got hit by debris

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 08:04 PM
nItIn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got hit by debris

I completely forgot to post this. I had a "stroke of luck" last nite!

I am driving home from work on a 4 lane street heading east. Up front at the upcoming intersection there are 2 cars in the left turn lane yielding to the traffic coming west trying to turn left (north).

I have the green and no cars in front of me all the way through the next light. So I'm gettin ready to floor it. I feel the car getting ready to take off when all of a sudden I see an old old car (like 88 camry or something) flying through the air (quite a sight .. 360 mid air!) spinning around and landing square in front of me barely 5-6 car lengths ahead. I slam on the brakes and swerve and avoid the guy. This guy was south bound, and ran the red and hit one of the cars in the left turn lane. Anyways, everyone was alive, just a few bruises and cuts and stuff ..

As for me .. all that hit me was a little debris, on my driver side door, and I literally tore up my brakes trying to avoid the guy. I stopped right there and waited till the cops arrived, they took my info as a witness and then I left.

Anyways, the bottom line is that I probably got a tiny ding on my door from the debris .. there was already a key mark on the door. I am wondering what I should claim here? Should I even bring in my insurance? The cops said I should give it a couple days and then call the traffic office. Any ideas?

------------------
2001 CL-P - Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Burlwood trim, Wheel Locks, Spoiler, Trunk Net, Polarg M6 Road Lamps, Polarg M4 Door Lamps, Polarg M4 Map Lights, Polarg M12 Turn, Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, Polarg M16 Dome Light

Coming soon: '02 TL-S Burlwood Steering, Burlwood Vent Trims, Burlwood Shifter

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626022

[This message has been edited by nabster (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I just had alittle problem with vandalism and if i decided to go with insurance i would have had to pay the decultable plus my rates would have gone up. I was going to do this if i didnt find out who did the damage since it was 1600 but i found out who did it. So if i was you i wouldnt want my rates to raise and i would just get it fixed or see if you could get the driver of the old car's insurance to cover it.

------------------
'97 CL with custom scratches thanks to my mom's "wonderful" cats
Old 04-20-2001, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the ding also have a scratch?

If the ding doesn't have a scratch, you can get one of the guys who use metal spoons to work out the dent for about $100.

My wife's car had a tiny scratch from an idiot who dropped a computer table (part of it) on the front fender of her car). I fixed the scratch with a dab of touch of paint and my wet sandpaper trip. I couldn't fix the quarter size dent/ding. We called "Dent-Wizards", got the most senior guy and he fixed this in about an hour at my wife's office and it was perfect. You can't see the dent. The job was perfect.

So, if the dent is small, and the paint hasn't been "ripped" off, you might want to consider it.

(They can't fix the paint....)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-20-2001, 09:28 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Not sure what kind of policy you have but vandalism is covered under my comprehensive deductible($100). I've already used it once. My car was keyed and the tires slashed. The damage came to $1400. Paid the deductible and had it fixed. According to my agent comprehensive claims don't affect your policy premium.

------------------
'01 CLS San Marino Red/Ebony
Spoiler
Comptech Springs
Old 04-20-2001, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Speed_Racer:
Not sure what kind of policy you have but vandalism is covered under my comprehensive deductible($100). I've already used it once. My car was keyed and the tires slashed. The damage came to $1400. Paid the deductible and had it fixed. According to my agent comprehensive claims don't affect your policy premium.

</font>
Boy, your sure lucky, in our area a change from the $500 deductible to the $100 was about $300 more a year per car (but, I live in a Metro area with tons of car door dingers and bumper mashers).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-21-2001, 12:42 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Speed_Racer:

</font>

I would have had to pay the $500 ductuctable and they said rates would go up. Your lucky man.

------------------
'97 CL with custom scratches thanks to my mom's "wonderful" cats
Old 04-21-2001, 02:58 AM
Dub Driver

What was it like to see a 88 Camry fly ? lol

Glad you're ok ... Sucks about the dings. Ask the camry driver's insurance company for damages.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:13 PM
Instructor

I'd keep the ding as a reminder to look out for flying camrys. LOL

Glad you lived to tell the tale.

------------------
I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.
General Patton