Forget the G35 the CLS is just as good

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st rule for coupes: Make it a looker.....

Coupes have to look hot. Plain and simple. Especially with the SUV craze. People would rather dish 35k on a SUV than a coupe. So you got to make your coupe look beautiful. These Affordable coupes that come to mind.

Original Lexus SC series
E36 or 46 BMW
CLK 430
Legend Coupe
Hell even the new Hyandai Tiburon looks good.
G35 coupe

Not too many are there? The CL, yes, it is a very nice car but it does not stand out at all exterior wise. And the CL name does nothing for it, so it's really hard to notice the car.

You see a G35 coupe, you glance twice, maybe 3 times. It's a looker. So even with the interior shortcomings, people will buy it. People look at this car. It grabs attention. People want attention in a coupe. We haven't even gotten to it's awesome driving dynamics.

Some people may not want attention in a coupe but there were not enough people to sustain the CL. So it's kuput.

Honda does bland styling period. I was reading the July CAr and Driver and they had a small paragraph on the new TL. From it you get the sarcasm that Honda thinks the concepts styling is "out there". They said it's a bigger TSX. Now in a sedan, bland styling is okay, Honda and Toyota (hell GM, Ford etc) sells millions of bland cars. But bland coupes are a no go.

In Car and Driver, read the 1st article on the CL-S (it was a gold CL) and read the 1st article on the G35. Styling was key.

and when it is discontinued it's appeal will rise becuase it will be the only 6 speed coupe from Acura with that level of power other than the NSX.
Nope. Power is one thing, control is the other. The CL (hell most cars) could have more power than a NSX and the NSX will feel 100% better.

Oh and the new Mini Cooper beat out the G35 and new Z for North America car of the year.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 1st rule for coupes: Make it a looker.....

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh and the new Mini Cooper beat out the G35 and new Z for North America car of the year.

not sure why you included that tidbit about the Z and G35, but for the record, the 03' 350z was the Automobile mag. car of the year and motortrend's was the g35.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Red Rider
Zero, the sways are awesome. It was the first suspension mod i did and i could feel the difference literally as i left the dealer parking lot !! As far as warning, i have not yet broken the back end, but i have come close and i believe the car was telling me you're close to the limit. By the way, do you plan on doing upgrades or do you believe that the Z is good enough stock ? Good luck with it
stock is never good enough seriously the Z could use suspension adjustment due to some understeer at its traction limits(or at least that is what I read solves the problem). The nismo Z S tune package looks good but the suspension stuff is going to have to come after I grab some new wheels/tires and FI because the stock setup is still pretty damn good for back roading.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Not trying to get people fired up but I've read numerous posts on people telling the starter of this thread to stop this post but they're the ones who are responding to it.

If I don't like a topic, I just don't read it. I don't see a problem with people starting similar threads even if the topic is old. Unless it's a technical issue (e.g. waste server storage space), I don't see a problem.

I personally like this thread because it's fun to argue for your car as long as it doesn't get nasty.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:49 AM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Have you ever driven a Z/G35c? Even if you say yes, I am highly doubtful, as I can't believe you are comparing their clutch to a truck.

BTW, the CLS clutch is far from wonderful. It's too light and over sensitive IMO. I think the shifter is smoother in the CL but your clutch comment is totally off base.
Yes I have. Several of each. I find the power train of the CL to be superior. engine + 6 speed transmission. The transmission of the z/g35 is not acceptable to me. (driving manuals for 40 years). I find the clutch to be just fine (after driving for a day). Seems natural to me. The Clutch on the G35 has extremely high effort. Why is the maxima (I also drove a new 6 speed) clutch light?

The handling of the G35 is better but not that much better. The tail of the G35 lets go suddenly. The CL handeling is surprizingly neutral (IMO) and its the only front driving that can power out of a corner and bite into the pavement. No you wont get around a road course as fast, but it feels very good.

All in all its a better driving experience for me. I'm sorry if you Z/G35 drivers cannot except the concept that all CL drivers would rather have your car and we are envious.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
I'm sorry if you Z/G35 drivers cannot except the concept that all CL drivers would rather have your car and we are envious.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....I'm sorry if you Z/G35 drivers cannot except the concept that all CL drivers would rather have your car and we are envious.

As much as people like to, fundamentally the CLS and G/Z don't compare with eachother. FWD != RWD. But that is just my opinion....

Sooner or later we'll all be previous CL owners, can't we just get along?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,953 Likes on 2,637 Posts
Heres my thoughts.

You guys totaly fell for it.

This andylau dude has 5 posts and all of them are negative in some way shape or form.

The two posts he has put on the car talk in last couple weeks have both been huge arguement starters. He wrote the first post and disappears to let everyone flame eachother. I'm sure hes just sitting back laughing.

So, basically you all let yourself get sucked into another pointless flame war by some schmuck who started a thread for this exact purpose.

Next time andylau starts posts I say just ignore it. He's worthless, doesnt contribute just starts fights.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by mattg
andylau = flamebait

he's probably an ae.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:30 PM

not sure why you included that tidbit about the Z and G35, but for the record, the 03' 350z was the Automobile mag. car of the year and motortrend's was the g35.
I was just rambling on....The Altima won the year before.

I have lost almost all faith in American car mags choices for their cars of the year. Nothing at all against the G/Z, I think they deserve it but their pics recently have been shitty.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Hey, isn't it great weather we're having??
Old 06-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Yes I have. Several of each. I find the power train of the CL to be superior. engine + 6 speed transmission. The transmission of the z/g35 is not acceptable to me. (driving manuals for 40 years). I find the clutch to be just fine (after driving for a day). Seems natural to me. The Clutch on the G35 has extremely high effort. Why is the maxima (I also drove a new 6 speed) clutch light?

The handling of the G35 is better but not that much better. The tail of the G35 lets go suddenly. The CL handeling is surprizingly neutral (IMO) and its the only front driving that can power out of a corner and bite into the pavement. No you wont get around a road course as fast, but it feels very good.

All in all its a better driving experience for me. I'm sorry if you Z/G35 drivers cannot except the concept that all CL drivers would rather have your car and we are envious.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Originally posted by oonowindoo
Old 11-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
Hasn't this topic been officially beaten to death yet? The G has it's advantages (RWD, bigger engine, more aggressive styling, etc.), and the CLS has it's own advantages (better manual shifter, more spacious, better interior, FWD handling for poor weather areas, costs less). Both are great cars. I'm quite happy with my CLS6, and plan to enjoy it for many years to come.

There will always be new cars coming out - some will become classics, some will become scrap, only time will tell. But not everything comes down to what the car can do in the 0-60 timeslip... if that's your thing, I recommend the Dodge SRT, for under $20K you can smoke most CLS and G35 drivers. In the meantime, I'll be cruising in style and modding till I get just the right combo of luxury and performance.
even if the dodge srt can smoke the cl and g35, id rather ride in style in the cl or g35
Old 11-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.. Please let's let this thread die!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Daily Driver

Agreed - we finally got past the CLS vs G35, let it die.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Racer

well i actually went to test drive the G35 Coupe AUTO compare to my CLS auto, i still like my car more tho, it's true that the exterior on the G35 look batter then ours, but interior, i still like mine batter tho, I don't know why, maybe i just can't accept the new thread of the new interior design
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't bring back this shit storm.

Originally posted by GunMetaL CLSPiG
it's true that the exterior on the G35 look batter then ours, but interior
Is that fact or opinion?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:54 PM

even if the dodge srt can smoke the cl and g35, id rather ride in style in the cl or g35
fOCKING NEWBS. Initial thread started with a dude with 5 posts. Revived by a newb with 6 posts...:noob: :noob: :noob: :noob: :noob: :noob: :noob: :noob:
Old 11-19-2003, 03:10 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

im happy wit my cl-s its my first car cant complain
Old 11-19-2003, 05:27 PM
something witty

IBTL
Old 11-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

IBTL
Old 11-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Racer

Hey - I got one of each -- trade off with G/F -- And I love 'em both

The G's more aggressive and the CL-S is more refined and lux and comfy. Dealer's choice, no pun intended.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:25 PM
///M POWER

i hate andylau
Old 11-20-2003, 04:39 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Okay, I'll end this one once and for all.....Ihave a G and I had an Acura CL-S Auto. Neither is worth arguing. It's a car fer chrsissakes! I loved 'em both. However.......the CL had a bigger trunk. Now if I can just find some bodies..........
Old 11-20-2003, 05:07 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by gto2050
Okay, I'll end this one once and for all.....Ihave a G and I had an Acura CL-S Auto. Neither is worth arguing. It's a car fer chrsissakes! I loved 'em both. However.......the CL had a bigger trunk. Now if I can just find some bodies..........

Yep...I haven't been able to kill one person since I got my G...the trunk is too damn small
Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Banned

i get a kick out of you guys saying the 01-03 CL-S has a "luxury" interior. have you ever seen a "luxury" interior????? i mean, G35 notwithstanding, the CL-S does not have a "luxury" interior. theres nothing about it that really stands out or screams "luxury" yeah, its NICE, its PRACTICAL, its WELL LAYED OUT, if FUNCTIONAL, its ATTRACTIVE but anyone who thinks the CL-S has a real LUXURY interior has never seen a luxury interior first hand. the new TL is a HUUUUUUUGE step up from the 01-03 TL/CL and could be considered luxury interior but to call the 2nd gen CL interior "luxury" is flat out dillusional. take a look at an audi A6 or a BMW 5 or 7 or practically any Benz...THAT is a luxury interior.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:29 AM
Revving at 9K...

Lock this bitch..
Old 11-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah lock this sucker especially after Jim's comments.

I'll agree if someone said it was a luxury car they'd be wrong, however the CL does have an entry-luxury car interior. Makes sense considering its an entry level luxury car.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by jimcol711
i get a kick out of you guys saying the 01-03 CL-S has a "luxury" interior. have you ever seen a "luxury" interior?????
I think what there are saying is that it is luxurious in comparison to your truck. :P But then again, so is a Civic.

Seriously, it is a matter of perception and branding. When my wife and I first went to look at the '01 CL-S (in March of 2000) we drive up in her E46 328i. This BMW had Sport and Premium packages so real wood trim, etc. When she first saw the CL-S she commented how the interior was nicer than her BMW and the CL-S was considerably less expensive. I showed her how many items were not up to the same level as her BMW which eased her a bit. But initial impressions are one that the interior is somewhat, albeit entry level, luxury.

When compared to lesser cars it has a luxury appeal. When compared to more expensive cars its entry level luxury status shows. When compared to cars in the same market segment it comes out towards the front IMO. But it does it in a different, Japanese, manner than European counterparts.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:54 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this has been beaten to death I'll just add my 2 pennies:

I love the G coupe and think it is slightly faster than the equivalent CLS and handles better. The 330 is great also but not better than the G. For the money I'd consider the G or the CLS. Each has its qualities so which is better is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

i get a kick out of you guys saying the 01-03 CL-S has a "luxury" interior. have you ever seen a "luxury" interior????? i mean, G35 notwithstanding, the CL-S does not have a "luxury" interior. theres nothing about it that really stands out or screams "luxury" yeah, its NICE, its PRACTICAL, its WELL LAYED OUT, if FUNCTIONAL, its ATTRACTIVE but anyone who thinks the CL-S has a real LUXURY interior has never seen a luxury interior first hand. the new TL is a HUUUUUUUGE step up from the 01-03 TL/CL and could be considered luxury interior but to call the 2nd gen CL interior "luxury" is flat out dillusional. take a look at an audi A6 or a BMW 5 or 7 or practically any Benz...THAT is a luxury interior.
and last but not least
Old 11-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by scalbert
I think what there are saying is that it is luxurious in comparison to your truck. :P But then again, so is a Civic.
and IBTL
Old 11-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i'd also get a g35 coupe over a 330c

but i would be PERFECTLY CONTENT w/a cl-s. esp. since they are so rare
Old 11-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Banned

please, go ahead, hurl your insults, but what i said is 100% true.

also, just for the record, my truck has heated side mirrors, real leather steering wheel, steering wheel cruise control buttons, infinity sound system, anti-glare/autodimming mirror, and someting the CL-S doesnt have at all, an information center including compass, outside temp, distance till empty, real-time MPG, average MPG, trip timer, etc.

im not saying its luxury at all, but to hurl insults at it is a joke. its way better than any civic
Old 11-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 11-20-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm Cool

also, just for the record, my truck has heated side mirrors, real leather steering wheel, steering wheel cruise control buttons, infinity sound system, anti-glare/autodimming mirror, and someting the CL-S doesnt have at all, an information center including compass, outside temp, distance till empty, real-time MPG, average MPG, trip timer, etc.

im not saying its luxury at all, but to hurl insults at it is a joke. its way better than any civic
heated side mirrors......yes
real leather steering wheel......define real
steering wheel cruise control buttons......whoa so dose the cls w/audio thingy
infinity sound system......subjective
anti-glare/autodimming mirror......autodiming huh, i think we have that
an information center including compass, outside temp, distance till empty, real-time MPG, average MPG, trip timer, etc........... we have navi
Old 11-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Geez, Jim can't take a joke anymore but yet he can spew garage at will.

100% true; not actually but it may be to you. You would have to qualify the statements in order to make that a broad claim.

But nice to hear about the truck being upscale. Are all these items sitting above and in front of the bench seat?? :P
Old 11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
jim sure do luv his taruck.

i think he may be a little jealous of us car owners though. :P

Quick Reply: Forget the G35 the CLS is just as good