GPS radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
GPS radar detector?

I know a lot of you are die hard V1 fans but does anyone have this Uniden? It says it even gives directions and stuff. Anyone know any more about it. Heres the link to it
Thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears to be a one of their normal radar detectors, that has a GPS built into to it. It doesn't sould like there is any connection between the GPS and Radar parts of the device. If you're looking for the best in radar go with V1, if you're looking for GPS look to Garmin, etc. YMMV
Old 01-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Race Director

I think this new concept will allow you to pinpoint known false alarms and therefore your radar detector will be able to filter out false alarms by GPS coordinates. An excellent concept...too bad it's wasted on a Uniden. If the V1 gets it, you'll see my current V1 on eBay and the new V1 in my CLS within hours.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:19 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I can't see it being at all accurate without an externally mounted antenna. I wonder how much detection circuitry got cut to accommodate that novelty?
Old 01-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
So do you think i should wait to buy one until the V1 gets the GPS thing and will the V1 ever get it? The GPS sounds like a cool concept and I was thinking about buying a V1 until i saw this because my current $100 whistler sucks (i know it was only 100 bucks but...)I like the little things on the Uniden one like the built in compass stuff because i am always lost and the ad said something about giving directions which i doubt but still.

Next car is def. having navi
Old 01-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 1StGenCL
So do you think i should wait to buy one until the V1 gets the GPS thing and will the V1 ever get it? The GPS sounds like a cool concept and I was thinking about buying a V1 until i saw this because my current $100 whistler sucks (i know it was only 100 bucks but...)I like the little things on the Uniden one like the built in compass stuff because i am always lost and the ad said something about giving directions which i doubt but still.

Next car is def. having navi
I would go ahead and buy a V1 today. It will have plenty of worth (to sell on eBay) when you get ready to get the next gen V1 which may or may not have this GPS technology.

Until you get the Navi, probably should invest in a used Garmin GPS like was mentioned earlier, perhaps a GPS III or III+.

I'm sure this Uniden GPS is as accurate as any commercial, civilian GPS device can be. You would be surprised how well these things perform without external antennas.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:27 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Originally posted by kensteele
I'm sure this Uniden GPS is as accurate as any commercial, civilian GPS device can be. You would be surprised how well these things perform without external antennas.
Ken Steele making assumptions?!?! I would never have believed it until I seen it!
Old 01-02-2002, 04:37 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I just found this surfing around the web.

Note: this site is not confirmed to be reliable. Just one site doing a test.

http://www.radar.co.nz/nz/report1.html

We have just completed the first tests of the latest, new, top of the line UNIDEN GPSRD. This new UNIDEN is due for release before Christmas. We have just completed both field and lab testing of this space age looking radar/laser+GPS unit. This GPSRD Uniden although looking very high tech, with it's satellite receiver on top, is definitely low tech in the performance area. Not since 1982 have we tested a detector with such low radar performance.
Looks like one small step for technology, one giant step back for consumers.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Neech

Ken Steele making assumptions?!?! I would never have believed it until I seen it!
I made the assumption because whenever people compare GPS devices, the accuracy is never a matter of comparison. Precision maybe; but not accuracy. If it is, it's a matter of feet. No one ever says these GPS devices are more accurate than those, etc. Comparisons have been done on other factors and I would suppose the Uniden doesn't handle those other factors (what it does with GPS) that well.

Even cheapo GPS devices tend to come pretty close to your coordinates, remember the satellites are all the same for everyone. How hard is it to pickup the data transmitted from these satellites? Is there a GPS expert in the house?

This is where I get all my GPS info from.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:10 PM
Advanced

I've got this idea for the longest time, finally someone is inplementing it! THANK YOU! yeah... too bad it's a uniden, if only V1 has it....

Originally posted by kensteele
I think this new concept will allow you to pinpoint known false alarms and therefore your radar detector will be able to filter out false alarms by GPS coordinates. An excellent concept...too bad it's wasted on a Uniden. If the V1 gets it, you'll see my current V1 on eBay and the new V1 in my CLS within hours.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:04 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Originally posted by Chung S
I've got this idea for the longest time, finally someone is inplementing it! THANK YOU! yeah... too bad it's a uniden, if only V1 has it....
I'd be happy to have an unlimited number of "markers" I could use in the Navi to mark traps (or false alarms) as I encounter them. Then have it alert me when I approach it again. That would be ideal, you could use it with any detector.