GTECH Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTECH Accuracy?

How accurate are the GTECH readings? How does it work? As far as I know it just plugs into the cigarette lighter, right?

------------------
2001 CL-S
Satin Silver
Comptech Springs, Filter, Headers
Old 01-09-2001, 01:31 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eman:
How accurate are the GTECH readings? How does it work? As far as I know it just plugs into the cigarette lighter, right?

</font>
One guy posted his Gtech numbers and those of the time slips of the track. he was not impressed with the accuracy. I guess the Gtech is just a gizmo of the geeks who lack the interset to go the track.

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories.
Old 01-09-2001, 04:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Don't forget that the GTECH says that it measure's 1/4 mile trap speed at the exact 1/4 mile point vs. the track's average between 2 points.

For 0-60 and 1/4 mile accel figures, it doesn't start until it senses the vehicle moving. At the track, if your slow off the line, that time is counted against you. (You could wait a full second before moving and the GTECH wouldn't count that in a 0-60. Do that in a race, and your dead meat).

One of the guys who posted his 1/4's via the photo link had a reaction time of .7secs. The GTECH is NOT going to include that. The GTECH is going to be off by at least that much.

The latest version has a funky mount.
In my opinion, it is hard to keep it calibrated/zeroed-out at .00g. There is some play in the mount.

What is it good for:

Tracking engine changes, tire changes, mods, etc. It is very good from tracking changes.

Finally, If the unit is not lined up perfectly straight, there is a vector offset that will upset the reading.

Would I buy mine again -- you bet! (I still have 20 days to return it -- so I would if I thought it was junk.)

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 05:25 AM
Cruisin'

umm.. reaction time is NOT added into your time at the track. I've had a 1.7 R/T and still pulled a 14.4 does this mean I ran a 12.7? The G-tech is usually off between 1 and 3 tenths and the mile per hour is usually high by at least 3 miles per hour. It's a good tool for tuning but if you want to brag about your times go to the track.
Old 01-09-2001, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BIGNASTY:
umm.. reaction time is NOT added into your time at the track. I've had a 1.7 R/T and still pulled a 14.4 does this mean I ran a 12.7? The G-tech is usually off between 1 and 3 tenths and the mile per hour is usually high by at least 3 miles per hour. It's a good tool for tuning but if you want to brag about your times go to the track.</font>
I think there is some confusion. Your run at the track is based on the Green light.

If you sit there for 10 seconds, are you telling me that your are going to win against the other driver that got a "holeshot".

Come on, you've got to be kidding. If you think that I meant that someone says, ".. Hold on folks, we are waiting to calculate the reaction time to figure out the winner" -- no way.

Next time you are at the track *or* watch drag racing on ESPN/Speedvision let me know if they give the win to the driver who doesn't cross the 1/4 mile line first (barring a "Foul start"). I probably shouldn't have used the NRA "Reaction time as relates to Amber to Green (yes, your correct). However, different people, depending on fast twitch muscles, genetics, etc have a finite lag between an optical or aural input and an actual motor action ( reaction time). If you are at the track, you WILL get a penalty for slow reflexes, the GTECH doesn't care!

So, I'm talking about "Human reaction time" -- the amount of time to get moving. The GTech is using an accelerometer, so it knows when your moving. If a green light goes off or someone says go, that is generally the time someone measures. Human reaction time depends on a lot of genetic issues. There is also the car's inertial time -- the time it takes for it to get moving. (I'm not even going to get into the car's inertia)

So, in a way the GTECH removes the person from the loop *and* will give very accurate and repeatable data on the hp/torque/speeds relative to one change to another (This assumes that the temperature, humidity, road/track surface, and altitude all stay the same.)

Finally, as so stated in the GTECH manual (or FAQ) the GTECH gives higher 1/4 mile speeds. (yep, I think they said by 2-3 miles/hour, but then again that depends on the change in speed (delta V) through the traps. The GTECH gives the vehicle speed at the exact instant it hits the 1/4 mile distance.

Anyone who wants to find out -- go to the GTECH site and judge for themselves.
Old 01-09-2001, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW -- Big nasty. Good track "Reaction times" are around .5 seconds. The human body is around .2 to .3. If you are taking 1.7 seconds of reaction time, you need an EMG or a nerve conduction study.

Just my opinion. (Come on -- your the Beat All Non CLS Man. Get those medical exams and we will see you on ESPN soon).
Old 01-09-2001, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You're basing your opinion on someone elses experience with the gtech?
If you'll read the thread closely sometimes the gtech was right on sometimes it wasn't. If used correctly the Gtech will be accurate.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
One guy posted his Gtech numbers and those of the time slips of the track. he was not impressed with the accuracy. I guess the Gtech is just a gizmo of the geeks who lack the interset to go the track.

</font>
------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 05:52 PM
Advanced

If you guys are talking about my track/gtech thread, I'll just say I haven't used it since that day at the track. You may be right that if you use it right it will read right, but the system is set up so that there are alot of things that you can screw up and make the reading inaccurate. In that respect it is a pain. I will probably use it to take readings before and after I install the AEM CAI and then I'll probably sell it.

Like someone said eariler, track slips don't lie, the gtech might

------------------
South Jersey: 2001 Acura CL-s Gold with navi/spoiler/splashguards/V1/w/cdu
stock 1/4 mile 14.698sec@95.91mph
Atco Raceway 12/1/00