At First Glance: 6-Speed Clutch Combinations

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetKA
you dont understand the problem... once you get harder on gas and rev engine above 5k rpms the clutch gets harder and engagment point is very very low... weird thing is that its hydraulic and really i dont know whats that... sometimes clutch pedal stay low and doesnt want to go back to normal position... i drove friend's G35 he had same problem and that was pressure plate but in G35 you cant say it gets harder bc the clutch is so firm and hard already and in the CL is like SHIT like you put hot knife into butter...
there are centrifugal weights on some clutches which will do that, but not the cl though, i am 99% sure (mainly a diesel engine application thing, but there are exceptions though)

and anyways almost by what you are describing, it might be a bent/warped pressure plate assembly or something, and when it revs, the "warped" section is moving fast enough, that is kinda causing the throwout bearing to litially "float" there, which could easily cause a low pedal, that does not sometimes return

but also is it a hard or soft clutch which you are complaining about , cause you mentioned a hard pedal earlier

anyways who did the clutch before??? you or a shop???, might have been bent in the installation process, and finally showing up
also was the pressure plate replaced with another one at the same time, or was a friction disk just put in, just trying to get full history here
but you also might have an hydrualic problem also idk
Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i dont know but one post from hard clutch thread...(not my)

but here you go

this turns out to be the same issue for everybody, maybe my failures can save others some money. It's been pretty expensive for me so far. That said, here's what I've done. Acura replaced my clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate. The last time I went in for service I asked if they replaced the release bearing as well. In their notes they showed that they did indeed replace the release bearing. I've personally replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and the clutch damper on the hydraulic system. So, for my car, it has to be something other than those things unless my Acura dealership is misrepreseting their work or there were faulty parts somewhere.
my clutch did a shop all parts was oem and a changed everything but no flywheel... alot of ppl have this problem as you can read the thread not only me so im sure my clutch was done properly. flywheel was resurfaced at the shop who knows a stuff like this it took them 3 hours bc its dual mass.

i think that may be two other problems the hard clutch and my slippage from time to time.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by StreetKA
i dont know but one post from hard clutch thread...(not my)

but here you go

my clutch did a shop all parts was oem and a changed everything but no flywheel... alot of ppl have this problem as you can read the thread not only me so im sure my clutch was done properly. flywheel was resurfaced at the shop who knows a stuff like this it took them 3 hours bc its dual mass.

i think that may be two other problems the hard clutch and my slippage from time to time.
now we are getting somewhere lol, but geneally speaking though, with a good resurfacing job, the flywheel is basically good as new, so no issues except for the fact that thery took 3 hours to do it, normally like a 15-20 minute process, 30 at most
but that is also why resurfaceing a dualmass is pointless, with the amount of time you try getting it perfect (hopefully), easier to just go get a new one
but i do know the the stock flywheel is has two steps on it, one is where the disk grabs/holds onto, and the other one is where the pressure plate bolts to, and if those two are not machined the same amount (taking off the same thickness), you can easily get a slipping clutch then, from the pressure plate not being able to apply full pressure to the friction disk, cause it is too far out of reach now

and normally clutches take some force at first to apply, and now because the clutch disk is too far away the spring's fingers (it is like a stamped spring btw, let me find a picture shortly), are at a shaper angle now, which is harder to intially compress

Last edited by friesm2000; 05-18-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
B A N N E D

btw a proper flywhell grinder http://www.kwik-way.com/products/PDF...5000_10000.pdf
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
B A N N E D

and btw the slipping has only shown up once the flywheel has worn down a little
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM
B A N N E D

a stepped flywheel design, ty 04accordcpe for the pic (black portion is the friction surface, where the shiny outter ring is where the pressure plate mounts

then also in the pressure plate (the white thing), tose blank fingers in the center of it are part of the spring itself, which puts the pressure on the friction disk

Last edited by friesm2000; 05-18-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
B A N N E D

a good picture of a clutch spring
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
bleed the system. see if that helps ur low pedal problem
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

if i dump the clutch from 1st to 2nd it grabs very very low i would lowest as possible.
when i floor it on 1st or 2nd and change gear normaly and easy the problem still apears but not that bad... i can drive like that but i would like have peace of mind that i go to Canada ill make it without a problem. i do drive calm now and everything is perfectly fine...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
B A N N E D

simple the clutch has time to fully grab (or more) during those calm shifts, compared to when you shift hard and such, and you probably also are able to rev match better too, when not gunning it around
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

this clutch was never able to do burnout from 2nd gear NEVER... the slipage isnt that bad yet but the hard clutch makes me think if some day i wont be able to put into a gear.

rajca says to remove slave and bleed the system do you agree with that? i've heard that if you remove damper, clutch gets worse faster
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
B A N N E D

bleeding would never hurt, but if there was air in there the pedal be soft and low, not hard and low, so i don't think that would be the issue though
and as far as being able to get it into gear, no worries there, there are ways to drive with a non-disengaging clutch, but like you gotta turn off the motor at every stoplight and such though, then shifting you have to rev match it, then gently but quickly get it into the next gear (aka a pain in the ass to drive but dueable though)
more the issue i see is how it is slipping and what if that gets too bad, and slips too much, can't go anywhere then

as far as the checkvalve, making clutch go bad sooner, all depends on your driving, and people who normally do that mod, also drive hard on their clutch, so yeah it is going to wear out sooner, but more from the driver itself then anything
if you drive like a normal person, that checkvalve should never be an issue, it's when people drive hard they notice the valve
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
removing the check valve and damper wont make the clutch go bad sooner. if anything it will extend the life bc its not slipping before it grabs. search the 3rd gen tl side for that
Old 05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Rajca
removing the check valve and damper wont make the clutch go bad sooner. if anything it will extend the life bc its not slipping before it grabs. search the 3rd gen tl side for that
true, but also people doing that, are also dropping there clutch alot more often though, with normal driving, that check valve does not matter

but still 30k is kinda early for a clutch to go bad, something is not right with the setup itself (i think the flywheel was not machined proper) or he is just hard on the sucker