Good will tranny my ass

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good will tranny my ass

Just wanna give everyone a heads up in regards to our transmissions and what acura/honda corp did for me ...short and sweet 63k on my 01 cls. Starting to fail. Took it to local acura dealership where i purchased my wifes 08 tl...was told by manager nothing we can do...out of warranty...i starting blabbing bout the 7 yrs 9 months or 109,000 warranty...not right my car is babied and only has 63k...i asked him about the good will offers and if i could contact a regional manager or someone who can give me an answer on behalf on honda/acura corp...bottom line i was very knowledgeable and persistant and i think it paid off...not a sweetheart deal but i'm happy that they are doing something for us still...i have to pay $2000 parts labor includes the 3 yr/ 36,000 mile warranty and i am getting a loaner while they do the work...was quoted between $4200 and $4500 for a new trans... All in all pretty happy with how i was treated...i know 2000 is alot of cash but you know what i have some piece of mind now with my trans...
just wanna know if anyone else had any current/ similar stories to share now that alot of our warranties are up...basically i am curious to know if this a good deal? Anyone out of warranty getting trannies for free? Should i have pushed for more of a discount? What do you guys think?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See I do not understand...

I told ACURA corperate if they would go 50/50 I would do it but the best they offered me was 10% so my bill would be $4100 + tax, and I called everyone. I bought the car new and got 1st tranny at 36K under warrenty , bought extended warrenty and got 2nd tranny at 99K under extended warrenty... So at 163k No help whatsoever... I had to pay $3300 to get it rebuilt w/better parts!

So yeah you got a deal but only had 67K , where i also had 67K but on my 3rd tranny!!

Did u call corperate and get a case manager or did your dlr call them?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say, but trade it in... CLS is way out dated get a RWD car....
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by frontmidship
I just bought my first home/condo I can't afford anouther payment right now!
I'm gonna hold on to it till my tranny warrenty is up so 3 years or 36 K (which will prob be like 2.5 years) then unload it!
I can't get a RWD car anyways where I like cuz the winters a rough so my next ride will be a 06 RL or 06 M35X!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ha, this is going to sound mean but that is the worst 1st post I have read in a very very long time.

Thanks for telling us captain obvious that a 2001 car is "out dated".. But if you compare it to other 2001 cars, it actually is still pretty comparable to cars now a days.

Great advice telling someone to buy a RWD car too when you don't even know their circumstances.

Maybe your 2nd post will be a little more intelligent.

As for goodwill, as these cars get older, sooner or later Acura is not going to give any goodwill regardless of the situation. The best card you can pull is customer loyalty and that you own a brand new Acura also. You probably handled it how I would have. I don't think there was much more you could do as for getting it lower than $2200.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
What dealer was this. A friend that lives on SI got his TLS replaced out of warranty all under good will from Park Av Acura. This was January.
Honestly I'd get trade the thing & get a used SUV for NY roads. I hated my car when I drove there. SI is too fuggin crowded!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
goodwill is exactly that, goodwill. if your car is out of warranty, they dont have to give you anything. goodwill does not entitle you to anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
my 98 AV6 got a trans 8 years old at time granted like i had 50K on it but they good willed it at 100%
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pits200
Ha, this is going to sound mean but that is the worst 1st post I have read in a very very long time.

Thanks for telling us captain obvious that a 2001 car is "out dated".. But if you compare it to other 2001 cars, it actually is still pretty comparable to cars now a days.

Great advice telling someone to buy a RWD car too when you don't even know their circumstances.

Maybe your 2nd post will be a little more intelligent.

As for goodwill, as these cars get older, sooner or later Acura is not going to give any goodwill regardless of the situation. The best card you can pull is customer loyalty and that you own a brand new Acura also. You probably handled it how I would have. I don't think there was much more you could do as for getting it lower than $2200.
$2200 is a down payment on a car are u crazy.... your going to have the same problems over and over again. why waist time and money?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

^ your an idiot

he likes the car thats why, and he said he wants to save cuz he just bought a place.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

^want a real sports car get a RWD idiot
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Im not sure at any point in his statement did he say he wanted a "real sports car"

Obviously with your spelling you're not very educated. I really hope you aren't spending your entire paycheck each month on a car payment when there are so many other important things in life.

Stop passing advice along to people when some people are trying to be financially responsible.

You could have said, "hey man, if you're worried about the tranny breaking over and over, go get a civic or another car under 10k to replace the CL" Lol, go get a RWD.... Haha
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,324 Posts
I missed where anyone asked for advice. He is getting peace of mind from the 3/36 warranty he is getting.

The CLS was WAY ahead of it's time and is a great car. It is fast, comfortable & mostly reliable.

What year is where you are? FWD has been viable in a sports car for well over a decade.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro

wow this new guy is really flaming the experienced with only 3 posts and has made this thread go totally off topic...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
$2200 is a down payment on a car are u crazy.... your going to have the same problems over and over again. why waist time and money?
you have to think about it for a second. If he didn't put the 2200 into his CL-S he would own a car that is useless. Atleast with 2200 he can get alot more out of his CL-S. You don't need RWD to enjoy a CL-S. Its a great car and a blast to drive(when the tranny is operating properly!)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

The CLS understeers like a camry, suspension is too soft + body roll = wack.

Last edited by frontmidship; 08-12-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
What if you went the 6MT route? It might be a bit more expensive, but in the long run might save you some cash (no more transmission replacements)

OR you trade it in and get a CL-S 6MT...generally manuals are less expensive than autos in the used car world. Might be tough though with a transmission in your shape. You sure you can't haggle them down anymore?

Anyways, good luck with whatever you do
Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
And you know this from experience of course...

I doubt you'll last long here...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
B A N N E D

Frontmidship , I work at a car Dealer and drive MANY cars I'm pretty much a car freak.
My car has 168K granted the trannies suck A$$ everything else is top notch..
My car drives better then most American cars that have 20-30K miles on them.
The car feels tighter and better pur together then most cars with 5 miles on them.
I put $650 into shocks/springs/RSB and sway bar links and now the car takes turns just as good as any RWD car Understeer is totally gone... And the seats in the CLS are the most comfortable seats I ever sat in and every tech that has sat in my car says the same thing.. I KNOW this is not a sports car, I dont want/need a sports car but if you are gonna start talking smack at least drive the car first..

I am a little pissed on the GOODWILL thing and I wanna write ACURA a letter.. I dont understand how they can ust pick and choose who they goodwill.. I bought the car new and had all tranny service done at the DLR and i get no help and others that bought the car used and never serviced the car get 50%.. Im not talking about FUPAYME but otheres I read , and I read alot when I was going through my last tranny...

Does anyone know the address to acura and I am not really a good letter writer does anyone have a letter they wrote about the trans problem I can use as a template!

Thanks!@
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
What dealer was this. A friend that lives on SI got his TLS replaced out of warranty all under good will from Park Av Acura. This was January.
Honestly I'd get trade the thing & get a used SUV for NY roads. I hated my car when I drove there. SI is too fuggin crowded!
this was open road acura rt. 18 new jersey...i was in a mad rush looking for a car to trade in on...honestly nothing i like for a good price... i was looking for a 03-07 accord coupe v6 and a g35 coupe...i commute too far for an suv...besides i hate them way too slow for me...the most i was getting was $6200 for my car which i would have done but i really didn't like the car i was buying...it was a 06 g35 sedan with higher miles...that car felt slower then the cl-s...now i figure i can fix my car get a warranty and sell it privately for more money..i know i can get at least $8,000 from kids in my neighborhood...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM
G.uns O.n D.emand

the cls understeers like a camry, suspension is too soft + body roll = wack.
^^ who is this retard...guy you aren't making too many friends in here right now...kinda stupid of you too even be posting in here if you dont like the cl-s...plenty of us love the car and modify it so it doesnt handle like a camry...take a look around...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,324 Posts
Mine does not do any of this, did not stock does not with Koni yellows Neuspeed front sway, CT springs & rear sway, Moog sway endlinks.

Do you even have a second gen CL? Sounds like you are very familiar with a Camry.

Are you old enough to drive or is this based on rides your Mom gives you to band practice in her Camry?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
LOL this is a jokes thread. For the record... My tranny just went on my 01 CL-s at 59000 miles and I was pissed when it happened. Acura said they won't help me out for shit!, and my mom bought an 01 cl-p from them and an mdx, and they still don't give 2 shits.

Thank god one of the mechanics is my buddy and he linked me up with his good buddy who has a shop at home and only works on acuras, mostly NSX's so he knows his shyt. I'm getting a transtar tq converter, all the solenoids tested and cleaned, new gears/clutch packs and w/e else I need all for 1500 cash Canadian. Thank god i know this guy!

As for the body roll and sway. I must agree there is a lot of sway on the highway especially from the rsb on the car. I just got the progress put on my car last week and it made a world difference. LIKE a whole new friggin car.

That pretty much fixes the only suspensuion issue with the car so now it can handle so decent turns. It's no race car but I surely is good enough for a luxury coupe.

Anyways to put it short and sweet. I WAS looking into aftermarket suspension due to this insane sway back in the rear, but after the sway bar upgrade I just decided to hell with that cause it's like 5xs more solid on the body roll now.

Honerstly... get the rsb, and as long ans the tranny work. The CL is an amazing WHIP!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
will someone ban that e douche bag already?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
He's gone
Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well this is probably going to piss you off!

I bought my CLS off Ebay in with 58K miles. Ran great then around 64K the tranny started acting up. I called Acura and they said my warranty was up by 4 weeks (the 7 yr 109K). So I drove it for another 1000 miles. Then I started to get anoid with the tranny. It was slipping a little and downshifting really hard. So I said "F" it. I called AAA and had them tow it to Pikes Peak Acura. (Pikes Peak Acura has a bunch of assholes) I called and told them it was on its way. I spoke to a Acura Rep, from Acura Client Services. Now mind you this is my first Honda/Acura product, I had never paid the dealers to do any service (did my own). Acura offered a good will. All I had to pay was a little over $700.00 and I still got the 3/36K warranty. Even after Acura said I only had to pay $700, Pikes Peak wanted me to pay $900.00 and would not give me my car back unless I paid. So I called the Acura Rep back and I was on my way in ten min.

Good thing I got the warranty cause I'm at 85K and the tranny is going out again. But I'm getting rid of it as soon as I'm done at FLETC Sept. 29th. So I'm not sure if i'm gonna take the time and have the car towed all the way down to Jacksonville FL. to get the tranny replaced or not.

Sorry you got a bum deal, but at least you got some what of a deal.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
See I do not understand...

I told ACURA corperate if they would go 50/50 I would do it but the best they offered me was 10% so my bill would be $4100 + tax, and I called everyone.
They look at millage, from their perspective if you got over 150K miles they don't give a crap, even if your last transmission was replaced only 20K miles ago. You are at end of life by Acura definition. Auto industry wants you to dump this car and buy a new one ! They are looking out for you!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Well this is probably going to piss you off!

I bought my CLS off Ebay in with 58K miles. Ran great then around 64K the tranny started acting up. I called Acura and they said my warranty was up by 4 weeks (the 7 yr 109K). So I drove it for another 1000 miles. Then I started to get anoid with the tranny. It was slipping a little and downshifting really hard. So I said "F" it. I called AAA and had them tow it to Pikes Peak Acura. (Pikes Peak Acura has a bunch of assholes) I called and told them it was on its way. I spoke to a Acura Rep, from Acura Client Services. Now mind you this is my first Honda/Acura product, I had never paid the dealers to do any service (did my own). Acura offered a good will. All I had to pay was a little over $700.00 and I still got the 3/36K warranty. Even after Acura said I only had to pay $700, Pikes Peak wanted me to pay $900.00 and would not give me my car back unless I paid. So I called the Acura Rep back and I was on my way in ten min.

Good thing I got the warranty cause I'm at 85K and the tranny is going out again. But I'm getting rid of it as soon as I'm done at FLETC Sept. 29th. So I'm not sure if i'm gonna take the time and have the car towed all the way down to Jacksonville FL. to get the tranny replaced or not.

Sorry you got a bum deal, but at least you got some what of a deal.
not really pissed off...my cars in service date was 6/00 so my warranty has been expired for 17 months granted i have low mileage...according to acura this was as good as it gets...i was originally told they will only cover 10% like stoned cl said...i would be pissed off if they didn't offer to do anything...$2000 is alot of money but you know i'm getting a new tranny and i get to keep my car for another three yrs...the warranty was the iceing on the cake for me...if you price used car warranties its pretty reasonable for peace of mind...i heard people are getting free trannies but i don't know how recent that was...this is the reason i started the thread...i wanna determine facts from fiction and possiblely help out some other people in the future...keep the updates coming guys!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by russianDude
They look at millage, from their perspective if you got over 150K miles they don't give a crap, even if your last transmission was replaced only 20K miles ago. You are at end of life by Acura definition. Auto industry wants you to dump this car and buy a new one ! They are looking out for you!
I have a thread (I can provide the invoice) of a guy who had over 200K miles on his TL when his tranny went and the gave him one for $2000..1/2 price..
Why would they give it to someone with 50K more miles then me and not me?

I think your off when you say its a miles thing!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
B A N N E D

Look at this someone with 227,748 miles got a 1/2 price tranny less the a year ago..
So there u go russiandude I don't think it has to do with miles!!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have a thread (I can provide the invoice) of a guy who had over 200K miles on his TL when his tranny went and the gave him one for $2000..1/2 price..
Why would they give it to someone with 50K more miles then me and not me?
Maybe he wasn't on his third tranny?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Zippee
Maybe he wasn't on his third tranny?
What does that have to do with anything?
My first tranny was replaced under warrenty..
My second was replaced under extended warrenty (which I paid over $1000 for) It is not my fault acura can't build a tranny that lasts 50K miles?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
kk so my tranny isn't going to be 1500. It's going to be 1860. My mechanic found a broken hydraulic transmission mount, and a new low hold gear (w/e the heck that is)..

But all in all, 1860 with the transtar tq converter, new clutch packs, cleaned/tested solenoids, new low hold gear and hydraulic tranny mount aint too SHABBY.

Does the low hold gear have to be replaced often or what?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Wow I'm sorry to hear that really sucks. I'm glad I have a 6 speed.

As for the goodwill stuff I think it depends on the customer, Acura's relationship with the dealer and service manager, etc. There are many "soft" factors that go into making a decision as to who pays and how much. Like most things in life, it isn't fair and a guy in NY might get something covered that a guy in FL doesn't.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CL6
Wow I'm sorry to hear that really sucks. I'm glad I have a 6 speed.

As for the goodwill stuff I think it depends on the customer, Acura's relationship with the dealer and service manager, etc. There are many "soft" factors that go into making a decision as to who pays and how much. Like most things in life, it isn't fair and a guy in NY might get something covered that a guy in FL doesn't.
Yeah that what pisses my off the most is some people they help and some they will not help...Either help everyone or no one...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah that what pisses my off the most is some people they help and some they will not help...Either help everyone or no one...
They did help you once.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Zippee
They did help you once.
NO they didn't...

1st tranny under factory warrenty

2nd tranny under extended warrenty (that I paid for)
Old 08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

tranny officially done as of today...driving home car lit up with the d5 flashing, check engine, vsa and exclamation point....car would not engage gears...pulled over shut car off turned key halfway shut down again and restart...i limped it home around 30 mph..seemed like i had first and second gear only...fuckin automatic cl... I'm not scheduled to get my car fixed till monday...i need a car for work...i am fucked right now...i'm gonna try and limp it to the dealer monday...hope i make it about 20 miles away from me...what a joke these trannys are...oh ya forgot to add my ar said "crunch" when i tried to put it in reverse when i got home...lol unreal
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
B A N N E D

So they JUST fixed your tranny and you have no 3rd GEAR?
Did they check it B4 you took it from them?
These tranny are REALLY ridiculous That is suppose to be a rebuilt unit!
I guess they charged you 1/2 price cuz u have 1/2 the gears Reverse , 1st and 2nd . and no 3rd 4th and 5th gear!
Like I said B4 i would rather take my Tranny to a independent certified ATRA rebuilder then have it rebuilt by ACURA!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
G.uns O.n D.emand

Originally Posted by stonedcl
so they just fixed your tranny and you have no 3rd gear?
Did they check it b4 you took it from them?
These tranny are really ridiculous that is suppose to be a rebuilt unit!
I guess they charged you 1/2 price cuz u have 1/2 the gears reverse , 1st and 2nd . And no 3rd 4th and 5th gear!
Like i said b4 i would rather take my tranny to a independent certified atra rebuilder then have it rebuilt by acura!
no no no...this is the original tranny...i felt the early warning signs and brought to them..hasen't been fixed yet...lol shit i hope the rebuild isn't that bad!!!

Quick Reply: Good will tranny my ass