Has anyone with 2nd Gen. CL Type S Done Gauge LED Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM
03 CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone with 2nd Gen. CL Type S Done Gauge LED Conversion?

ok... the topic kinda says everything but let me give some moe details...

I order the led gauge kit from http://ledautomotive.com/OrderInfo/99-03TL/

and it seem like its only compatable with non-type s CL?? because the bulbs they gave me is shit bigger than the stock bulbs so it wont fit the socket... has any 1 sucessfully done this conversion that has a TYPE S... please help me out because i have already ruin 1 gauge cluster already... and it cost me 200$ for a new 1 but im attempting to try again with this new gauge..
Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The bulbs that they send you ARE too big. They are #168 bulbs, which are the size that fits in the map lights. The bulbs that are supposed to go into the gauge cluster are #74, which are much smaller, about half the size. You need to shave down the sides of the wedge on the bulb to be the size of the #74 bulbs.

If you don't have a dremel or something comparable, you'll have a very difficult time doing this. Once you have the bulbs shaved down, you'll need to take the whole cluster apart, removing the gauge faces (these instructions are on the ledautomotive.com website). Now, take the incandesant bulbs out, and twist the sockets back into the cluster. Get your shaved down LED bulbs and push them into each socket so they are nice and tight. MAKE SURE NONE OF THE LEADS FROM THE BULBS ARE TOUCHING ANY PART OF THE CLUSTER, ONLY THE BULB HOLDER. If any current looped through the cluster, it WILL it, so be careful.

Now, get back into your car and hook the left most connector back to the cluster (this is still w/o the gauge faces in place). Turn you light switch ON, and make sure all the bulbs light up. If one doesn't light up, turn the light switch off and adjust the bulb untill all of them light up. And once again, make sure none of the leads from the bulbs are in contact with anything other than the socket holder.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Gauges I don't know, but there regular bulb replacments(map light door lights etc) are very dim. I bought them from this place(white ones) & they just sucked. The regular bulbs were so much brighter.
I got some LED's from another online place, www.superbrightleds.com & these were a ton better. Very bright & functional.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:40 PM

I know the bulbs from ledautomotive.com are the same bulbs you can get from superbrightleds.com for quite a bit cheaper.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
The ones I got were a lot brighter. They did look the same, but they weren't anywhere near as dim.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I've seen people on the forum did LED bulb swapping before but I never seen a nice result yet. I saw a guy on here that did it and there were hot spots at certain speed area.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:29 AM
03 CL-S

the bulb i got from http://ledautomotive.com/ are already shaved but its still wont fit my socket for some reason... and im afraid to try something stupid bcuz i might destroy this 2nd gauge cluster too...

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
The bulbs that they send you ARE too big. They are #168 bulbs, which are the size that fits in the map lights. The bulbs that are supposed to go into the gauge cluster are #74, which are much smaller, about half the size. You need to shave down the sides of the wedge on the bulb to be the size of the #74 bulbs.

If you don't have a dremel or something comparable, you'll have a very difficult time doing this. Once you have the bulbs shaved down, you'll need to take the whole cluster apart, removing the gauge faces (these instructions are on the ledautomotive.com website). Now, take the incandesant bulbs out, and twist the sockets back into the cluster. Get your shaved down LED bulbs and push them into each socket so they are nice and tight. MAKE SURE NONE OF THE LEADS FROM THE BULBS ARE TOUCHING ANY PART OF THE CLUSTER, ONLY THE BULB HOLDER. If any current looped through the cluster, it WILL it, so be careful.

Now, get back into your car and hook the left most connector back to the cluster (this is still w/o the gauge faces in place). Turn you light switch ON, and make sure all the bulbs light up. If one doesn't light up, turn the light switch off and adjust the bulb untill all of them light up. And once again, make sure none of the leads from the bulbs are in contact with anything other than the socket holder.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by truexh
the bulb i got from http://ledautomotive.com/ are already shaved but its still wont fit my socket for some reason... and im afraid to try something stupid bcuz i might destroy this 2nd gauge cluster too...

You've got to shave them down more so they are the same size as the bulb on the right in the first pic. The bulb on the left is how they come in the mail (already shaved down) but they are still too big to fit into the socket. Just pull the wires out of the way and shave the plastic down even more and compare them with the original bulb. Get it as close to the same size as you can, then wrap the wires back around the base of the bulb. Oh, and it helps if you have small hands, because these bulbs are pretty small, and those wires are a bit tricky. Using some needle nose pliers work pretty good when doing this also, gives you more control.