Got rear-ended on my way to work just now.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear-ended on my way to work just now.

The impact was pretty good but the visual damage is minimal. The bumper took the impact and I just see some damage to that and a couple holes from his licenseplate.

Hopefully just a fill-and-repaint and no actual frame or other damage.

Exhaust pipes look undamaged and trunk works fine.

Rainy weather and everyone stopped quick. I always try to stop as slowly as possible to give whoevers behind me enough time to slow down, but it didn't help this time. I guess they were just too close to me and slid right into the back of my car. Thankfully there was enough room in front that I didn't then hit the car in front of me.

Time to call the bodyshop.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:20 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Sorry you had aggravation, but at least you weren't hurt. The car is a machine and can be fixed.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:22 AM
13 Second CLS Defender :)

Sorry to hear that that sucks but like pappy always said LOL so long as nobody got hurt its an inconvenience not a tragedy... i feel for ya tho
Old 11-22-2002, 07:27 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that man! It seems alot of people are having there cars hit lately.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:29 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JRock...if it wasn't your fault I would get the guy to buy you a new bumper. You never know what kind of a job they might do w/ a fill and repaint.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chikai
JRock...if it wasn't your fault I would get the guy to buy you a new bumper. You never know what kind of a job they might do w/ a fill and repaint.
Unless the bumper was torn, there is no reason to buy a new one. They make fillers for the bumper which work fine. The styrofoam under the bumper I have a feeling is damaged, so he probably needs that replaced. I just had my bumper fixed and it looks new.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jrock glad to hear that your ok that's really all that matters. Be sure that the corners in your recessed license plate frame are not cracked or crumbled. My bumper has to be replaced because of this. Again, glad to hear your ok.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

that sux JRock. at least you'er fine and the car isnt too badly damaged.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sucks dude, but it sounds like damage isn't too bad. Hopefully that's what the body shop says. Good luck in getting it fixed!

Oh yeah, glad to hear nobody was hurt!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened to me a few weeks ago. 80 year old man smacked me from behind.

$1200 dollars damage, and the damage was minimal. And I had a sore neck for about 48 hours.

One thing Acura did do properly is built their cars to withstand a good rear-end impact without causing damage to the frame, exhaust, etc.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:55 AM

J,

That sux man, Sorry.

Just remember though, it could always be worse, and it sounds it's nothing TOO TOO bad, but a hassle none the less.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:56 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Silverbullet, you probably need the styrofoam in the bumper replaced. If you can, have them replace the whole bumper.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:00 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ferizzo
I agree with Silverbullet, you probably need the styrofoam in the bumper replaced. If you can, have them replace the whole bumper.
I agree. Also, doesn't your neck hurt???
Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
:'( my condolences
Old 11-22-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by joeshmoe
I agree. Also, doesn't your neck hurt???

Yeah, I bet his neck and his back hurts...

He needs $150K DOLLAS!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 10:41 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know how much you can get fo a slip and fall in the sto?!!
Old 11-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

i was rearended a couple of times on my other car. if you really like your car, i recommend that you get a new bumper cover (the outter shell). no matter how much they work on your old bumper, you can still see waves on the paint where they repaired it. it is much more noticeable on black cars also...
Old 11-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Sucks this happened.... but at least it was minor and you're OK. Good luck with this.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Sorry to hear this Jacob.

Remember, I was rear ended a few months back?

Didn't look too bad!

BUT THEN! They took it apart. And found out how much damage was really done.

As long as you're ok!

P.S. Drivers are getting worse and worse. My niece was rear ended yesterday. Some idiot on a cell phone. :shakehd:
Old 11-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Old timer

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

The estimate was around $660. On the list was replace right foam energy absorber inside the bumper, so I guess that's included in the estimate. They also included labor to blend the quarter panels because the bumper wraps around.

It looks nowhere near as bad as Rockdog's car, that's for sure.

I'm still kinda down about the whole thing but it could have been much worse. The impact sounded and felt pretty hard but I guess the bumper absorbed it all. My upper back's a little stiff but nothing serious.

I was talking to a coworker about it and he's like aw man I woulda fallen out of my car onto the pavement screaming and throwing a fit and sued etc. and when the ambulance came for me I'd scream in fear everytime a car drove by as they were loading me on. He cracks me up.

Anyway, hopefully this will all be resolved Monday. Once nice thing about working in an auto park is the body shop happens to be next door to me so I'm just getting it taken care of there. I'm dropping it off when I arrive at work Monday and the bodyshop guy said it should be ready by the time I leave in the evening. That will be nice to not deal with a loaner, etc.

The guy I hit wants to pay cash so it doesn't get on his insurance. I said that's okay, but took all his policy info anyway just in case there's any issues. He seems all right and hopefully this will all be just a bad memory by Monday night.

Only thing I'm stressing about right now is the paint blending. The shop mixes their own paint - I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but they do. So hopefully it will turn out well. =\
Old 11-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

People like your co-worker are just the reason why our insurance rates are always going up. Sueing for no reason.

Originally posted by JRock

The estimate was around $660. On the list was replace right foam energy absorber inside the bumper, so I guess that's included in the estimate. They also included labor to blend the quarter panels because the bumper wraps around.

It looks nowhere near as bad as Rockdog's car, that's for sure.

I'm still kinda down about the whole thing but it could have been much worse. The impact sounded and felt pretty hard but I guess the bumper absorbed it all. My upper back's a little stiff but nothing serious.

I was talking to a coworker about it and he's like aw man I woulda fallen out of my car onto the pavement screaming and throwing a fit and sued etc. and when the ambulance came for me I'd scream in fear everytime a car drove by as they were loading me on. He cracks me up.

Anyway, hopefully this will all be resolved Monday. Once nice thing about working in an auto park is the body shop happens to be next door to me so I'm just getting it taken care of there. I'm dropping it off when I arrive at work Monday and the bodyshop guy said it should be ready by the time I leave in the evening. That will be nice to not deal with a loaner, etc.

The guy I hit wants to pay cash so it doesn't get on his insurance. I said that's okay, but took all his policy info anyway just in case there's any issues. He seems all right and hopefully this will all be just a bad memory by Monday night.

Only thing I'm stressing about right now is the paint blending. The shop mixes their own paint - I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but they do. So hopefully it will turn out well. =\
Old 11-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Your damn lucky it wasn't a women driving an EXCURSION talking on a cell and TAIL GATEING.........something young drivers have NO clue about ! KEEP 3 CAR DISTANCE AT ALL TIMES !
Glad your OK !
Old 11-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I GOT REARENDED FOR THE 3RD TIME IN MY CAR YESTERDAY! TWO HIT AND RUNS IN ONLY A FEW MONTHS!

like 3 months ago, a girl bumped my rearend and took off, i followed her while on the phone with the concord police. it was a hit and run. the police did find her and got her info. i didn't file charges tho.
well, yesterday on my way home from work, i was on the freeway onramp and the guy behind me was following me WAY too close in his big ass truck, the cars in front of me started to slow down to merge onto the freeway, and the jackass behind me bumped me. so i immediately called the 911 dispatcher on my cell phone because this guy was trying to drive around me after he just hit me. the guy and i pulled to the side of the road as i was on the phone with the dispatcher, he came up to my car and started pounding on my window and told me to get out of the car. the dispatcher heard the whole thing. so i yelled at him that CHP will be here in a few minutes to deal with you. he went back to his truck and started to leave, but as he was leaving i read off his license plate to the dispather and gave her the vehicle descrpiton, and he took off which now makes it a misdemeanor hit and run. i sat there in my car for an hour till CHP finally got there! he wrote down the whole report and they will send police to his house to arrest him for hit and run. now this will add yet another accident on my record even tho it's not my fault. it still goes on my insurance record because they are the ones that pay to have it fixed, then they go after his insurance company for payment. lovely

this will be the 4th bumper my car will get.
the acura dealership rearended my car into the parts truck.
then a girl three months ago (hit and run)
and now yesterday (hit and run)
Old 11-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

TypeSDragoon:

What is your color of you car ? I live in Antioch and frequent Concord....I'll look out for ya....
Later,
Old 11-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

my car is black

and i actually work for Safeway Corporate on the corner of Ygnacio and Oak Grove
Old 11-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

TypeS Dragoon: out of Oakland correct ?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:57 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by JRock

Well that's great news. Most of it is just cosmetic and a couple of cracked or broken pieces. Realy glad you weren't hurt, and your car faired well Jacob.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by Fabvsix
TypeS Dragoon: out of Oakland correct ?
Dublin
Old 11-22-2002, 05:12 PM
'Cooter

:'(

remember, parts can b replaced...people can't

glad u still got all yer fingers & toes intact
Old 11-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Yeah Jrock. I was rearended yesterday. Traffic was stopped and this guy in a Saab 9000 comes flyin up behind me then tried to slam on brakes. $784 dollars in damage. I hope to get it fix next week. Just not the same after ya car has been hit. But glad to hear you're okay. My neck hurt some. Saw a doctor this morning. He thinks no major injury. Anyways I feel ya pain.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

ahh man that fooken sux. sorry bro.. sue that bizatch