Flashing your headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing your headlights

Do you flash your headlights at cars in the right lane before you pass them on the left? In the left lane before you pass on the right? Day or night? At any speed or high speeds only? Is it uncool? Dangerous (you might piss off someone)? Trucks and/or cars?

If I am going very very fast and the vehicle I am overtaking is going slow, I flash. Ocassionally I flash left lane bandits when I pass on the right at night. That's about it.

I'm thinking about starting to flash more often because I've had more than one confused individual nearly cause an accident with a sudden lane change.

We need to realize how quickly we approach some people. Remember that "he just came outta of nowhere...." saying?

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Instructor

If I remeber correctly when I recently moved to north carolina I had to retake the written driver's exam(required for new residents). I believe in the driver's manual to pass a person on the freeway, it says to to actually signal first, then get this, you are supposed to honk your horn to let the driver in front of you that you are passing him, and by honking your horn, the driver ahead of you is in legal obligation to help you pass him by slowing down.(This is what is written in the NC Drivers manual) I think I would receive the bird if I honked at the driver ahead of me.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards

[This message has been edited by rsuzara (edited 03-12-2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 07:23 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsuzara:
If I remeber correctly when I recently moved to north carolina I had to retake the written driver's exam(required for new residents). I believe in the driver's manual to pass a person on the freeway, it says to to actually signal first, then get this, you are supposed to honk your horn to let the driver in front of you that you are passing him, and by honking your horn, the driver ahead of you is in legal obligation to help you pass him by slowing down.(This is what is written in the NC Drivers manual) I think I would receive the bird if I honked at the driver ahead of me.
</font>
Honking before passing a car in front of you sounds like a recipe for road rage. That doesn't seem like a very good rule to follow.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:23 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsuzara:

</font>
That is too funny. If you pulled that SH&* out here in cali, 1. you would get cut off 2. flipped off 3. then shot at.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1
Old 03-12-2001, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In jersey if your honking your horn your dead meat. The only time my horn honks when I'm driving is when the side my girlfriends head hits the steering wheel while she's working it LOL.

------------------
The #1 Corolla errr I mean IS300 Killer.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:27 PM
Instructor

[/b][/QUOTE]
That is too funny. If you pulled that SH&* out here in cali, 1. you would get cut off 2. flipped off 3. then shot at.

[/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I am saying!!

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (2" Drop)
Old 03-12-2001, 07:27 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Do you flash your headlights at cars in the right lane before you pass them on the left? In the left lane before you pass on the right? Day or night? At any speed or high speeds only? Is it uncool? Dangerous (you might piss off someone)? Trucks and/or cars?

If I am going very very fast and the vehicle I am overtaking is going slow, I flash. Ocassionally I flash left lane bandits when I pass on the right at night. That's about it.

I'm thinking about starting to flash more often because I've had more than one confused individual nearly cause an accident with a sudden lane change.

We need to realize how quickly we approach some people. Remember that "he just came outta of nowhere...." saying?

</font>
Here in NJ, flashing a slow person in the left lane will get you killed. They will slow down or slam the brakes on. On a 2 lane road, absolutely flash as most people do not check their mirrors and you wanna warn 'em. NJ has a law that is keep right except to pass. Most people abide by it.

I like the German method. The first sign on the autobahn that someone wants to pass you is the left turn blinker, the next warning is the brights, the third warning is a light tap on the bumper and there is no fourth warning. People don't idle in the left hand lane there.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 03-12-2001, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is a matter of degree.

1. If you flash someone to let them know there lights are off (around some bad places in So Cal), you just might end up with a bullet from a gang initiation.

2. If you flash on single lane roads and do it with a brief flick, most reasonable people with pull over, but the times they are a changin.

3. I have used the flick for driving on the freeway in the number 1 lane (nearest to the center [aka fast lane]), and if I just give a quick flick, someone will or will not pull over. If they don't, I just don't try again, and figure out how to "gracefully get around them". Too many people with guns.

4. I would never flash someone in the right lane.

BTW -- these days, my blood will boil like any other human when stupid driver crud happens. However, the thought of having a 44 or UZI going off at me or my passengers gives me great pause. Heck, I had one guy spit on my car -- in traffic -- for waiting for an intersection to clear before proceeding. I just let him go, not worth a RIP tag.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-12-2001, 07:39 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tuleman:
Originally posted by rsuzara:

</font>

In a second!!!

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 03-12-2001, 07:47 PM
At least it's not Jersey

It's the complete opposite in CT. (most) People know better than to hang out in the left lane for to long if some one is trying to pass. But then you get the people for RI who are so conditioned to going the speed limit b/c the RI state police have nothing but time to do speed enforcement. Then there are the New Yorkers who either forget they have rear view mirrors or just don't care. I don't even try to get them to move. Once I see the plate, I make my own path around them. Ahhh, Connecticut... come here to speed!
Old 03-12-2001, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

No. I flash when the other car's lights are off or I want the car in front of me to move over to the right.

If you flick the brights before passing on the right, you and the courteous driver in front of you who moves instinctively right are going to find yourself in the same place at the same time. Seems like a bad result to me.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
Silver
Just like it came from the dealer (except an ashtray)
Old 03-12-2001, 08:19 PM
Race Director

Ok, guys....I live in Kansas. It's still okay here.

I know what you mean.....

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Ok, guys....I live in Kansas. It's still okay here.

I know what you mean.....

</font>
I'm showing my age, but 20year ago in LA, you could flash someone, and they would pull over in a second. It was like the Autobahn.

I had this thought about us guys flashing other CLs (we did this with the old 2002s). But now with the gang thing, I wonder if this would be so great.

Enjoy your civilized residents, while we look for kevlar and bullet proof glass

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-12-2001, 08:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
some dude came up on me really fast in the slow lane on my way to SD this weekend. He flashed his lights and shit at me so i then ducked out of the way, he then went into my lane and flashed his lights. He then pulls up next to me and throws something at my car so i'm real pissed. He try's to speed off and doesn't do nothing. Traffic slowly catches up to him and i notice him high beaming someone else. I eventually passed him and got off the freeway to get some gas at this 76. He pulls up to the pump next to me notices my car, i could see him looking out the window to find the driver (me) so i made my self obvious, he then sped out of the station
Old 03-12-2001, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Yah, I never tried the honking stuff cuz I know that if someone did that to me, a little road rage would be in hand...unless its another CL owner!!!

------------------
2001 3.2CL-Type S, No Navig., Satin Silver, Spoiler, mudguards
Old 03-12-2001, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
some dude came up on me really fast in the slow lane on my way to SD this weekend. He flashed his lights and shit at me so i then ducked out of the way, he then went into my lane and flashed his lights. He then pulls up next to me and throws something at my car so i'm real pissed. He try's to speed off and doesn't do nothing. Traffic slowly catches up to him and i notice him high beaming someone else. I eventually passed him and got off the freeway to get some gas at this 76. He pulls up to the pump next to me notices my car, i could see him looking out the window to find the driver (me) so i made my self obvious, he then sped out of the station </font>
76 rules

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17X8 SSR Competition Wheels (47.2 lbs lighter than stock wheel+tire setup)
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.93 seconds
Old 03-12-2001, 11:59 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

4. I would never flash someone in the right lane.

</font>
i wouldn't either--would seem too confusing to the other guy--then again, i can't imagine the last time i flashed or honked at anyone...i just keep movin'--fukem

maybe one day we'll get a clue and play by autobahn rules.