Fuel tank: I am puzzled..... read on.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 10:46 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel tank: I am puzzled..... read on.....

Today, the fuel tank was not on the Red light, still second bar above the E mark, I went to fill her up .....

I pumped 13.5 Gals at the auto-off click, then I said let me add a 1 more Galons ( no spills, short bursts ), and .... It did keep drinking... I said what the heck, and I kept pumping in short bursts.... my wife yelled at me to stop fueling and said I hit 15.8 Galons.... And still my CLS is swallowing more gas like a camel.....

WTF!, does the CLS has an overflow tank or an overflow drain pipe?!!!

from the auto-off till I stopped was 2.3 Gals of extra gas... and I was sure it would take more.....

and I had 303 miles on the fuel tank at 15.8 Gals that is less than 20 MPG.... winter milleage for sure, that sucks... back to lower than 20 MPG numbers.... thanks to EPA and their policies...

What do you think?
Old 11-05-2001, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do our cars have a vapor recovery tank? If they do, then the extra fuel that you pumped in may be going into that. That would be a bad thing because it'd render the tank useless.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura CL site with All specs: http://www.acura.com/model_CL/cl_spec_results.asp

Fuel Tank - 17.2 US gal. (65.0 L)

13.5 gallons ("at the auto-off click") + 2.3 Gals is the 15.8 you mentioned. You are still 1.4 gallons from the Acura spec. (unless the spec. given wrong).

At my Shell station, I can only put ¼ to ½ gallon more compared to the pumps' automatic click-off. NOTICE I said "pumps" -- plural. I've tested a few, and always use the same EXACT pump for mileage tests. In my previous car I was curious about WHY I could put in different amount of gas, after click-off, on different pumps (I did a little testing). So, each pump using the same nozzle design is already showing variations. Now toss in the fact that a number of independent and brand name stations use different pumps and nozzles and who knows what is going on.

IMO – I just don’t like the idea of topping-off (except in the case of long fast trips to your distant bunker). If you want to check your mileage, try (if possible) to use the same EXACT pump at the same EXACT station for your tests.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:33 PM
www.drippinwet.com

never try to top off the fuel
Old 11-06-2001, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by acura_service
never try to top off the fuel
If I'm really in the mood for not having a million pennies in my pocket, I'll roud to the nearest nickel. But I did top off the tank to the nearest doller in my old Legend once... bad idea. I had to patk on a five degree incline and when I come out to the car there was gas on the pavement. It was a hot day, so the gas must have expanded and escaped through some sort of pressure release valve. It wrinkled some paint on the bumper. The car smelled like gas for a month. So now the MAX I ever top off is a nickel. Maybe a dime if my timing is off.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:26 AM
Banned

Man - I can't remember the last time I paid cash for gas... I always use my debit card... hence no rounding problem.

BUT - I agree that you should never go beyond the pump shut-off - the manual even says something about it, I believe.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:47 AM
6 speed...

Originally posted by DRM600
Do our cars have a vapor recovery tank?
after three trips to the dealer for a persistent check-engine light, I can tell you that we do indeed have a vapor canister as part of the emissions control setup. when it malfunctions (a leak, in my case) you'll know about it (thanks, obd ii...)
Old 11-06-2001, 12:30 PM
Banned

Don't all new cars have to have one for emissions???

Originally posted by DRM600
Do our cars have a vapor recovery tank?
Old 11-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by autoxCLS
Don't all new cars have to have one for emissions???

What's a vapor recovery tank?
Old 11-06-2001, 01:33 PM
Banned

It's a small "tank" in the engine compartment, The tank takes excess vapors from the gas tank while the car is parked and traps them for usage. When the vehicle starts, vacuum is introduced into the tank, and the vapors are used in the engine.

Originally posted by Scorpius

What's a vapor recovery tank?
Old 11-06-2001, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

AS people have mentioned...

It is really unfriendly to the environment to top-off. I don't know about states (outside of the Peoples Republic of California, but there are signs -- all over the station I go to -- that BEG people to PLEASE DON'T top off. (Coming soon: “Spill a drop and we’ll drop you in jail” -- j/k )

There are people that get E-Codes (Error codes due to overfilling the tank).

Scorpius -- you remind me of that American Express commercial with Jerry Seinfield spinning the pump to the exact dollar amount (with a gas station attendant looking on) only to add a bit more gas and then pull out an AMEX card (I haven’t seen a station giving cash discounts in years)
Old 11-06-2001, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

YOU guys DO know that gas stations rip you off right. For example while the gas pump may say you put in 13 gallons your actually putting in only like 12 gallons or so. Gas stations ususally do this to make more profit and around inspection time they'll just reset it back to normal. How do I know this? cause my last car, the manual said 16gal and I could pump in like 19gallons into my car, so I asked one of my friends who owns a gas station and he said its normal practice unless the gas station owner is a real honest guy.

Oh i never pay cash for gas, always credit too much of a hassle to walk in to the store, then pay, then get change, then get back in the car.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
YOU guys DO know that gas stations rip you off right. For example while the gas pump may say you put in 13 gallons your actually putting in only like 12 gallons or so. Gas stations ususally do this to make more profit and around inspection time they'll just reset it back to normal. How do I know this? cause my last car, the manual said 16gal and I could pump in like 19gallons into my car, so I asked one of my friends who owns a gas station and he said its normal practice unless the gas station owner is a real honest guy.

Oh i never pay cash for gas, always credit too much of a hassle to walk in to the store, then pay, then get change, then get back in the car.

That is why it is a good idea to go to a station that you know. Also, if someone is really paranoid, put in 5 or 10 gallons (in lieu of a different amount)...

Quote from link:

" Authorities also believe the cheaters have figured out a way to make sure any purchase of 5 or 10 gallons is accurate because those are the quantities official inspectors test for...

http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/202...t_feature.html

Old 11-06-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

Doesn't the manual say you have to turn the gas cap at least three clicks so the check engine light doesn't come on?