G35 Coupe Vs. CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 03:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe Vs. CL-S

What up guys. I have a 1st gen. CL and I'm looking to get rid of it soon. I really want a '03 Cl-S 6spd but Infiniti is dropping a G35 coupe in the fall with the same 260hp AND a 6spd tranny. Plus, it's RWD!!! What do ya think? Be as objective as possible. lol
Old 02-25-2002, 03:46 PM
aka davo-tsx

Sure it's a coupe? All I've seen is on the G35 Sedan. Car & Driver has a review in the latest edition. I just don't feel the style of the G35. Performance is neck and neck with what the CLS automatic is right now so the CLS 6-speed should out perform it. I kinda like the Cadillac CTS over the G35 IMHO.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Powered By HONDA

infiniti is more expensive than tls or cls..but if u have money to spend and u like the RWD..go for the infiniti...but if u like the vtec engine and FWD and honda cars..tls or cls are good...
Old 02-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Pro

Infiniti G35 coupe...

will have 280hp and 260 lb-ft of torque with RWD this fall and a 6 sp manual too.. u decide. =)
Old 02-25-2002, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

I know, plus the price should be around 35k loaded. I love Acura though, and they've treated me pretty good servise wise. The reliablility is on point also. I don't want to abandon the great reputation of Honda for the so-so reputation of Infiniti but.......
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Racer

I know we're all CL owners around here, but don't ya'll think you're be a little biased in your opinion about the new G35. This car is suppose to kick ass, even if it is a 4 door for now. Now I know many try to compare the CLS to the 3 series Bimmer, and we all came to the conclusion that the Bimmer is a lot more expensive for little gains. But this G35 is suppose to be right up against the 330c, based on handling, and speed...but not on interior quality. I think a stock G35 most likely will whoop a stock CLS. It's got 260hp, 260lbs. of torque, and RWD....and it's going to cost right around the price of a CLS or TLS. If I was you, I'd wait and test drive the G35, cause I think it might be a kickass car!
Old 02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
10th Gear

there was talk about the G35 coupe in Japan last year, but it was false, and the upcoming Skyline would fit that niche, and there is no mention of a coupe infiniti till '04-'05 when a "supercar" might be headed to state side!
...slick with the CLS, its lower and wider, and prob has more features standard!:P
Old 02-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro

I think you are mistaken

Originally posted by Dark_Knight
there was talk about the G35 coupe in Japan last year, but it was false, and the upcoming Skyline would fit that niche, and there is no mention of a coupe infiniti till '04-'05 when a "supercar" might be headed to state side!
...slick with the CLS, its lower and wider, and prob has more features standard!:P
Chekc out www.infiniti.com or http://www.j-cars.net/newcar.htm

Also mention of the G35 coupe in latest Road & Track
Old 02-25-2002, 04:35 PM
10th Gear

Indeed, the G35 coupe is coming and will be in show rooms before the year is out (fall/winter). I think I'll hold off and test drive it before I make any decisions though. I drove the Cl-S and was extremely impressed (especially with the interior).
Old 02-25-2002, 04:39 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Nissan's been flip-flopping on the official HP/Torque numbers for a couple of months. I have some G35 pamphlets from Infiniti that say 250 or 255 HP.

There's also a question of accurate performance figures. I think Edmunds road tested the Q45 and it's performance was not on par with the published 340 HP or 0-60 times.

To be fair, Nissan uses a trick variable capacity muffler that, like our TypeS's bypass valve actuator, if malfunctioning will result in decreased performance.

It is a nice car... (I'd like my GF to get one when her lease is up in December...)
Old 02-25-2002, 04:40 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Woodz
I know, plus the price should be around 35k loaded. I love Acura though, and they've treated me pretty good servise wise. The reliablility is on point also. I don't want to abandon the great reputation of Honda for the so-so reputation of Infiniti but.......
A friend priced out a G35 sedan. Think it was closer to 38k loaded. The price sheet is at www.nissannews.com. It the manual coupe cheaper?

Most marketing departments do a good job pricing a car competitively. It the Infinity cost more than a CLS, most likely you are getting more car for more money.

All about compromise.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro

Just priced one on www.infiniti.com...

Originally posted by Bluto

A friend priced out a G35 sedan. Think it was closer to 38k loaded. The price sheet is at www.nissannews.com. It the manual coupe cheaper?

Most marketing departments do a good job pricing a car competitively. It the Infinity cost more than a CLS, most likely you are getting more car for more money.

All about compromise.
and the most expensive one with Navi, winter package, sport-tuned suspension, premium package was 35,725 of course that is without destination charge.. other options not added on were wood package and aero package
Old 02-25-2002, 04:48 PM
10th Gear

With a sticker of 28K (as posted on the nissannews website) WITH leather, and 17in alloys I find it hard to believe that adding a nav sys (the only option) pushes the price to 38K. Plus, the whole idea is to offer an Infiniti that can under cut the 3series/IS/A4/TL-S in price but offer more features. I thinkin 35K with all options including sports package and nav sys. is more accurate. Either way, it's a nice car.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:03 PM

With a sticker of 28K (as posted on the nissannews website) WITH leather, and 17in alloys I find it hard to believe that adding a nav sys (the only option) pushes the price to 38K. Plus, the whole idea is to offer an Infiniti that can under cut the 3series/IS/A4/TL-S in price but offer more features. I thinkin 35K with all options including sports package and nav sys. is more accurate. Either way, it's a nice car.
Without: Sunroof, Bose, Xenon, Winter, Sport, Premium, can't really compare to the standard features on a CLS/TLS. Add it up, more like 38k.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro

Without: Sunroof, Bose, Xenon, Winter, Sport, Premium, can't really compare to the standard features on a CLS/TLS. Add it up, more like 38k.
The model I priced out on top already has all those features. The only things I did not add in were the aero package, wood package or full sized spare... all things you cannot find on the CL-S. check infiniti.com and click future models.. then G35.. then click 'I want one' and you will see where I prcied it out

Oh yea the premium package already adds the Bose, hopefully you did not add those two things together otherwise it would have been redundant
Old 02-25-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by e1828

The model I priced out on top already has all those features. The only things I did not add in were the aero package, wood package or full sized spare... all things you cannot find on the CL-S. check infiniti.com and click future models.. then G35.. then click 'I want one' and you will see where I prcied it out

Oh yea the premium package already adds the Bose, hopefully you did not add those two things together otherwise it would have been redundant
True. I just used the pricing sheet. It did not have any prices for packages.

I wonder if the manual will be a $1600 option, like the 350Z with Touring package. ouch.

Will the G35 coupe have a back seat?
Old 02-25-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro

True. I just used the pricing sheet. It did not have any prices for packages.

I wonder if the manual will be a $1600 option, like the 350Z with Touring package. ouch.

Will the G35 coupe have a back seat?
Yes the G35 is a 2+2 like the CL-S is. The 350Z manual is an additional $1600 with the Touring option, quite pricey and the only thing added are 18" rims to replace the 17" ones. The G35 with manual should be slightly under 3300 lbs I would guesstimate, since the auto version is 3369 lbs.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:57 PM
hater

The 350Z manual is an additional $1600 with the Touring option, quite pricey and the only thing added are 18" rims to replace the 17" ones.
Not entirely true... you also get VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control, like VSA on the CL-S) and the tire pressure monitor system. Those 18s come with some meaty tires too. 225/45/18 in the front and 245/45/18 in the rear with probably either the Pilot Sports or S-03s.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro

Originally posted by droideka

Not entirely true... you also get VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control, like VSA on the CL-S) and the tire pressure monitor system. Those 18s come with some meaty tires too. 225/45/18 in the front and 245/45/18 in the rear with probably either the Pilot Sports or S-03s.
Yup forgot about those things.. also forgot you ordered 6mt touring too..Haha I think you will be able to fit golf clubs in the trunk! What you think final hp will be on the 350z? Reading some wacky rumors ranging up to 315 (no thanks to monsterdog) and even 320 or as low as 280

P.S. Time to change your hotmail address.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

G35 -- love the design (especially the underbody diffusers for zero lift [although I would be even more impressed in the diffusers and underbody treatment was even more aggressive for positive down force at +75 MPH and up]).

I'll take the interior in my CLS over the pictures of what I've seen of the G35..

I do like the RWD mid-front engine platform.

As far as all of the cost arguments -- the "true" cost will be dictated by the supply-and-demand when it hits the show room.

Some "impartial" testing by "us common folks" would sure be helpful. I would consider giving it a test drive...

BTW -- It looks like a pain to mod some of the stuff, but who knows for sure (it's hard to tell from magazine pictures)...
Old 02-25-2002, 09:42 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Buy the Nissan...er, I mean Infiniti. I have 1 word for you...NISMO
Old 02-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Go for the G35 coupe if they coming out with one. The sedan one would be just fine too if you don't mind. I heard its like the new "Skyline" V35 model engine in the G35, only that it's under Infinte not Nissan class. I would get the G35 coupe or sedan over the CLS if i had a choice of either.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
hater

Originally posted by EricL
I'll take the interior in my CLS over the pictures of what I've seen of the G35..

...BTW -- It looks like a pain to mod some of the stuff, but who knows for sure (it's hard to tell from magazine pictures)...
Eric,

I spent a bit of time with a G35 that showed up at my dealer a few weeks back. The quality if the interior materials is nice, but those seats are W---I---D---E and offer nowhere near the support of the CL-S seats. They seem to be aiming for a much "plumper" demographic and did not inspire me AT ALL. A real let-down to say the least.

Look at all of that "titanium" trim. Anyone who thinks that that won't be scratched to shit within a week is in for a rude awakening. Ughh... Oh, and don't forget the GAY-ASS foot operated parking brake!

Check at the ram-air intake in the lower right-hand corner. This thing is going to BREATHE!

Close-up

I didn't get a test-drive at the time since this was a show car, but I will be doing so by around mid-March just for shits and giggles. I have no intention of buying it, especially with another first generation, manumatic 5AT.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Type SSS

Re: I think you are mistaken

Chekc out www.infiniti.com or http://www.j-cars.net/newcar.htm

Also mention of the G35 coupe in latest Road & Track
It looks like Z35 from Nissan .
Old 02-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

droideka:

See, that's what I mean (about mag pics vs. first hand look-see) -- that cool ram air == Nice!

From the pics in the previous R/T or C/D, it almost looked like two intake pipes (I was thinking: Plumber's nightmare).

From what I see from your pics, I wonder if the thing would even benefit from an add-on CAI. (Prediction: K&N will be making HP claims for filter element updates.)

The intake is setup for cool air ingestion, ram charge (at high velocity), and it's mounted up high (they learned something that BMW and others didn't about cold/ram air and hydrolock).

I like wide seats (to an extent), but if they don't have bolsters OR are too wide, then I start thinking 1970 Detroit luxo-barge bench seats. UGH!

(Well, I don't know if they are that bad... your comment(s) just makes me think of them...)

Hmmm, how about...

"Acura can do the inside and Nissan/Infinity can do the outside/underside (as a family project)"
Old 02-26-2002, 10:14 AM
10th Gear

Hmmm, how about...

"Acura can do the inside and Nissan/Infinity can do the outside/underside (as a family project)"

Yeah, I agree. The CL-S is killing the G35 in terms of interior amenities and overall design. Those seats do look kinda generic when compared to the Cl's. Still, I'm reallly feeling the shape, and the coupe should be even better.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Racer

The G35's exterior design leaves a lot to be desired. The same for the interior (where you will spend all of your time).

Performance will probably be less than the CL-S, as Nissan has a tendency of claiming higher numbers than actual.

G35 does not impress much!
Old 02-26-2002, 03:29 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the thing is ugly. For the price with the same options as a TL-S you could get a supercharged TL-S(if it ever comes out). It has a really long hood that is how it gets the balance it has. The main thing I do like about it is the CD and the zero lift from the diffusers and the rear wheel drive. But if you live near snow it isnt the best thing to have.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Gabo3k
The G35's exterior design leaves a lot to be desired. The same for the interior (where you will spend all of your time).

Performance will probably be less than the CL-S, as Nissan has a tendency of claiming higher numbers than actual.

G35 does not impress much!
And that is why the Maxima dynos at 200hp and 210 ft/lbs stock for the autos? I believe Cls/tls dyno less and they have higher advertised hp. My only point here is that the VQ has overachieved all expectations in the Nissan line. Nissan has fantastic powertrains and probably makes the BEST v6 engine in the world.

The conservative estimate is 6.5 0-60. The stock Maximas have been getting less than this with an auto (check out the org). The G35 will be faster than the auto Maxima because they are the same weight, but the G35 has more torque and RWD. R&T, C&D, Motortrend have all rated the handling as very very good. I expect it will probably handle waaay better than any FWD midsize sedan out there, especially with a 52/48 weight distribution.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nissan

Indeed, the G35 coupe is coming and will be in show rooms before the year is out (fall/winter). I think I'll hold off and test drive it before I make any decisions though. I drove the Cl-S and was extremely impressed (especially with the interior).
Dont forget about the 350z

But definetly go drive it 1st! I dunno about you, but I'm not going to buy another 1st year car myself!
Old 02-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Advanced

The G35 wins hands down. The CL-S does have some nice ass seats. But is honda even going to make the Cl-S for 2004. Rumors are it is getting axed because of bad sales. The 2003 CL-S is ugly because of the new changes. NO FOG LIGHTS WTF?? Didn't the 6spd Cl-S do 0-60 in 6.28secs. That is slow for a car with 260hp and a 6spd. The Altima did 0-60 in 5.9sec with a 5spd and less Hp.

And Infiniti is ranked #2 in JDPowers for quality and reliability. #1 is Lexus. And Honda and Acura aren't #3 or 4. What is up with the CL-S auto failures?? I wouldn't buy a auto TL or CL.