Gas pedal is sticking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas pedal is sticking....

is there any thing that can be done aside from bringing it into the dealer and having them take a look at it. the gas pedal sometimes sticks and occurances vary from full stop to running at fast speeds. i need to press on the gas harder at times for the car to start moving or at times to accelerate cuz it's not smooth as before. any thing i can lube to ease the sticking?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your wallet...take it to dealer
Old 09-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did this a few times after not being driven for 24hrs or longer....I just figured I'd drive it more often.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:52 PM
I have the need for speed

Originally Posted by anothercls
Mine did this a few times after not being driven for 24hrs or longer....I just figured I'd drive it more often.

There might be a TSB on it. Ask the dealer. Hopefully you are still under warranty.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Meth
your wallet...take it to dealer
i'm still under warranty. just hate going to the dealer and having to take time off from work. if no suggestions, i may take it in this week. grrrrr!!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:18 PM
That's Racist

Take it in. Better safe than sorry. Plus... they should wash your car for you
Old 09-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Banned

i know what you mean about the dealers... i go after work.... but its like an hour or more to get any work done... sucks...

make them fix the problem... i mean we pay good money for out shyt... and we deserve to get good treatment and good service...

the one thing that is falling is proper service in America... the US used to be a service oriented country... now its like.... self serve all over the place...

we deserve to get some f8cking service, take that f8cking car in and make them the fix that f8cker...

sorry.... i got heated....
Old 09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Could be some carbon buildup on the trottle body plate. I'd spary some carb cleaner into the tb to clean it out a little. Also maybe you need some lube on the throttle cables at the tb end.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
i had my gas pedal stick after not driving for about 2 weeks in college, then it was fine afterwards.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Racer

The dealer won't cover it. Trust me, I work at one. It's more then likely that there is carbon build up on your throttle body plate. Go get some cleaner and just spray it in there. Make sure you get both sides. Then, after cleaning, give it a few good revs. THat should do the trick.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:32 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
tkae it in. That is like asking for death.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 AM
GEB
Racer

I had a mustang with the same problem. It ended up being the cruse control cable.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Mine did this when I stored it for the winter.

I drove it for a couple day and it was fine.

Never knew what it was.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Yea, when I went on my honeymoon and came back a week later my gas pedal was sticking. Even though I have an A/T it looked like I was learning how to drive stick b/c I had to press the pedal hard to go anywhere. So just drive it for a few days and it will probably go away.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
The dealer won't cover it. Trust me, I work at one. It's more then likely that there is carbon build up on your throttle body plate. Go get some cleaner and just spray it in there. Make sure you get both sides. Then, after cleaning, give it a few good revs. THat should do the trick.

Jimmy is correct. My pedal would stick and the dealer would spray cleaner in the intake for a few seconds (car running and working the throttle) and the problem would go away. Fix usually lasted about 6-9 months. Seems the last "fix" has lasted more than a year though.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:18 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

It's probably the throttle body. I had to have two replaced under warranty b/c they were sticking.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

now all this sticking started a week to two weeks after pohanka acura replaced my tranny. i do have the comptech ice box and i know they messed around with it cuz all the wires for my sound system that i routed around the box were in different locations. plus they over tightened the screws too. was a pain to check the filter today. u guys think this may have affected it? the filter is still relatively clean too.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Racer

I also have the gas-pedal sticking problem. Not too severe- just when the car sits for more than 24hrs. I get a little jerk when it breaks the stickyness. I will look into the throttlebody cleaner. thanks you guys! It looks like every problem I encounter is encountered by most people here!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lead_sled_dog
Jimmy is correct. My pedal would stick and the dealer would spray cleaner in the intake for a few seconds (car running and working the throttle) and the problem would go away. Fix usually lasted about 6-9 months. Seems the last "fix" has lasted more than a year though.
ok...so i am off to purchase some carb cleaner tomorrow. just want to make sure...i spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body (where the intake tube connects to the engine) and have my brother step on the gas pedal as i am spraying. question...won't the dirt that comes off harm the engine? and how much of the carb cleaner do i spray in there?
Old 09-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally Posted by icy CL
ok...so i am off to purchase some carb cleaner tomorrow. just want to make sure...i spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body (where the intake tube connects to the engine) and have my brother step on the gas pedal as i am spraying. question...won't the dirt that comes off harm the engine? and how much of the carb cleaner do i spray in there?
I watched the dealer just "spray away". The engine would stumble a bit at times but he just kept working the throttle and spraying. The pedal sticking issue went away. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I watched the dealer just "spray away". The engine would stumble a bit at times but he just kept working the throttle and spraying. The pedal sticking issue went away. Good luck.
Good GOD! you guys are the best! Big thanks to JimmyTLS and fuzzy02CLS. bought some gumout carb and choke cleaner. removed the connection of my ice box at the throttle body and started spraying (about 7 sprays) while working the throttle cable. gas pedal is now as smooth as it was and to make things even better, i seem to be getting better response when i punch the gas. don't know why! THANKS GUYS!!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Was it covered under warranty?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Back to Four Doors

Originally Posted by zamo
Was it covered under warranty?
Yeah ... I would have them do an oil change for $30 and ask they check out the sticking pedal. I figured since they were getting some $$$ from me, it'd be no prob.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Bag O' Hammers

Talking

I was just searching around the boards for a possible solution to my throttle sticking problem, and stumbled across this thread. I tried the carb cleaner idea, and it WORKED! It's a pain in the butt getting the ice box out of the way, but it still did the trick! I need to think of an easier way to do this next time, and not endanger the icebox, because you're doing some serious torquing on the rubber bellows and the other parts to get it off and back on. Not something you'd want to do very often. But, it worked, so Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same issue for me...but mine started after tranny replacement...

I noticed the EXACT same thing happen to me and the car is going back to the dealer for it after....

1. I noticed the sticking but thought it was because they had just redone the wiring of the TB and it had been sitting there for a while.

2. My intake started making a REALLY loud suction noise...almost as if I had a turbo installed yet instead of gaining power, I was losing power and hitting the rev limiters.

3. After taking my car due to #1 and 2, my D5 light started flashing, VSA light came on and car started flipping out.

Turns out that it was throwing up the code: "Auxilary Throttle Sensor Failure"...(not verbatim but close)

They reset the code and drove it a while....zip. The sensor was a little loose and it was corrected. The tech said that the only other time that he has ever seen that code is when the TB wire is cut when replacing a tranny. However, since lights were reset and the car seems very happy now they didn't take everything apart.

But seeing as this wire seems to have a link to a cut wire, I'm going to take it back in to them and let them know....

Ah, I love this site...
Old 01-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Bag O' Hammers

Unhappy

Now, I'm a bit concerned again. The fix worked great for one day, and now it's back to its old tricks. I wonder if the TB needs some lubrication in addition to cleaning? What does anyone think about recleaning the TB with carb cleaner, then shooting a little WD40 in there (with the engine off) around the valve hinges, let it sit for a few minutes to air out the WD40 vapors, then startup as usual?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Clean out the throttle body. DO NOT use carb cleaner or wd-40. Use a throttle body intake cleaner that is sensor safe such as Castle Cleans-Rite.

Or get a complete Engine de-carb service from the dealership. It usually costs around $99-$139 bucks but it makes a difference you can feel. Smoother idle, better throttle response, restores lost power and improves fuel economy. That service usually ( and should) include the throttle body cleaning service).