front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front license plate?

I notice that many people don't have a front license plate on their car, and our cars do look a lot better without one. The problem is over the last week I've gotten pulled over twice for not having one on and this is getting to me. I thought the law was that if you don't have any holes drilled in by the factory then you are not required to have one put on? I'd like to have some advice on this. I think these cops are fishing, trying to find something else on me or something. Which I think is wrong. The good thing is that one guy gave me a warning and the other let me go after looking at my drivers license and insurance. I just want to know what the law really is and if it's worth it for me to get another license plate put back on which I don't really want to do....but I might have to so I can avoid getting pulled over. God I hate cops.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I haven't had a front plate on my cars in who knows how long....and have only been pulled over once for not having it.

Not having a front plate is only a fine, its not a moving violation (so, no points).

I don't care if I get stopped for no front plate. Give me a ticket, since there are no points involved......"I don't give a shit."
Old 05-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The law varies by state. You should be able to find your state laws online. For California for instance:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/pubs.htm

It verifies what the instructor said in traffic school recently when I asked: here, the law is if that send you two plates, you need front and rear; if they send you one, it's rear. Of course they always send you two here AFAIK.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:38 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the hell is a front plate???????

Old 05-20-2002, 06:42 AM
Racer

Hell, I don't like it either. But, in Texas it is the law. As a "man of color", I don't need the extra hassels. It looks like sh** but I put it on anyway.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:50 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by AztecRol
What the hell is a front plate???????
stop showin off stick to the bulbs...it's what yer good at!! LOL

in all honesty, i really feel for those who's bumpers have been drilled into to attach the front plate...TOTALLY unnecessary!!!! if i get my custom plates b4 PAA, i'll keep the front plate on...otherwise, it's so off
Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"SORRY OFFICER.........I broke the front plate bracket when I pulled in to the garage because I hit the wall........I have the plate in the trunk and a new bracket in order"
Old 05-20-2002, 11:57 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter

stop showin off stick to the bulbs...it's what yer good at!! LOL
:sqntfawk: :pfawk:
You are just jealous!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the law is fucking stupid. Someone told me that the cops aim the lasar off the front plate...don't know if that's true. I just put my plate in the windshield and have never had any problems. It looks tacky but better than on my front bumper.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:11 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by AztecRol

:sqntfawk: :pfawk:
You are just jealous!!!!!!
jealous of what, bitch??
Old 05-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last summer in Los Angeles I was pulled over twice (first was a warning, next a fixit ticket) within two weeks for no front license plate.

They're enforcing this in the LA region more activly. The cop that gave me a warning said that they were told to enforce the front license plate thing because of all the active stoplight cameras that were being installed. The cameras take a picture of the front of the car - license plate and face of driver - as you run that yellow, oops I mean red, light.

It seems like it would be worth the hassel of a periodic fixit ticket to avoid being captured by the camera system!

(I've since moved to Pennsylvania and they don't have front license plates here:P)
Old 05-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

hmmm... I guess this is an opportunity for us No-Fronters to show it off
Old 05-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I just got my new plates and I am not putting one on the front. I was stopped for speeding years ago and the cop gave me a ticket for not having a front plate instead of speeding to cut me some slack.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:43 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
hmmm... I guess this is an opportunity for us No-Fronters to show it off
car looks SOO much better w/o it!!!
Old 05-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 6speed
I just got my new plates and I am not putting one on the front. I was stopped for speeding years ago and the cop gave me a ticket for not having a front plate instead of speeding to cut me some slack.

I agree. At worst the cop will write you up for both, but from my observation cops ususlly don't pull over for front plate alone. All three of our cars have no front plates on and I drive them through town all day right past cops w/o problems.
Exception is when cops just want to F@#! with you (like they see a car full of "thugs"... hahaha
Old 05-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

...cops ususlly don't pull over for front plate alone...
Both times I was pulled over it was for the plate violation alone. The second time it was by a bicycle cop! (how embarassing). Both times were in residential areas where I was going maybe 15 - 20mph. No other violation cited or threatened.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Slimey

Both times I was pulled over it was for the plate violation alone. The second time it was by a bicycle cop! (how embarassing). Both times were in residential areas where I was going maybe 15 - 20mph. No other violation cited or threatened.
Well did you offer the cop a C-note... it should work.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Powered By HONDA

yah..that is what i am talking about... looks cooler and nicer...i do not have front liscense plate on since 1995.... i do not have them on either one of my cars... knock on the wood
Old 05-20-2002, 04:32 PM
I live life gear by gear.

Drivin in CA

I live and drive a lot in SoCal, I have 20k miles on a 01 cls that I took delivery in June of last year...

I took my front plate off when I got a drink after leavin the dealer...first priority. I got the run-around a few times with the cops about it, I live near UCR (rice-burner central) and what I did was ran down to my local car parts store(not to drop names, kragen) and nabbed some door edge moulding (with the glue) and ran that around my plate and shoved it in the right corner of the windshield, its half-visable and doesn't vibtate (hence the door moulding, and keeps its from scracting the glass and dash) and last time I got nailed for not havin a plate. (dumb cop didn't notice it was in the windshield) All he said when I pointed it out as 'thank you for keeping both plates visable, that's what we look for...'

So keep the plate in the window or have an excuse handy, I think someone mentioned that the bracket got broken off...be prepared people...those of you peeps in school, take a social engineering class and you can make good out of most situations...people are gulliable and cops are still people :o)

Happy Motoring!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

ahh c'mon, a better excuse would be i just washed my car today
and was detailing the bumper

Old 05-20-2002, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: front license plate?

Originally posted by ATXTypeS
I notice that many people don't have a front license plate on their car, and our cars do look a lot better without one. The problem is over the last week I've gotten pulled over twice for not having one on and this is getting to me. I thought the law was that if you don't have any holes drilled in by the factory then you are not required to have one put on? I'd like to have some advice on this. I think these cops are fishing, trying to find something else on me or something. Which I think is wrong. The good thing is that one guy gave me a warning and the other let me go after looking at my drivers license and insurance. I just want to know what the law really is and if it's worth it for me to get another license plate put back on which I don't really want to do....but I might have to so I can avoid getting pulled over. God I hate cops.
The Texas law does state that you must have a front license plate displayed, now where you want to have it displayed is pretty open just as long as it is viewable from the front. Generally though, unless you are getting pulled over for something else, they'll let it be. Now of course if the cop is having a bad day, then you have a more likely chance of getting a ticket for it.

Basically you run the risk if you decide to not display your front plate of getting a ticket in Texas for it. You've been pretty lucky that they have let you go with a warning.

Now I don't have a front plate either (I think it screws up the lines on the car ) but then again I try to not draw attention to myself either
Old 05-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by KavexTrax
ahh c'mon, a better excuse would be i just washed my car today
and was detailing the bumper

This is a good one ... and then the cop says... Well it looks real nice, now here is this ticket for ya to take care of... hehe. By the way nice shine

Another is I have a front scratch and am taking it in tomorrow.... Cops love these kind of excuses
Old 05-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Pro

how do you take off the front bumper? last time i looked real quick and i couldnt find what i needed to do. thanks

-briancl
Old 05-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Subie Dubie

We don't need no stinkin front plates

Actually we had a Sacramento meet one morning, met at a coffee shop and parked 10 or more CL-Ss out front all with the front bumpers showing and no plates. A little bit later a CHP drove by as we were all talking by the cars and he chatted with us about where we were going. He could of had a plate gang bang !! We thought it was pretty funny !
Old 05-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Banned

Re: Re: front license plate?

Been driving since Feb with no plate, and still no ticket! :P

I live in S.A, TX!

Originally posted by JSuppi

The Texas law does state that you must have a front license plate displayed, now where you want to have it displayed is pretty open just as long as it is viewable from the front. Generally though, unless you are getting pulled over for something else, they'll let it be. Now of course if the cop is having a bad day, then you have a more likely chance of getting a ticket for it.

Basically you run the risk if you decide to not display your front plate of getting a ticket in Texas for it. You've been pretty lucky that they have let you go with a warning.

Now I don't have a front plate either (I think it screws up the lines on the car ) but then again I try to not draw attention to myself either
Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Darth Chocolate

I would think that in a pro-conservation state like CA, they would cut their waste in half by issuing only one plate. We only have one in KY. In some states, like South Carolina, it seems that you don't even need one plate. All you need is a sign in the window that says "License Applied For."
Old 05-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I got 2 freakin tickets for no front license plates here in chicago....with my car just PARKED! It's bullshit I tell you!!!! I mean, isnt there enough crime in the city, that the cops had to just pull over and ticket my car parked? Both instances were in the downtown area.

So this is the deal, I have now 2 tickets in the city of chicago (that I'm not planning on paying). If I get 5 I can get potentially booted. So what do I do now? I took my front license plate and put moleskin on the back, then I made some soft velcro straps for the holes. When I park now, I just strap that bitch on the front.... I wish I had a digicam...it's a sweeet setup
Old 05-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by synth19

So what do I do now? I took my front license plate and put moleskin on the back, then I made some soft velcro straps for the holes. When I park now, I just strap that bitch on the front.... I wish I had a digicam...it's a sweeet setup
I believe in Cali, the law is that it is mounted "securely," now how secure is that velcro? Hehe I'd love to see it though...