. I couldn't find it but if I do I'll post it. Your explanation of the problem being the IR field electronics being outside the operating temp makes definite sense and may have been how what I read was originally intended to be interpreted - ie I may have misunderstood the "heat messes the IR field up" concept as "heat makes your finger invisible to IR field".
I do know the newer Acura systems have dropped the IR field for the additional layer in front of the display to detect touches since the TSX and TL both have the extra layer.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EricL
I have serious doubts about your explanation. If you have more info, I'd like to see it.

Here is a link to a IR scanning display page and the surface wave, capacitive, resistive, all have operating temperature limits that will cause the sensors to either a) fail or b) stop working until the operating temperature returns to normal. The failure is probably due to exceeding its operating range temperature limit.

The 3M resistive panels have an operating limit around 50-degrees C (122-degrees F), and the capacitive are higher at 70-degrees C (158-degrees F). It can get REALLY hot in the car.

So, the question is: is the device just operating outside of the its temp range *OR* is it really looking for the heat from a fingertip. (I guess driving gloves are definitly out -- hey?)

With people being able to operate a car with the windows open in the dessert (ambient can be 120-degrees F), the contact temp of a human finger tip, depending on lots of factors, would only be around 100-degrees F. That sure seems like a feeble design.

Here is a link that might be useful:

http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~don/graphics/infra.html

we have the LEDs as u can see in this pic of my screen, nut not the phototransistors

Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Racer

is there any way to repair the scratches or do you have to get a whole new screen?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rbf351
we have the LEDs as u can see in this pic of my screen, nut not the phototransistors

I see some old style LEDs and/or PIN diodes (photo detectors). They both have two leads – in the non-surface mount versions – and they both look nearly identical.

I've already tried operating the unit with the end of a thin piece of cardboard, a plastic stylus from my graphics table, and they all make it work perfectly. IOW, it isn't detecting body heat (long-wave IR).

ARE you suggesting that the 5 LEDs or photodiodes that are clear and to the right of the TFT panel are the "guts" of the system (IOW, that all the active IR electronics used for the display consist of the clear two-lead non-surface-mount devices to the right)? All the units I'm aware of use an emitter and detector in an array *and* the service manual suggests the same thing. (The manual says beams. They do make combined emitter/detectors that fit in a single package, but...)

If you emit IR, but have not device to detect it, how does it work -- hey?

Here is the blurb from the 2001 CL/CLS service manual (AKA HELMS):

Page 22-313:

Display Unit
The display unit uses liquid crystal display (LCD). The LCD is a six-inch-wide, Thin Film Transistor (TFT), stripe type with 280,800 picture elements. The color film and florescent light are laid out on the back of the liquid crystal film. The touch sensor on the front of the LCD is an infrared type with ten vertical and seven horizontal infrared rays to produce 70 sensing points. The display unit transmits the signal from each operation key and the touch switches to the navigation unit.
Have a look at the U-shaped metal channel with little slots in it at the top of the picture. It sure looks to have TEN openings -- hey? The designations start with "C" (e.g. Cxxx) and normally are used to notate caps. But, what are the ten holes for?

You would generally want the emitters and detectors as close as possible to enhance signal fidelity.

Do you mind having a closer look at the channels?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

is there any way to repair the scratches or do you have to get a whole new screen?

I don't know for sure. The answer – and fix -- probably depends on how deep they are...
Old 06-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by einsatz
I did some searches trying to figure out where it was I read it. I couldn't find it but if I do I'll post it. Your explanation of the problem being the IR field electronics being outside the operating temp makes definite sense and may have been how what I read was originally intended to be interpreted - ie I may have misunderstood the "heat messes the IR field up" concept as "heat makes your finger invisible to IR field".
I do know the newer Acura systems have dropped the IR field for the additional layer in front of the display to detect touches since the TSX and TL both have the extra layer.

There are some comments "around" on how it is better to move away from IR touch screens. I ran into this in regards to avionics.

I even tried a few objects just to see if someone is making "top secret" parts for Alpine. Cold objects (cardboard, stylus, even the corner of the thin users' manual got mine to work today).

Do you know what type of technology is used in the new one (Capacitive, resistive, surface wave, etc.)?