Front end mask - how bad is it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end mask - how bad is it??

PLease respond with your experiences/knowledge of the ill effects (if any) of the Acura factory bra. Specifically, I would liek 3 issues addresed if possible:

1) Dirt/water/particles getting under the bra from rain/ washing and scratching the paint.

2) Moisture under the bra causing the paint to cloud/color distort over time.

3) Rest of the car fading over years hile front stays the same.

Thanks and I appreciate any info./ valuable opinions.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've been using the factory bra since April. I have not had any problems except for the hassle it takes to take it off and put it back on. But I am a fanatic about the paint so I use it to prevent chips from rocks and bugs. I don't have the front plate on so it basically covers the whole bumber. Most of the time the bra is on except in certain cases:
1. If it rains, I take it off asap so that no water (which attracts tons of dirt) gets underneath to cause condensation.
2. When I wash the car I take it off. I vacuum the bra about every 3~4 days and I wash it about every 2 weeks by hand. When I put it back on I use the Zaino spray to clean the front end.
3. If I know the car is going to sit in the sun for more than 3hrs, I take it off and use the Zaino spray before I put it back on.

If the bra is left on continuously in the sun after a few months there will be a noticeable difference in color and smoothness between the covered and uncovered area. If the bra is left on the car when it wet, this will just accelerate the process. I learned this the hard way about 7 years ago.
Hope this info helps. If you have more questions, let me know.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used to use the full mask a whole lot. i'd constantly keep the car properly waxed. but recently, i've noticed that the paint started to chip right under the head lights were the flaps go into. eversince, i haven't ben using the bottom part. as far a difference in color, my car is white so the diff in color between the covered and uncovered part is not noticeable.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:32 PM
Banned

Jesus, dude. Do you have any time left in the day after you get done with your OCD car bra?

Is a chip worth that kind of effort? What ever happened to the "5-foot test"... if it looks good from 5 feet, then viola!

Originally posted by cl-driver:
<STRONG>I've been using the factory bra since April. I have not had any problems except for the hassle it takes to take it off and put it back on. But I am a fanatic about the paint so I use it to prevent chips from rocks and bugs. I don't have the front plate on so it basically covers the whole bumber. Most of the time the bra is on except in certain cases:
1. If it rains, I take it off asap so that no water (which attracts tons of dirt) gets underneath to cause condensation.
2. When I wash the car I take it off. I vacuum the bra about every 3~4 days and I wash it about every 2 weeks by hand. When I put it back on I use the Zaino spray to clean the front end.
3. If I know the car is going to sit in the sun for more than 3hrs, I take it off and use the Zaino spray before I put it back on.

If the bra is left on continuously in the sun after a few months there will be a noticeable difference in color and smoothness between the covered and uncovered area. If the bra is left on the car when it wet, this will just accelerate the process. I learned this the hard way about 7 years ago.
Hope this info helps. If you have more questions, let me know.</STRONG>
Old 08-06-2001, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd have to say yes. The streets and highways in NY/NJ are pretty bad, especially when they do construction. All the debris, pebbles, stones, get kicked back very easily by the cars. I have driven in many states and NY/NJ is by far the worst. For me the effort is worth it. It only takes about 5 min to take off or put on.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: cl-driver ]