Getting ready for wet / slushy / snowy roads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready for wet / slushy / snowy roads...

It's high time I put on on new tires, especially with winter right around the corner (first set of stockers gave up around 35K miles and then I got another 10K out of a used second set that I inherited when I bought "mint" new OEM rims from a fellow member). I'm in the OEM size A/S market and have narrowed my choices to either Continental's ContiExtremeContact ($92/ea @ Tire Rack) or Yokohama's Avid V4S ($102/ea @ Tire Rack). I'm not a gonzo driver, but like a moderate amount of speed in turns and fair amount in the straight aways, but generally just drive like an old geezer.

Of course, we've spent a lot of time recently debating the relative merits of the ContiExtremeContact. Overall, it's not perfect, but I think we would mostly agree that it represents a significant improvement over our OEM Michelins. Cosemtically, it's interesting to say the least. Furthermore, its price has risen about 20% since we uncovered this jewel early this year, but it's still in a reasonable range.

Despite it's slightly higher price, the Avid V4S appears to be getting better reviews from fellow members. Overall, it sounds like the tire of choice for drivers in my situation. Therefore, I'm going with four new Avids and am really looking forward to them.

How much leverage can you get on price negotiations from a local shop based on mail order pricing? Shipping looks to only be ~$50 for all four.

Anyone care to weigh in?!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:24 PM
"You my boi blue!"

I ordered my V4's from Tirerack. I have had about 500 miles on them and love them for being all season tires. THey arent the best performance tires, but then again they arent PERFORMANCE tires to begin with. They do very well in the rain and they perform better all around than the stock michelins.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember driving a car with the ContiExtremeContacts on it and I wasn't overly impressed for some reason, too much tire squeal in turns that I would normally never hear. If your budget was for 200$ a tire I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I am surprised you don't run snow tires in the winter being in Utah.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:35 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also bought my Avid V4s with intention of using them for all seasons. Altough I haven't driven with them in snow yet, I do have about 3000 miles on them and they are wearing extremely well. In the rain they are much better than stock, and dry traction around corners and off the line is better than stock as well, and I drive my car pretty hard. For the price I would like to think they can't be beat. Oh and one other thing that impressed me, they are very quiet!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:20 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Best bang for the buck as far as OVERALL ratings
Old 10-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
I also bought my Avid V4s with intention of using them for all seasons. Altough I haven't driven with them in snow yet, I do have about 3000 miles on them and they are wearing extremely well. In the rain they are much better than stock, and dry traction around corners and off the line is better than stock as well, and I drive my car pretty hard. For the price I would like to think they can't be beat. Oh and one other thing that impressed me, they are very quiet!

I bought these for my stock rims. I aven't put them on yet thought. Still got my summer rims on.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Racer

anothercls -

Utah might be the home of the 2002 Winter Olympics, but it's the mountains that get all the snow. Sure it snows in the valley at the base of the mountains, but not nearly as much as at the top. Snow tires are probably only needed 5-10 times per winter - at most.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Audi S4 driver

wow I was just researching A\S tires the other day because its getting colder by the day here in NJ and I know my stock tires won't last this season .. especially since the one that was on my passenger side front is nearly bald after only 15K .. weird

whats even weirder is I narrowed my choices down to the same two tires, and came up with the same conclusion .. the V4S.

however .. I swear I've read every single review of them on tire rack and now every review in this thread and I still cannot find ONE person who has used them in the snow. other than that I am sold on them .. everyone says they are good in the rain, good in the dry, quiet, and stable feeling. many reported they have stiff sidewalls to support cornering and a tight feel on the highway but still nice and smooth. and best of all, they match the stock load rating.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is what i found too, but I think this is because they came out after the winter this year meaning early spring 2004 so nobody has had a chance to use them in snow. Then again maybe I am wrong.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Audi S4 driver

that makes sense. you are probably right.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I've had the V4's in the stock size for about two weeks now and am very pleased.

The one rainy day we had they did very well. Dry handling is superior to the Michelins and as was noted earlier they are very quiet. I used to have to turn the radio up while driving on some types of pavement. I got 59K from the original tires and these should go that long too.

The Conti's may be slightly better at the far end of the performance spectrum and they are slightly cheaper but I think the V4's are the best choice for daily driving.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
There's not much out there in the stock size except Falkens, Sumi's, and the Yokos... I've had great luck with Yokos in the past so I went with the V4 when I needed 2 tires... Yokos tend to be good in rain but can sometimes be a little squirrelly if you push it in the rain (yeah, I know slow down). If the Pilot Sport a/s were available in the stock size, I probably would have spent the extra bucks on them, but I didn't feel comfortable running 235's on the stock 7" rim...

One note... There is a V4 and a V4S... V4 is rated for 45k miles, the V4S is 60K miles tread wear. I got the V4 because that's what was in stock and I needed tires quickly. I'll probably replace the other 2 tires w/ the V4S when my last 2 oems go...
Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Another, SLIGHTLY more expensive option are the new Goodyear Tripletread Assurance tires. They have great all over traction, but will run you ~$20 more per tire than the Yokos. They are also rated at 80K miles, wo they should last a bit longer than the Yokos as well.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Racer

Finally broke down today and ordered four Yokohama Avid V4S tires for my CLS. As has been discussed ad nauseam, nearly all the reviews here and elsewhere are positive.

Instead of ordering through the Net, I went directly to Discount Tire. It was only $25-50 more, which was quite surprising. I went with convenience. What's funnier - me driving down the road holding a mattress on top of my roof or driving down the tires one a freaking time?!

Awhile back, I was at another tire store and they wanted to pawn off some "lightly used" four Michelins on me. I listened to their pitch and checked out the tires, which looked brand new with the little nubs still on them. Allegedly, one of their guys bought a new Mazda 6 and had to swap out the Michelins (same size and model as ours) for their brand of tires. Seems kinda unbelieveable, but he wanted full list price less $25/ea for them!!! They're used, mister, and you can't sell used tires at a new price! Too much and too weird of story for me to bite. Nice try, dude.

Ugh, I hate spending money on something as lame as tires.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i'm ready. i raised my car up a couple turns and i have a brand new set of studless snowtires. they are sticky as hell in the wet too.

Hankook W300
225/45R-17 94V XL
Old 11-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Finally broke down today and ordered four Yokohama Avid V4S tires for my CLS. As has been discussed ad nauseam, nearly all the reviews here and elsewhere are positive.

Instead of ordering through the Net, I went directly to Discount Tire. It was only $25-50 more, which was quite surprising. I went with convenience. What's funnier - me driving down the road holding a mattress on top of my roof or driving down the tires one a freaking time?!

Awhile back, I was at another tire store and they wanted to pawn off some "lightly used" four Michelins on me. I listened to their pitch and checked out the tires, which looked brand new with the little nubs still on them. Allegedly, one of their guys bought a new Mazda 6 and had to swap out the Michelins (same size and model as ours) for their brand of tires. Seems kinda unbelieveable, but he wanted full list price less $25/ea for them!!! They're used, mister, and you can't sell used tires at a new price! Too much and too weird of story for me to bite. Nice try, dude.

Ugh, I hate spending money on something as lame as tires.
I thought about the same thing; how will I get the tires to the place?

But all you had to do was read a little on Tire Rack, and you could've gotten them shipped to a local tire vendor that deals with tirerack for installation.

I paid 101 a tire, got them shipped to a shop near me and then drove there for installation
Old 11-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I had my Yoko's mounted today. I've only driven about 3 miles on them so I really don't have an oppinion yet.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

put the stock rims wrapped with Sumi HTR+'s on today...(the winter set-up)

Car rides like a caddy.

I almost shit myself, because I thought I lost my friggen key for the wheel locks..I had it hidden in the car and forgot where I put it........ Needless to say I was pretty pissed off at myself..

I really dislike when I misplace important stuff.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Racer

Yeah, guess I could've had 'em shipped in. Anyhow, my deal went smooth ... of course, I was the one that left with the lighter wallet.

New Yokos are proving to be much quieter on the road! Yes, I'm comparing these to a set of old, worn out Michelins - but, the difference is huge. Handling is AOK and I've got a storm over Thanksgiving to try them out in.

Bottomline: no buyer's remorse.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 PM

great. i am goign to need new tires too. there is still alot of treads left on it but i feel it loosing traction alot now with the same driving style. I have about 40k on stock tires so i figure i'll change it before the snow comes... i'll probably get the AV4 after i read some review with them on snow
Old 11-22-2004, 09:54 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Originally Posted by Paul
great. i am goign to need new tires too. there is still alot of treads left on it but i feel it loosing traction alot now with the same driving style. I have about 40k on stock tires so i figure i'll change it before the snow comes... i'll probably get the AV4 after i read some review with them on snow

You caaaan doooooo iiit! I have had mine for about 3-4k miles on them. I have nor regret what-so-ever....I guess everyone will just have to see how they will do in the winter time.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Racer

Update: Yokohama's Avid V4S are working great for me. More rain and wet roads than snow this winter, but I'm giving them two thumbs up. Today had an inch or two on the road and no trouble spinning until I really dug deep into the loud pedal.