Handling Issues. Don't be steered wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling Issues. Don't be steered wrong.

Unofficially it seems that springs, anti-sways and non-stock tires are the most popular modification for improved handling performance. And those fortunate enough to have gone further by installing either improved brake components, shocks, coilovers, upper and lower tie bars, better rims or any combination of these will hopefully weigh in with their insights.

With the welcome influx of most new members there may be some (and not all newbies) who are close to pulling the trigger on handling modifications. To this end I think it could make decisions easier for many if, (and possibly $$$ saving), those who have done any handling mods, provide any info both positive or negative about their modified rides. This could perhaps then be used as a kind of unofficial but informed CHOD-FAQ.

I am most keen to hear the views of those who have had brake, shock or coilover changes. ESPECIALLY ANY COMBO OF THESE COMPONENTS.

As for myself since I've only had springs, sways and rims installed my comments are somewhat limited. Yet thats never stopped me before.

Comptech springs and anti-sways with immediate wheel alignment. Installed @ dealship12/00.
  • Most significant change is huge improvement in cornering. (truly flat).
  • Aggressive raked look. (and I luv it that way thankya)
    Caution:Careful when parking head-in to high curbs. Headlights should be adjusted higher after spring install. (its easy)
  • While my left rear wheel was off by .1 I have had absolutely no issues concerning uneven tire wear after more than 11000 miles with the springs.
  • Anti-sways: If I was forced to decide on having only one component it would be these. (Happily these have deleted the cars boaty ride)
  • Noticeably lighter steering feel.
  • Definite firmer ride. This was no longer noticed after 2 days and the car is still very quiet and rattlefree (knocking fauxwood).
  • Total cost. Parts:about $600. Labor:about $290

Thank you and please help.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:42 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading the Anti Sways and Springs without Summer and Wider tires is a mistake.... That will few people in trouble... the stock tiire are unsafe when the mod Type-S is pushed hard.....
Old 10-25-2001, 11:49 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree Nasha, I installed the Comptec sways and still have the SCREAMING OEM's and it is very dangerous. Now I am just confused between Michilen sports, $200.00 plus ea. or Toyo's !
Old 10-25-2001, 12:10 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Koni makes the Yellow Adjustables for your car, then I HIGHLY recommend them!

They are great for allowing a decently comfortable ride for the week day, but then allowing you to turn up the stiffness for a little weekend autocross action, or some spirited mountain side driving.

Lifetime warranty too!
Old 10-25-2001, 12:17 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fabvsix
I agree Nasha, I installed the Comptec sways and still have the SCREAMING OEM's and it is very dangerous. Now I am just confused between Michilen sports, $200.00 plus ea. or Toyo's !
Fab, i got the Toyos for $160 each and they are awesome ! With the $160 you save you've got more than half needed to buy the mystery mod !!