Greddy Headers are for real!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:47 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greddy Headers are for real!!!

I emailed them yesterday. The headers would be on the market early next year. Yeah, baby.......

Here is the quote:

Hi,
I have heard that you are planning on developing stainless steel headers for the V6 Acura 2001 CL-S. Is that true? When it would be available for the public? Are there any figures for the performance gains and cost?
Thanks.

Here is the reply:

Thanks for your interest in GReddy Products
We have completed our prototypes and we expect to have the systems available early next year, but we do not have any specifics at this time to release.
Please keep in touch with your favorite Authorized Greddy dealer for more updates. http://greddy.com/dealers/
Old 12-05-2001, 01:09 PM
car wash addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweeeeeet...

praying for a price decrease
Old 12-05-2001, 01:15 PM
Banned

Until they produce dynos.....they are inferior to Comptech....

Now for a real question.....if they offer similar gains as Comptech and cost the same...what are you going to buy?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:16 PM
Instructor

niceeee, how much do u guys think it'll be? I was just on the greddy website and it seems like they are about $489 for every car. Would ours be around the same price??? Thats like 50% cheaper than the comptech ones... hehe can i get 2???? haha jk.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:21 PM
The Slim Member

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Until they produce dynos.....they are inferior to Comptech....

Now for a real question.....if they offer similar gains as Comptech and cost the same...what are you going to buy?
If the dyno results and price are the same, I will buy the Comptech b/c of their reputation. My Greddy stainless stell exhaust was freaking rusting on my civic,. Hopefully the Greddy is cheaper.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:25 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by CL Type Slim

If the dyno results and price are the same, I will buy the Comptech b/c of their reputation. My Greddy stainless stell exhaust was freaking rusting on my civic,. Hopefully the Greddy is cheaper.
YEha but what if cheaper=rusting headers
Old 12-05-2001, 01:30 PM
The Slim Member

Originally posted by HellaWhat

YEha but what if cheaper=rusting headers
Major Dope!!! I guess it depends how much cheaper but I don't think it will be that much cheaper. Probably I will go with the Comptech!
Old 12-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I do not think that Greddy would be naive to make a V6 headers and price it same as CompTech. They would have to price it around $850 MSRP to sell well. Also, Warpseed would get theirs at that price point.

Also, a lot of CL-S/TL-S and Accord V6 are holding on buying new headers due to cost only!

And What if non-comptech headers would gain 20-25 HP all accross the board? would it better than comptech's with only gains in the last 1.5k rpms ( 5500 to 6800 ) maxing at 32HP
Old 12-05-2001, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
I do not think that Greddy would be naive to make a V6 headers and price it same as CompTech. They would have to price it around $850 MSRP to sell well. Also, Warpseed would get theirs at that price point.

Also, a lot of CL-S/TL-S and Accord V6 are holding on buying new headers due to cost only!

And What if non-comptech headers would gain 20-25 HP all accross the board? would it better than comptech's with only gains in the last 1.5k rpms ( 5500 to 6800 ) maxing at 32HP
True...but you know what!?! Those gains aren't going to happen across the board...headers tend to lose at the bottom and gain as more exhaust is expelled....if you can find headers that do that...I'll definitely buy it...because it is all about the sum...not just one point..

New question....would you buy the Greddy at $850....if they had 10 less hp gain than the Comptech?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:43 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

DOn't be too naive yourself... If I were Greddy and I knew just as you stated... "Also, a lot of CL-S/TL-S and Accord V6 are holding on buying new headers due to cost only!" then I would be more inclined to price my headers only marginally cheaper than comptechs and NOT SUBSTANTIALLY. The same goes for Warpspeed... Why u ask? Well look at it this way. We all know the rumors flying around... We know that Greddy and Warpspeed COULD be making headers. IT's been how long since the 01 CLS was out, what nearly 2 years now? Admit that if there aren't gonna be headers in the next 6 months, there is gonna be NO ONE ELSE MAKING THEM. Greddy knows this and if they make them, price them near comptech's prices they know that the consumer will see there will be no one else making headers and are still gonna be stuck between Comptech, and if it ever materializes, Greddy and Warpspeed. They will charge JUST AS MUCH AS COMPTECH.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

At just +15HP I would better off buy the RES, right?

Also, plus the Unorthodocs Pulleys and some Irdium plugs could equate a better value?

It is all about value for your dollars.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:29 PM
Banned

At just +15HP I would better off buy the RES, right?

Also, plus the Unorthodocs Pulleys and some Irdium plugs could equate a better value?

It is all about value for your dollars.
Very true....bang for the buck is an issue...but at some point...you cannot gain anymore without taking a hit on the price to power ratio....and if the RES is what it is...it will have no problem selling off the shelves.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:18 PM
Instructor

maybe someone should tell this to DC SPORTS. Then they will also make headers for our cars. With all this competition, the prices for our headers are bound to go down. i heard that DC SPORTS ceramic coated headers are good stuff too!
Old 12-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Banned

Ceramic coat are shit...there is a reason that stainless steel are better...probably because they don't melt or warp.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:12 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by lenjiay
maybe someone should tell this to DC SPORTS. Then they will also make headers for our cars. With all this competition, the prices for our headers are bound to go down. i heard that DC SPORTS ceramic coated headers are good stuff too!
Theres something I think a lot of you are too naive to beleive. The demand for products for our cars isn't inelastic, contrary to what a lot of you may believe. This isn't a Civic nor is it an Integra nor is it a Supra. Demand for aftermarket mods for thsoe cars are SKY HIGH compared to the CL/CLS. Figure that the distrbution ratio for Premium Vs. TypeS is 60-40. Also, figure of the 40% TypeS owners only about 2000 are here and how many aren't as well as how many are still unsold and still on the lots?? You are dreaming if you think more than 3 players will be in the headers market, just crazy ppl... No one wants to create a product, invest money in R&D, test and have the little itty biddy demand that we CL owners are offering. There are such people out there as Market Researchers and as much as I hate what they've decided I can see their logic...

This is the sad truth. Not only are we the owners of a bastard child car from Acura, we are the bastard children that get no decent aftermarket mods.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:31 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by HellaWhat

Theres something I think a lot of you are too naive to beleive. The demand for products for our cars isn't inelastic, contrary to what a lot of you may believe. This isn't a Civic nor is it an Integra nor is it a Supra. Demand for aftermarket mods for thsoe cars are SKY HIGH compared to the CL/CLS. Figure that the distrbution ratio for Premium Vs. TypeS is 60-40. Also, figure of the 40% TypeS owners only about 2000 are here and how many aren't as well as how many are still unsold and still on the lots?? You are dreaming if you think more than 3 players will be in the headers market, just crazy ppl... No one wants to create a product, invest money in R&D, test and have the little itty biddy demand that we CL owners are offering. There are such people out there as Market Researchers and as much as I hate what they've decided I can see their logic...

This is the sad truth. Not only are we the owners of a bastard child car from Acura, we are the bastard children that get no decent aftermarket mods.
It's not so crazy to think other companies might make V6 headers that work considering they will fit CL, CLS, TL, TLS and, oh yeah, HONDA ACCORD! I wonder what the toral market would be compared to some of the 4 bangers when all of these models are taken into account.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

OMG JZ, you took the words right out of my mouth.

LIke JZ said our headers fit the accords!!! If this isn't a good enought reason to make headers I dont' know what is.

Accords+TL's + CL's = shit load of cars.

yayaya143- there is no way v6 headers will coast around 489. those prices are for 4 cyl which are less piping. thus cheaper.

HellaWhat- acutally the comptechs are kinda rusty after a while. or atleast rusty color.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
OMG JZ, you took the words right out of my mouth.

LIke JZ said our headers fit the accords!!! If this isn't a good enought reason to make headers I dont' know what is.

Accords+TL's + CL's = shit load of cars.

yayaya143- there is no way v6 headers will coast around 489. those prices are for 4 cyl which are less piping. thus cheaper.

HellaWhat- acutally the comptechs are kinda rusty after a while. or atleast rusty color.
What he is saying is that even with the Accord v6 market...which is maybe 20% of total Accord sales...and maybe 5%-10% of those mod it, which is 1-2% of total Accord sales, using 98 stats...they sold 300,000 and let's assume that has held for the last 3-4 years...so, a grand total of maybe 12,000-24,000 Accords...of which how many already have headers??? Or are really into performance on a family sedan....you don't have a huge market, relatively...the people who tend to mod their cars have sticks..which are 4 cylinders....
BTW, the color is not rust...the material is stainless steel and thus rustproof...what you see is the heat discoloration of the headers..which is very normal, due to the amount of heat it must handle constantly.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:57 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

20,000 to 30,000 client base is not small.

A sale of 3500 headers a year at $750 each is 2.6 Million a year in sales. Assume a net profit of $250 /header that almost $875K in profits a year.

But if they would sell only 1000 a unit they still keep some 250k in profits.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:03 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Another reason you don't see tons of companies making V6 headers is probably because it takes a lot more time and money to design an aftermarket header that fits and makes power compared to the typical i4 headers.

i4 headers only have a single flange that connects to the engine block, V6 headers have 2.

i4 headers only have to worry about clearance on one side of the engine, V6 headers have to fit on both sides of the engine.