Gotta get rid of the CL-S....which ocar should i get know??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 11:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta get rid of the CL-S....which ocar should i get know??

Well my lil friends.... it was nice having the car and picking up chicks and stuffin it but due to the big car payments/insurance and the down sizing of government means that i will no longer be able to live that elegant/sporty life style. i will be turning the keys over to my uncle where he will be taking over the payments and driving my baby for the rest of his life. so heres my question, i'm undecided about my next car ....should i get a 1999 eclipse GS-T turbo, a 2000 prelude or a 2000 V-6 accord coupe??? and why....why that car that you choose...."turbos rule!" or "stick with honda dude!!". thanxs
Old 04-26-2001, 12:01 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the Prelude.

But I like the Accord Coupe too.

Accord coupe might be too soft though.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Valentine 1
Old 04-26-2001, 12:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'd go with the 2k Prelude if you can afford it. Although it doesn't have a 6 cylinder, it's a great handling car and it's damn near bulletproof.

It's a great buy in the sub-25k market.
Old 04-26-2001, 12:05 AM
w.t.f., mate?

If you get the Accord V6 then you might feel really sentimental about the CL-S since the cars are relatively similar...

Sorry to hear the news btw.

------------------
_-Phil-_!
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~
Old 04-26-2001, 12:11 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about the news but stay in the family, man.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Soon to be Modded
Old 04-26-2001, 12:41 AM
Instructor

If you want cheap speed, get the GS-T. As we all know (and if you dont YOu better ask somebody) DSMs are one of the cheapests cars to make really fast. I dont know about reliability, however youd run into that kinda problem on any used Turbo car

-defrag

ps: if it was me, Id get the GS-T
Old 04-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Instructor

actually, if You could find a GSX. that would be even better =) AWD and Turbo.

-defrag
Old 04-26-2001, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Get a 2000 prelude....those cars are sweet. They are pretty quick (considering the size of the engine), have handling that would make our Type-S jealous, and look very nice.

I actually came to the dealership to buy a 2001 prelude. The Honda and acura dealership where about 10ft. away from each other...even their dealers sold each other's cars. My friend, the dealer was showing me the prelude when the Type-S drove into the lot. I had to have a test drive. Thus.....I signed the paperwork 30min later.

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (2" Drop)
AEM Cold Air Intake

[This message has been edited by mishka420 (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old 04-26-2001, 01:08 AM
Drifting

I like the VW Golf GTI VR6

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 04-26-2001, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

I had a 97 GSX before I gave it to my brother. Great car. Fast...easy to make faster. he's got 60K on it with no problems. Plus it looks the best.

------------------
93 RX7 R1 don't feel like listing all mods
98 5.9 limited Grand Cherokee K&N gen 2 FIPK
2001 CL-S (w/nav) girlfriends but its as good as mine
Old 04-26-2001, 02:15 AM
Instructor

The Mitsubishi is a great car, and their turbo motors are very reliable (and easy to mod). I had an AWD Talon Tsi (same as Eclipse GSX) and loved it. Never had a lick of trouble with it in 3 years and 60000 miles.

My current ride (for sale, I might add) is a 98 Mitsubishi Spyder GS-T 5-speed. Really quick car. Stock is 210hp, but 250 is only a few psi of boost away. There are a number of electronics and exhaust options to really make the motor scream. Nothing wails like an intercooled turbo boosted to the max. :-)

Can't really go wrong with the prelude either. It handles like it's on rails.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:27 AM
Pro

the only reason why i wouldn't get a mit's is becuz my mom had a mirage(auto) and that Sh*t was weak...engine wise and tranny too! kastegir, did you stick with the stock turbo or did you change it to a aftermarket one??

they dyno tested a prelude before and after a turbo install and the numbers were impressive! like 140 hp @ the wheels befo' and after the turbo install like 250-something @ the wheels! of course we're talking about another 3-4 g's for the turbo.

The accord i like because i consider it in the same family as the cl. elegant! and with 200 horses, leather, a body kit, dropped w/ rims... it'll be clean.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My last car was a GSX, you can make those things realllly fast and chicks love the car (just like batman). Sorry to hear the bad news, hope things pick up and don't leave the family here!

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-26-2001, 11:50 AM
KISS MY

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dyno_CL-S:
Well my lil friends.... it was nice having the car and picking up chicks and stuffin it but due to the big car payments/insurance and the down sizing of government means that i will no longer be able to live that elegant/sporty life style. i will be turning the keys over to my uncle where he will be taking over the payments and driving my baby for the rest of his life. so heres my question, i'm undecided about my next car ....should i get a 1999 eclipse GS-T turbo, a 2000 prelude or a 2000 V-6 accord coupe??? and why....why that car that you choose...."turbos rule!" or "stick with honda dude!!". thanxs </font>
If you can't afford the car get a civic.. the others are expensive to fix...

------------------
01- Acura CL silver 3.2-s
20% tint 35%front window
Bose Mods.. Mod's to come headers and springs
Old 04-26-2001, 12:50 PM
Banned

I'm selling my M3

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dyno_CL-S:
Well my lil friends.... it was nice having the car and picking up chicks and stuffin it but due to the big car payments/insurance and the down sizing of government means that i will no longer be able to live that elegant/sporty life style. i will be turning the keys over to my uncle where he will be taking over the payments and driving my baby for the rest of his life. so heres my question, i'm undecided about my next car ....should i get a 1999 eclipse GS-T turbo, a 2000 prelude or a 2000 V-6 accord coupe??? and why....why that car that you choose...."turbos rule!" or "stick with honda dude!!". thanxs </font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

get the prelude!!!

i had a 98 prelude for 3 years before the type s and i loved it! it's fast and great handler (will definetley put the type s to shame), and a great car all around. looks sweet, and it isn't as small as integras, so it's more practical. you can actually put people in the rear...of course, not like the type s though.

check out my link to my previous prelude. you can see what kind of potentials it can have.
also, check out that website : www.hondaprelude.com and post some questions and check out other people's ludes.

hope this helps.
-otherwise, get the accord

------------------
-Silver CL-S, non-navi (shoulda got it!)
-Comptech headers
-Comptech sways
-K&N drop-in filter
-Polarg M6 road lamps
-14% tint all around
-Viper alarm with Car Starter

Check out my sold 98 Honda Prelude:
www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=5644&gen=5&orderby=
Old 04-26-2001, 08:44 PM
Banned

If you can't afford the CL-S...then how can you afford a Prelude??? I mean the difference in monthly payments amounts to maybe $100...if that!! Well, figure what you want to do first. Do you want a potentially very fast car with possible tranny problems...(eclipse trannys are garbage...)
A normal family type car...that is a CL-S with none of the unique features and -60hp not to mention -30lb/ft torque. Or a Prelude that is rather fast...nice car, but if you want it really fast..it'll cost bucks. Can you tell me how any car except the Accord is going to lower your insurance bill though???

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
Old 04-26-2001, 09:27 PM
Instructor

I disagree about the trans problems on the Mitsu. At least, I can say that I've not had problems. I had the AWD turbo 5-speed for 3 years (it was a 92) and the 98 for almost a year (23000 miles on it). No problems with either one.

The only problem I can attest to is trading the car in. Unless you trade it in to a Mitsu dealer or sell it privately, you'll take a bath on it.

The issue of the Mitsu you drove being dog slow is related to the car you drove. The eclipse is a sporty car that's designed to be fast. It's also easily modded and made faster. The mirage is an economy car and it's powered that way.

I only suggested the eclipse because they're fairly cheap to get into and rally easy to hop up. I'm still runnin the stock turbo because I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the car. I bought it when I moved back to SoCal and wanted an inexpensive ragtop. Now that I've got some more cash, I'm planning to move upscale, hopefully to a CL-S.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:17 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How about a car with a spell checker built into the Navi :-)

------------------
RUVZ
01' 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps
Old 04-27-2001, 01:09 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
If you can't afford the CL-S...then how can you afford a Prelude??? I mean the difference in monthly payments amounts to maybe $100...if that!! Well, figure what you want to do first. Do you want a potentially very fast car with possible tranny problems...(eclipse trannys are garbage...)
A normal family type car...that is a CL-S with none of the unique features and -60hp not to mention -30lb/ft torque. Or a Prelude that is rather fast...nice car, but if you want it really fast..it'll cost bucks. Can you tell me how any car except the Accord is going to lower your insurance bill though???

</font>
I'm not talking about a new 01 prelude, i'm talking about a used accord, lude or mits. i've seen 2000 accord and prelude starting @ 18 g's and eclipse's for around $15-16,000. you compare that to the price of a new CL-S w/ nav. and we're talking 12-15,000 difference. also consider the insurance rate, which rate would be higher?? the cl-s which carries a $30,000 and brand spanking new or a '99 or '00 accord which is worth already around $18-22,000?? no doubt that the change in insurance rate won't change a whole hell of a lot it every dollar counts.... you weren't able to afford your CL-S spending every dollar crap? were you? just my toughts
Old 04-27-2001, 01:32 AM
Instructor

well, for $18k you can have my 98 eclipse spyder gs-t. Can't really go wrong with any of those tho.
Old 04-27-2001, 01:37 AM
Pro

thanxs but i want a car that HAS NOT been dogged out. you know, like that lil old lady on your block with that '64 chevy that her husband used to drive, besides 18 for a 98 is to much
Old 04-27-2001, 01:38 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
don't buy the eclipse!! they are POS; everyone i know who has one mysteriously has a spare block in thier garage
Old 04-27-2001, 02:34 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
don't buy the eclipse!! they are POS; everyone i know who has one mysteriously has a spare block in thier garage</font>
Oh please. Yeah, and I'm sure the thousands of people that bought them all had the extra block in the trunk from day one as a spare too. That and the hundreds of enthusiasts the mod their cars and race em are all just plain stupid as well, right? I don't doubt that some people have had bad experiences with em, but you can say that about every car.

They're not bad cars. Like I said, I've had 2 of them and only sold the first cause I was moving across the country and wanted a ragtop. I'm only getting rid of this one because a ragtop second car is not practical for me anymore. That and I drove a CL-S and decided I missed the luxury feel of that class of car. For it's price, the DSM cars are very solid and easy to hop up cheaply.

Everyone has preferences and opinions, but let's not get testy.

$18k for a 98 may seem like a lot, but mine's only got 23000 miles on it. It's in perfect condition, as it's been my weekend car since I got it and I don't rag on it. In fact, I've never raced it. I plan to do some before I I get rid of it tho. :-)
It's actually about halfway between bluebook wholesale and retail. With average mileage you can get one for about $15k, less if you don't want the ragtop.

Good luck with the car search.
Old 04-27-2001, 03:13 AM
acurreo

The new WRX.

If I were you, I would buy that. Not sure about the price range though.

------------------
Confused Individual
Old 04-27-2001, 03:14 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kastegir:
Oh please. Yeah, and I'm sure the thousands of people that bought them all had the extra block in the trunk from day one as a spare too. That and the hundreds of enthusiasts the mod their cars and race em are all just plain stupid as well, right? I don't doubt that some people have had bad experiences with em, but you can say that about every car.

They're not bad cars. Like I said, I've had 2 of them and only sold the first cause I was moving across the country and wanted a ragtop. I'm only getting rid of this one because a ragtop second car is not practical for me anymore. That and I drove a CL-S and decided I missed the luxury feel of that class of car. For it's price, the DSM cars are very solid and easy to hop up cheaply.

Everyone has preferences and opinions, but let's not get testy.

$18k for a 98 may seem like a lot, but mine's only got 23000 miles on it. It's in perfect condition, as it's been my weekend car since I got it and I don't rag on it. In fact, I've never raced it. I plan to do some before I I get rid of it tho. :-)
It's actually about halfway between bluebook wholesale and retail. With average mileage you can get one for about $15k, less if you don't want the ragtop.

Good luck with the car search.
</font>
true not everyone has blown a motor. But 8 out of the 12 modded ones i know of have so

but it's a bitchin car, but why not go GSX? and mod it so you get some power for those sideways launches
Old 04-27-2001, 03:35 AM
Instructor

That's what I'd do, go GSX (or talon awd). Gotta be careful when ya mod a turbo tho, overboosting can be nasty. I had a daytona turbo-Z and blew the motor and threw a bearing in the turbo. Gave me a good excuse to get it rebuilt, heads ported and polished and a bigger turbo. Ended up putting more into the motor than I paid for the car. Ran 18psi of boost thru it, went thru tires like sherman went through the south.

I never broke the tires loose on launch with my talon tsi AWD, and it wasn't for lack of trying. That thing grips like a demon.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

I have a few suggestions.. keep in mind these are definitely my personal preferences:
1. A Type R
2. 1999 V8 Mustang- in your price range, quick
3. Late model Firebird, Camaro: See Mustang, only quicker
4. The Prelude: Surprising car, truly.. quick, handles, comfy
5. DSM turbos are great, but I'd be a little afraid of buying a used one. If you DO get a good one, tho, they're special. Don't rule out a 3000GT VR4 either.

There's more, but I'm off work now, so that's it for me

------------------
01' Yellow Type R
PIAA Headlights
Comptech Air Filter
replaced an '01 CL-S
Old 04-27-2001, 03:26 PM
Instructor

One point to remember when buying a used car tho: Never buy someone else's hot rod.

You never know how well it was taken care of or how hard it was driven. You're much better of buying something that's stock or close to stock and modding it yourself.

I'd consider :
1998 or newer mustand GT (260 HP, cheap to mod and maintain)
1996 or newer DSM (eclipse/talon) (210 hp, easy to mod)
1998 or newer Prelude (195-200 hp, handles great, easy to work on)
1993-1996 Nissan 300zx:200hp normally aspirated, 300hp twin turbo. lots of mods available, but older, out of production car. really solid tho.

All of these should be in or around $13-19K.
Old 04-27-2001, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

What majeed said, the new WRX. The tricked out one with the turbo, 4WD and that momo wheel. Cost you about $24K though...if you can get one. If I was looking for stick and stickiness I'd get an WRX in a sec flat. Damn, even if I wasn't looking for stick I'd get a new WRX before the CLS. If any single part of a car gives that car a business look then check out the functioning hood scoop AND the huge driving lights on the WRX. Ahhhh,....

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car