Forget the G35 the CLS is just as good

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the G35 the CLS is just as good

Manual vs Manual about the same and Auto vs Auto about the same from 0-60 and interior is better on CL. I know the CL is being discontinued but it is not worth it to trade in your CL for 15to20k then pay another 20k for a infinti brand.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't argue with you there.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:07 AM
///M POWER

w3rd
Old 06-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts

but to each his own. there are many people out there that only keep a car for a year or two. if you can afford it why not?

i am very pleased w/ my cl. and i'm exited about my current and future mods.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
hey red rider, you have any time slips/dynos for your car? with all those mods your car's got to be rediculous fast
Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Daily Driver

Hasn't this topic been officially beaten to death yet? The G has it's advantages (RWD, bigger engine, more aggressive styling, etc.), and the CLS has it's own advantages (better manual shifter, more spacious, better interior, FWD handling for poor weather areas, costs less). Both are great cars. I'm quite happy with my CLS6, and plan to enjoy it for many years to come.

There will always be new cars coming out - some will become classics, some will become scrap, only time will tell. But not everything comes down to what the car can do in the 0-60 timeslip... if that's your thing, I recommend the Dodge SRT, for under $20K you can smoke most CLS and G35 drivers. In the meantime, I'll be cruising in style and modding till I get just the right combo of luxury and performance.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:04 AM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Aegean_Blue6, how did you remove your moonroof visor??? I have been interested in clamping it down, but never thought about removing it completely. You are talking about the metal flange which automatically pops-up when the sunoof is sliding back yeah?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:46 AM
Safety Car

Hopefully, the CLS6 will become another 6 speed Legend coupe. since it was in limited production for just a year!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:58 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The G35 is nice, but there are alot of people who don't want a rwd car to drive in the winter. I think the G35 is an awesome looking car, and if I lived in SoCal I'd probably spend the extra couple grand and get a 6 speed G35 over a CL-S. However, living up in Michigan doesn't realistically call for such a vehicle to be driven year-round. I think it's a natural comparison, but it is getting kind of old. Everything that can be said comparing the two pretty much has been stated.....10 times.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:45 AM
www.drippinwet.com

my wife only wants a fwd car - and after this past winter in the north east, i guess i can't blame her, i was looking at the infiniti's but the local dealer just pulled infiniti and replaceing them with land rover, something about ford wants jaguar dealers and land rover in the same buildings so infiniti is moving out to allentown, plus my work likes it if i buy from them, and with all the different franchises we have i'm sure i'll find something i like, maybe the new tl?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:00 AM

Who cares what's better. how many other luxury coupes are there out there right now?

That's why so many people who can't afford a high end luxury coupe are going from our car to the G35.

Personally, I'd never own own. The Infiniti brand doesn't have nearly the impact that other auto brands do.

The infiniti interior is ASS. All of them are poor, cept that new sport ute cross over thing. I like the big sedan too.

I wish Infiniti would come out with something really badass like Acura has the NSX.

The Luxury Coupe market isn't thriving right now. It makes sense that people are stepping to the Infiniti. For the $, I'd rather have the 330CI. ITs WAAAAY more of a drivers car than an Infiniti G35 is. More stylish too.

OR,

Wait another year, and pick up a certified preowned M3, with low miles.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSKid
For the $, I'd rather have the 330CI. ITs WAAAAY more of a drivers car than an Infiniti G35 is.
How do you figure? To me the cars are basically equal in terms of driveability. Both are RWD. Both have sports suspension and performance tires. Hell, the 6mt G has big ass Brembos. Can't say the BMW has that. Sport seats on each. And the G is way faster... Both handle wonderfully.... Unless you're defining "driver's car" differently, I don't see how the BMW can be called a better driving car???

More stylish too.
Interior, yes. Exterior, no. The e46 is and OLD look and will be redesigned soon. Yes the BMW is hot, but IMHO is doesn't touch the look of the G.

The difference was 7K between the cars when I was looking. Too much and that kept me from going over to the German make...

Drive the cars back to back and then tell me what you think. I'm pretty sure you'll find it hard to say one is better than another.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:38 AM
CL 6 speeder

G35 == Truck like clutch. No excuse for that. Typical Nissan. I like my Acura
Old 06-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Race Director

i've held back alot during these debates because people are so damn sensitive around here, but all I see is people ignoring solid facts. in just about every road test i've seen, reviewers marvel at the car's amazing performance value; it dominates the 330ci in stock performance. when's the last time a car in this price range has done that? the 330ci has been top dog for years. the g35 got the car of the year award for a reason. the CL has never been given that kind of accolade. The CL is a great car, but you're comparing a FWD car that was introduced 3 years ago, to a newer, RWD model. In the winter, the CL does dominate any of these RWD cars with it's FWD, which makes it a very good compromise for northeasterners. In regular driving conditions however, there isn't any contest. As for the clutch being truck like, and interior being 'ass' as you people like to call it...you people are sounding like a bunch of little nitpicky girls...even if this were true (and I believe you guys exaggerate like mofos just to prove your points) it's a VERY small price to pay for such a sweet performance value.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
jesus. what a :ghey: topic......... how many of these do we need?! The horse is dead.....stop beating it.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Daily Driver

Originally posted by greyjhu
Hey Aegean_Blue6, how did you remove your moonroof visor??? I have been interested in clamping it down, but never thought about removing it completely. You are talking about the metal flange which automatically pops-up when the sunoof is sliding back yeah?
Grey,

I had an external moonroof visor, they sell 'em for $60 or so, and they go on top of your roof. It did a good job of making the car nice and quiet with the moonroof totally open, and blocked some of the sunfrom my eyes if the sun was directly overhead. It didn't let enough air into the car, though, and after I heard it might damage the paint, I took it off. There's already a small line where it pushed the paint a bit, but you have to look for it to see it.

I might keep it around and use it for trips or something, not sure, but it wasn't for me.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

will these retarted threads please end? It's the same shit OVER and OVER and OVER again....
Old 06-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by cusdaddy
will these retarted threads please end? It's the same shit OVER and OVER and OVER again....

The CL is not made anymore. End of story. If I wanted to buy a new coupe, the CL is not an option anymore.

And the G35c having a truck clutch is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. My Z has a great clutch (which should be the same as the G35c) - better than the CLS 6-speed which is too light and sensitive IMO. But again, it's an opinion. The CLS 6-speed has a smoother shifter though

Please let these stupid topics end!!!
They are BOTH good cars...take your pick.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:48 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Having had 2 Legend Coupes I do not think the CLS 6 speed is going to have the long-term appeal of the Legend Coupes.
The CLS is not as distinctive and there are now, too many more popular alternatives and competition. THe LEgends were built in Japan too. An American made Honda is not going to be as unique, plus the Legend was a much more expensive car and had more value to hold on to for years.

PS- When I sold my Legend I stopped posting to the Legend boards since, hey, I don't drive one anymore. I certainly don't go there to post about the CL. If I wanted to read about Nissans I'd find a board for that. Can other car drivers move on too?
Old 06-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by 123456SPEED

PS- When I sold my Legend I stopped posting to the Legend boards since, hey, I don't drive one anymore. I certainly don't go there to post about the CL. If I wanted to read about Nissans I'd find a board for that. Can other car drivers move on too?
with that logic, this board will eventually SUCK then DIE. It'll end up being a high school ricer convention within a few years. I do agree these stupid threads must end. Funny though how they are usually started by a CL owner, and not a g35 owner. Same topic, same replies, over and over again...like groundhog day.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

When I sold my Legend I stopped posting to the Legend boards since, hey, I don't drive one anymore. I certainly don't go there to post about the CL. If I wanted to read about Nissans I'd find a board for that. Can other car drivers move on too?
I for one don't go here posting topics about my Z. I like reading the board and we have a good community here so I enjoy staying. I only respond to these posts that are getting really tired. This is the last time I post in one of these threads.

Finally, if everyone left who sold or are getting rid of their CL, we would lose most of the people who make and have made this board what it is, (eclipse, beltfed, nova, scrib, etc..) it would be a huge loss.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:25 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

It's true, the early purchasers of the CLS provided a lot of good info on the cars. If the 6 speed had been offered in 01, I would have been here earlier too.

I wonder how many would be selling if their CLs were manual instead of automatic?? Seems like all are going for the manual Z and G35s.

Acura sure screwed up on having a bigger success with this car.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:01 PM
I love my G sedan

Last time is TSX, this time is G35. Okay Andylau we know CL is the best in your eyes and brain.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
andylau = flamebait

he's probably an ae.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by zeroday
hey red rider, you have any time slips/dynos for your car? with all those mods your car's got to be rediculous fast
Zero, it's mucho Rapido No, i haven't done a dyno or the quarter yet, but i plan on doing both shortly. I would hope at least 275 whp, and upper 13s, it is the 5AT. Hammerman has a new 6 speed Z Track Model and we ran each other and i had him by a number of car lengths and he was goin for it. He told me later that every time he shifted i just pulled further ahead, that's where full boost and an auto really helps, even if it is only 4 P.S.I. or so. By the way, yesterday in the Sacramento twisties, we had 2 new Zs run with us and it was way cool. Hammer led and i was second and we set the pace and led by quite a bit, his Z was awesome in the twisties, but the modded CL-S was right with him all the way !! Our CL-Ss with mods are very good handlers, anyone who says they aren't, let's take a run
Old 06-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Red Rider
Zero, it's mucho Rapido No, i haven't done a dyno or the quarter yet, but i plan on doing both shortly. I would hope at least 275 whp, and upper 13s, it is the 5AT. Hammerman has a new 6 speed Z Track Model and we ran each other and i had him by a number of car lengths and he was goin for it. He told me later that every time he shifted i just pulled further ahead, that's where full boost and an auto really helps, even if it is only 4 P.S.I. or so. By the way, yesterday in the Sacramento twisties, we had 2 new Zs run with us and it was way cool. Hammer led and i was second and we set the pace and led by quite a bit, his Z was awesome in the twisties, but the modded CL-S was right with him all the way !! Our CL-Ss with mods are very good handlers, anyone who says they aren't, let's take a run
Nice, sounds like you've really taken your CL to the next level. Those comptech sways and springs must really transform the car in the twisties. My earlier 'cl vs. g/etc' performance comments were of course referring to stock CL's . One question about the sways..do they diminish your ability to guage the point at which the car has reached its traction limit in a turn? I was considering getting sways but I keep hearing they level the car out great in the turns, but give little warning to the driver about when the tires are coming close to breaking traction...maybe a good spring/sway combo is key?

btw California roads are amazing...i'm so jealous of the awesome roads out there...and no damn deer to worry about LOL.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:00 PM
hater

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
G35 == Truck like clutch. No excuse for that. Typical Nissan. I like my Acura
It's a man's clutch, Joe, or does Carol not like it?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by tmk70
They are BOTH good cars...take your pick.
No argument there. This should have been said 5 threads ago and left as that.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Having had 2 Legend Coupes I do not think the CLS 6 speed is going to have the long-term appeal of the Legend Coupes.
The CLS is not as distinctive and there are now, too many more popular alternatives and competition. THe LEgends were built in Japan too. An American made Honda is not going to be as unique, plus the Legend was a much more expensive car and had more value to hold on to for years.

Uh... no.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Started by 5 post newb..
Old 06-08-2003, 07:12 PM
CL 6 speeder

Car and Driver did give the CL a very nice accolade.. "best handeling front wheel drive car ever".. Not everyone wants a G35/350Z zeroday. Some like the way the CL drives better. Is that a difficult concept for you?
Old 06-08-2003, 07:17 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by droideka
It's a man's clutch, Joe, or does Carol not like it?
Its a terribly bit of unrefinement.. Sorry but it shows lack of engineering finesse. Why can the CL clutch be light with plenty of feedback and handle 260HP and the G35 has to built like a semi's? Because Nissan cut corners.

Honda seems to care about manuals. My tranny is very like the S2000. The Z was supposed to be but is not in my opinion. Not even close
Old 06-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Have you ever driven a Z/G35c? Even if you say yes, I am highly doubtful, as I can't believe you are comparing their clutch to a truck.

BTW, the CLS clutch is far from wonderful. It's too light and over sensitive IMO. I think the shifter is smoother in the CL but your clutch comment is totally off base.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:48 PM
EGH
Intermediate

The thing is, we have to spend about $4K to get to the G35C level 18" wheels. brakes, ssuspension, power (headers and intake). You can either jump to G35C and take the $ hit or soend the same money on your car.

Modded I think the CLS wins, except for looks, V-Tech F1 howl past 5K rpm better interior and better shifter. I mean damn, the CLS is basically a FWD NSX if you want to look at it that way ~300 bhp (with headers and intake) LSD, 6 speed and razor sharp handling.....and when it is discontinued it's appeal will rise becuase it will be the only 6 speed coupe from Acura with that level of power other than the NSX. The SRTs and Evos are in a different segment al together that's just power if that's all you want heck get a used 6 speed TransAm!!!

The Z and the G35 will become everyday - I was tempted to switch too but I remembered my Audi TT back in 2000 now TT's are like rice....no big deal. G35s and Zs deserve their props but the CLS, especially the 6-speed will remain distinctive & potent until Acura comes out with it's replacement to trump it.

You guys feeling me on this??
Old 06-08-2003, 10:00 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Yea I'm feeling ya but sport coupes need to look sporty and the CL doesn't. It won't increase in demand because of that.
But I don't think the CLS6 really has any direct competition, nothing out there I would want over it for the price!
The Legends held demand up because they were over $40k new so interest in used ones stayed strong for those who didn't want to shell out big $$.
I think the G35 is a rip-off above $28k. Did not seem like a $36k car when I drove it. More like a fancy Couger. Too small.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Car and Driver did give the CL a very nice accolade.. "best handeling front wheel drive car ever".. Not everyone wants a G35/350Z zeroday. Some like the way the CL drives better. Is that a difficult concept for you?
uh no?

did you even read what I posted? I would agree that the CL is the best FWD car ever. And no, the Cl never got car of the year. That was my point on the accolades...
Old 06-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
with that logic, this board will eventually SUCK then DIE. It'll end up being a high school ricer convention within a few years. I do agree these stupid threads must end. Funny though how they are usually started by a CL owner, and not a g35 owner. Same topic, same replies, over and over again...like groundhog day.
Now that's some funny shit. I don't want be no part of a "high school ricer convention"

groundhogs day
Old 06-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

think that accolade is the 'overstatement of the year', can imagine the integra typeR, mps protege, mini cooperS, neon acr, etc. running circles around the cls in handling.

there really isn't any argument, acura had 'it' but for some reason they let the ball drop when all they had to do was update it like the 04tl. so now the only thing to fight over is a gcoupe or 330ci, for now.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Yea I'm feeling ya but sport coupes need to look sporty and the CL doesn't. It won't increase in demand because of that.
But I don't think the CLS6 really has any direct competition, nothing out there I would want over it for the price!
The Legends held demand up because they were over $40k new so interest in used ones stayed strong for those who didn't want to shell out big $$.
I think the G35 is a rip-off above $28k. Did not seem like a $36k car when I drove it. More like a fancy Couger. Too small.

this is where the flame war usually begins..... bashing other cars when u dont even own one...
Old 06-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Subie Dubie

Nice, sounds like you've really taken your CL to the next level. Those comptech sways and springs must really transform the car in the twisties. My earlier 'cl vs. g/etc' performance comments were of course referring to stock CL's . One question about the sways..do they diminish your ability to guage the point at which the car has reached its traction limit in a turn? I was considering getting sways but I keep hearing they level the car out great in the turns, but give little warning to the driver about when the tires are coming close to breaking traction...maybe a good spring/sway combo is key?

btw California roads are amazing...i'm so jealous of the awesome roads out there...and no damn deer to worry about LOL.
Zero, the sways are awesome. It was the first suspension mod i did and i could feel the difference literally as i left the dealer parking lot !! As far as warning, i have not yet broken the back end, but i have come close and i believe the car was telling me you're close to the limit. By the way, do you plan on doing upgrades or do you believe that the Z is good enough stock ? Good luck with it

Quick Reply: Forget the G35 the CLS is just as good